Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Riding group for older or slower riders? (Read 32460 times)
Big Chuck
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Riding group for older or slower riders?
Reply #200 - 05/04/19 at 2:48am
Print Post  
Thanks Dave

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"By His Grace I Ride,Ride On"
Big Chuck
IP Logged

Greg E

Reply #201 - 05/04/19 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Anyone want to get out before the rain comes? I have a small window, about an hour to ride... so have to stay close...Sherman or Purser....maybe about 930 or 10 am today

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #202 - 05/08/19 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Greg E wrote on 05/04/19 at 12:00pm:
Anyone want to get out before the rain comes? I have a small window, about an hour to ride... so have to stay close...Sherman or Purser....maybe about 930 or 10 am today

We might go tomorrow night at Purser if you want to join

IP Logged

Greg E

Reply #203 - 05/08/19 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
I can’t tomorrow but thank you

A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something.

IP Logged

Big Chuck
Coaster Bike

Reply #204 - 05/10/19 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Provided the weather is good,  anyone interested in a ride tomorrow morning? I'm open to anything from Lake Norman to Anne Springs.

Big Chuck
IP Logged

Greg E

Reply #205 - 05/11/19 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Gonna try to get a ride in at Beatty this morning before rain comes in. Looking at about 9am if I can get there that soon

IP Logged

wtacoma

Reply #206 - 05/25/19 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Do any of you ride the mountains? Brevard, Fire mountain, Pisgah, etc. I've been living in this area over 12 years and have not ridden them yet. Mostly for the lack of someone to ride with. Would not want to get lost or injured in unfamiliar territory.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #207 - 05/26/19 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
wtacoma wrote on 05/25/19 at 9:50am:
Do any of you ride the mountains? Brevard, Fire mountain, Pisgah, etc. I've been living in this area over 12 years and have not ridden them yet. Mostly for the lack of someone to ride with. Would not want to get lost or injured in unfamiliar territory.
I used to go to Brevard 3-4 times a year. But then I got a medical condition that causes me to get out of breath really quick. If you do go alone, the area bike shops will tell you all the cool places to ride. There are some trails that are pretty straight forward. It's not easy to get lost on lower Black Mountain. Further away, off of 40, you have Kitsuma. Which is fairly easy to follow loop. I haven't rode much of DuPont, but Ridgeline loop and Burnt Mountain are easy to follow. I've done all of these trails by myself, and I don't worry about getting lost or injured. There's a lot of climbing, so hike a bike sections are safe

GTalk  
IP Logged

MTB4U
Coaster Bike

AKA: MTBSurfer

Reply #208 - 05/26/19 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
wtacoma wrote on 05/25/19 at 9:50am:

Would love to ride the mountains, but haven't been there yet.  How far is the drive from Matthews?

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #209 - 05/27/19 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Depends which section of mountains but the most popular area is Brevard which is pretty much the MTBing capital on the East coast. It's about 2 and a half hours. Kitsuma is in Old Fort and is a bit closer. The closest section to get too in the Appalachian is in Morganton but it's the most difficult to navigate and I would not recommend for starting out. This area is refered to as Willson Creek area.
The closest and easiest place to start is Uwharrie NF, Woodrun parking lot.  It's only about an hour away and is less overwhelming then Pisgah. A good stepping stone.  Also Rocky Knob bike park in Boone is less then 2 hours away and is a great place to ride.  Elevation, rocks, features, but purpose built mtbing park with signs making it easy to know what your in for. Easy to pick a route that will work for your level of choice.  Also Bent Creek in Asheville. Just North of Brevard and a good taste of the experience but less overwhelming then Pisgah Propper.

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #210 - 05/27/19 at 8:05am
Print Post  
A lot of folks consider Kerr Scott in Wilksboro the mountains because it lies in the Brushy Mountains. Great trail system. The Overmountain Victory Trail is really fun. As are Warrior Creek and Dark Mountain.

GTalk  
IP Logged

wtacoma

Reply #211 - 05/27/19 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the info! I feel better about going it alone if I had to. I think Dupont is on the top of my list to check out. Let me know if any of you would want to put together a ride sometime. This is definitely a day trip for me or any one in the Charlotte area.

IP Logged

Greg E

Reply #212 - 05/27/19 at 10:57am
Print Post  
I was just at Lake James State Park in Nebo  last weekend, and not technically in the Mountains, but feels like foothills. Really fun flowy trail with a lot of bermed turns. It’s about two hours from here I believe.

IP Logged

MTB4U
Coaster Bike

Reply #213 - 05/27/19 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
wtacoma wrote on 05/27/19 at 8:59am:
Thanks for all the info! I feel better about going it alone if I had to. I think Dupont is on the top of my list to check out. Let me know if any of you would want to put together a ride sometime. This is definitely a day trip for me or any one in the Charlotte area.

I've mostly ridden alone for all my 20 year MTB career.  When I ride remote areas, I always carry my Spot personal locator.  If I'm ever stranded or hurt, I can get help via satellite uplink.  If I get knocked unconscious, I'm in deep doo doo though.

IP Logged

Supermoto65

Reply #214 - 05/28/19 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
I rode Fire Mountain last month. Prepare for a lot ... I mean a lot of climbing but the Kessel Run downhill is worth the climb. 

That's my only mountain experience ... so far.

IP Logged

Big Chuck
Coaster Bike

Reply #215 - 06/05/19 at 1:42am
Print Post  
Supermoto65 wrote on 05/28/19 at 6:46pm:
I rode Fire Mountain last month. Prepare for a lot ... I mean a lot of climbing but the Kessel Run downhill is worth the climb. 

That's my only mountain experience ... so far.

I would really lite to ride it, maybe late summer or early fall

Big Chuck
IP Logged

wtacoma

Reply #216 - 06/06/19 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Sounds good to me. Post up when your ready. I would need to know at least a week or so in advance to make plans, as I am still a working stiff.

IP Logged

MTB4U
Coaster Bike

Reply #217 - 06/06/19 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Big Chuck wrote on 06/05/19 at 1:42am:

I would really lite to ride it, maybe late summer or early fall

Loop me in to that, I'd like to try it too.   

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #218 - 06/07/19 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
That’s been on my list for a couple of years too. Please add me to the list and assuming work doesn’t have other plans I’d love to go!

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #219 - 06/10/19 at 10:18am
Print Post  
MTB4U wrote on 06/06/19 at 7:45pm:

Loop me in to that, I'd like to try it too.  

Hey mike a small video of third Italian ride (this was all road as one of us had a road bike) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 
Print