Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ture pressure (Read 1283 times)
DG
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Ture pressure
11/12/18 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Hello experienced guys, wanted to pick you brain in regards to winter and tyre pressure. I use tubular, i bet it should be different (lower) due to the conditions of the trail, more slippery. So what are you thoughts and experience regarding this?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Re: Ture pressure
Reply #1 - 11/12/18 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
It depends upon durability of the tire and rider weight, but I try to keep it simple.

30 psi or there abouts seems to be happy medium for me (175 lbs.). You'll lose a few psi just taking the chuck off the valve and normal pressure loss. I can usually ride a couple o' days in a row before I need to air up again.

I've run 25 before, but the lower pressures especially on xc tires without any reinforcement increases the risks of sidewall cuts on the rocky stuff. Especially quartz, which is particularly nasty.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Re: Tire pressure
Reply #2 - 11/12/18 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't necessarily say it is winter specific, but when the trails are more muddy/slick I generally drop around 1 psi in my tires. If it's real greasy, I add a little more low speed rebound damping to try and improve traction over rooty sections. I also go with a more knobby tire for the winter to bite through the leaf cover. I prefer a semi-slick in the rear for the summer.

I always over-inflate my tires a little at the house before loading the bike on the rack. Then I use a trusted pressure gauge to deflate to my desired pressure just before starting my ride. Tire pressure is too critical to not check before every ride IMO.

Now for the actual numbers...
I weigh 165-170 with Camelbak, ready to ride.
I run 27.5 x 2.3 tires (tubeless) front and rear with Maxxis EXO casings.
My rims have an internal width of 26 mm.

FWIW, I generally run 20-21.5 psi in front, and 22-23.5 in the rear (according to my gauge). I have several gauges and the readings can vary by as much as 3-4 psi depending on what gauge I use. Which is why I always use the same gauge to set my tires before a ride.
« Last Edit: 11/12/18 at 3:15pm by BudLeach »  

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/12/18 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
No long answer here: 

Rear - 26ish

Front - 23-24ish

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/12/18 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
For me I usually run mid to high 20s front and back but would bump it up to 30psi for fast rocky trails.  Out west I found closer to 30 was ideal but for local stuff I like to run it a little softer.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #5 - 11/12/18 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
DG wrote on 11/12/18 at 2:07pm:
Hello experienced guys, wanted to pick you brain in regards to winter and tyre pressure. I use tubular, i bet it should be different (lower) due to the conditions of the trail, more slippery. So what are you thoughts and experience regarding this?

I think you mean you use Tubes.

Tubular tires are a whole different thing. If you are gluing tubulars onto your MTB than hell yeah!

I run a bit lower on cold winter rides since it seems that the rubber isnt as soft. But i only fluctuate maybe a few PSI or less between summer/winter.

Its really what feels good. I change PSI way more to manage trail conditions than I do for temperature. Mellow Dupont rides I go pretty low. Charging Pisgah days I run higher.

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/12/18 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 11/12/18 at 5:15pm:

Tubular tires are a whole different thing. If you are gluing tubulars onto your MTB than hell yeah!

I run a bit lower on cold winter rides since it seems that the rubber isnt as soft. But i only fluctuate maybe a few PSI or less between summer/winter.

Its really what feels good. I change PSI way more to manage trail conditions than I do for temperature. Mellow Dupont rides I go pretty low. Charging Pisgah days I run higher.

Yeah Yeah, rub it in that your typical rides are Dupont and Pisgah.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #7 - 11/12/18 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
49erRider wrote on 11/12/18 at 5:55pm:

Yeah Yeah, rub it in that your typical rides are Dupont and Pisgah.

Man I know it sounds crazy but I wold KILL to have a Sherman's Branch, WWC, or Renny close by. Hauling ass through flat, twisty, tight, woodsy singletrack is just as much fun as Black Mtn, Bennet, Burnt Mtn. etc.

When I come home my first stop is Beatty for a hot lap... Cool

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #8 - 11/12/18 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 11/12/18 at 5:15pm:

Yes tubes sorry, not road tubular

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #9 - 11/12/18 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Here is another question. In the Charlotte area do you change the Tyre with a winter compound and tread (i think that one of you already replied yes) or no? 

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 11/12/18 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
DG wrote on 11/12/18 at 7:22pm:
Here is another question. In the Charlotte area do you change the Tyre with a winter compound and tread (i think that one of you already replied yes) or no? 

Winter compound.. What's that..  
Is that some sort of magic sticky rubber for 6" of mud? Smiley

I don't. But it aint a bad idea, if you don't like being obsessed with the weather. Or if you're going out on location.

I tend to ride the same tires year round locally (slick, fast xc tires), because changing tubeless tires is a hassle. And I'm a high speed, low drag kind of guy.. 
They don't like greasy conditions and low pressures one bit. So I try to keep 'em in the dry as much as possible.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print