Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Riding group for older or slower riders? (Read 32430 times)
DG
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Riding group for older or slower riders?
Reply #160 - 12/21/18 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
MTB4U wrote on 12/20/18 at 2:08pm:

I've been trying to get into better shape for it, DG, but it's been difficult with all the rain we've had. 

Me too, here it is snowy and cold. But I will try it anyway. I will go slower than usual for sure

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #161 - 12/21/18 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
So I went for some tests because I was getting out of breath a lot , in instances where I usually did not get out of breath. I got diagnosed with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. And the recommendation my doctor gave me ,was to keep riding, but when I got out of breath. To stop and catch my breath, instead of trying to push through it. So I've been doing that all summer. I've sort of reached a pinnacle where  all I can do, is just try to lose some weight and enjoy being outside on my bike. But now, nobody wants to ride with mw, because I have to stop a lot Sad

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
GTalk  
IP Logged

SundayRidesOver

It's All Downhill From
Here!

Reply #162 - 12/21/18 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 12/21/18 at 3:29pm:
So I went for some tests because I was getting out of breath a lot , in instances where I usually did not get out of breath. I got diagnosed with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. And the recommendation my doctor gave me ,was to keep riding, but when I got out of breath. To stop and catch my breath, instead of trying to push through it. So I've been doing that all summer. I've sort of reached a pinnacle where  all I can do, is just try to lose some weight and enjoy being outside on my bike. But now, nobody wants to ride with mw, because I have to stop a lot Sad

Douglas, do you only ride MTB?  Just wondering if you have the same thing when riding on the road.  I know I don't get out of breath nearly as bad on the road.

IP Logged

MTB4U
Coaster Bike

AKA: MTBSurfer

Reply #163 - 12/21/18 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 12/21/18 at 3:29pm:

I don't mind.  I like to stop, catch my breath, and take in the beauty of NC trails. 
« Last Edit: 12/22/18 at 1:22am by MTB4U »  

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #164 - 12/23/18 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
SundayRidesOver wrote on 12/21/18 at 4:17pm:

Douglas, do you only ride MTB?  Just wondering if you have the same thing when riding on the road.  I know I don't get out of breath nearly as bad on the road.

Same here.  I'm a lifelong asthmatic, and the steady pace of road riding suits me well.  I still love mountain biking but the harder efforts, such as an intense/steep climb, really take the wind out of me and I have to often stop or just pedal realllly slowly once I get to the top to get my breathing back to normal.

Over the last few years my road riding has increased significantly while my mountain biking saddle time has dropped, but I've found the consistent road riding has actually made mountain biking easier on my lungs.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #165 - 12/24/18 at 12:36am
Print Post  
It is more of a hard effort kind of thing. When I try to ride with a group, a social pace always turns out to be a little more. So when I rode bike, if I take a nice slow pace I'm ok. But hit a hill, I'm sorta done for. I used to love to climb, especially when road cycling. Now it seems to be getting worse. I like mountain biking because of the lack of automotive traffic. I was on the Itusi today. When I hit a climb and got winded,I jumped off the bike and walked. Seemed to help in covering more ground. This thing has really snuck up on me. Just last spring, I could do the whole Wildlife section with little discomfort. Now, I get so winded and get coughing fits. That I look for shortcuts to quit early😥
« Last Edit: 12/24/18 at 12:37am by Impaler 58 »  
GTalk  
IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #166 - 12/24/18 at 10:08am
Print Post  
I never realized how being overwight affects being on the bike. So how do I lose weight biking, when I get so winded. Is it alright to go out and do a low amount of miles until some weight loss starts happening?

GTalk  
IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #167 - 12/24/18 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Gotta limit the caloric intake to take weight off or increase activity to burn it off.  I do both, but this time of year, its really tough.  Too much rich food and lots of rain make it hard to get on the bike enough.  I hate trainers, rollers, but they do work.  Just can't stay on them long enough.

IP Logged

SundayRidesOver

It's All Downhill From
Here!

Reply #168 - 12/25/18 at 3:14am
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 12/24/18 at 10:08am:
I never realized how being overwight affects being on the bike. So how do I lose weight biking, when I get so winded. Is it alright to go out and do a low amount of miles until some weight loss starts happening?

DOUGLAS:  You may want to consider an eBike.  I test rode one today at Performance and was impressed.

IP Logged

MTB4U
Coaster Bike

Reply #169 - 12/25/18 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
SundayRidesOver wrote on 12/25/18 at 3:14am:

DOUGLAS:  You may want to consider an eBike.  I test rode one today at Performance and was impressed.

I actually have an e-bike that I used as a second car to commute to work in California.   Never tried one on the trails, but I'm sure it would be a great help if you are having health issues.  They're not cheap though.
« Last Edit: 12/25/18 at 5:13pm by MTB4U »  

IP Logged

MTB4U
Coaster Bike

Reply #170 - 12/25/18 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Hard to lose weight over the holidays.
« Last Edit: 12/25/18 at 9:58pm by MTB4U »  

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #171 - 12/26/18 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Can't afford a E-Bike at the moment. But there on my radar. May have to wait 2-5 years Huh

GTalk  
IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #172 - 12/28/18 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 12/26/18 at 10:35am:
Can't afford a E-Bike at the moment. But there on my radar. May have to wait 2-5 years Huh

Can't afford or scared of hate messages from e-bikes haters?

IP Logged

MTB4U
Coaster Bike

Reply #173 - 12/28/18 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
DG wrote on 12/28/18 at 3:58pm:

Can't afford or scared of hate messages from e-bikes haters?

When I used an e-bike to commute to work in California, the lycra clad, bike racer dudes used to yell at me.  But who cares?
« Last Edit: 12/28/18 at 6:50pm by MTB4U »  

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #174 - 12/28/18 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
MTB4U wrote on 12/28/18 at 6:14pm:

When I used an e-bike to commute to work in California, the lycra clad, bike racer dudes used to yell at me.  But who cares?

Then they use hidden ones in their bikes... I personally dislike haters/trolls/followers etc. They are against just because it is cool. In Italy every race has an ebike group. Of course you get pissed when you struggle and they pass you at full speed but at the end they race their own peers.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #175 - 12/28/18 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
MTB4U wrote on 12/28/18 at 6:14pm:

If sunday we have open trails do you want to go riding? i need to get a little bit ready.

IP Logged

MTB4U
Coaster Bike

Reply #176 - 12/28/18 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
DG wrote on 12/28/18 at 9:12pm:

If sunday we have open trails do you want to go riding? i need to get a little bit ready.

Sure!  I can ride in the afternoon on Sunday.  If it's too wet, I plan to do laps on the access roads at Beatty.
« Last Edit: 12/28/18 at 10:05pm by MTB4U »  

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #177 - 12/30/18 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
MTB4U wrote on 12/28/18 at 10:04pm:

Sure!  I can ride in the afternoon on Sunday.  If it's too wet, I plan to do laps on the access roads at Beatty. 

Looks like access roads is the only solution. I will on my mobile so we can decide what time to meet.

IP Logged

Greg E

Reply #178 - 01/27/19 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I’m on the slower side  Grin (about 7 mph avg) and usually end up riding alone, mostly for that reason. Always down to meet new riding buddies tho

A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something.

IP Logged

MTB4U
Coaster Bike

Reply #179 - 01/27/19 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Greg E wrote on 01/27/19 at 2:08pm:
I’m on the slower side  Grin (about 7 mph avg) and usually end up riding alone, mostly for that reason. Always down to meet new riding buddies tho

That sounds just like me.  I enjoy the ride more when I take my time anyway.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print