Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic shoe laces (Read 731 times)
forkit
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

shoe laces
11/20/18 at 1:16am
Print Post  
When did shoe laces become so crappy?  I haven't had a pair last longer than 6 months lately in my mtb shoes.  The only kind available in the stores are 2-ply and you can't really tighten them or they just snap.  I've got a pair of hiking boots from the 90s with the original laces, they could probably lift my car. 
« Last Edit: 11/20/18 at 1:17am by forkit »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Re: shoe laces
Reply #1 - 11/20/18 at 2:19am
Print Post  
Para Cord, or the reinforced cordage used in backpacking. Cut it and singe the ends with flame. LAsts forever.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 11/20/18 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 11/20/18 at 2:19am:
Para Cord, or the reinforced cordage used in backpacking. Cut it and singe the ends with flame. LAsts forever.

What he said - I trash the laces 5.10s ship with immediately and replace with paracord.  This isn't the company I've used in the past but it looks similar and is local to Brevard - Win!!!   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 11/20/18 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
forkit wrote on 11/20/18 at 1:16am:
When did shoe laces become so crappy?  I haven't had a pair last longer than 6 months lately in my mtb shoes.  The only kind available in the stores are 2-ply and you can't really tighten them or they just snap.  I've got a pair of hiking boots from the 90s with the original laces, they could probably lift my car. 

The problem is paracord is, it's slippery. So unless you double knot them, often it will come untied just walking around.

Amazon has a ton of heavy duty shoe and boot laces. Here's an example. That offer increased friction and will stay tied. 

IP Logged

forkit
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 11/20/18 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
I'll try the paracord route.  I always have some around.  Usually it's reflective orange or yellow but I'll buy a roll of black somewhere so I can cut whatever length I need.    I double knot my laces anyway or do the secure Ian knot.

Those 2-ply laces should come with a warning:  "for fashion use only"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print