Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Tire inserts (Read 454 times)
DG
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Tire inserts
01/03/19 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Wow 2 questions in a day... Well I was reading on singletrack an article where they were talking about tire inserts. I was completely unaware about this "upgrade". They were stating that even if they are weight they are a great addition to your bike. Since I never trust 100% these articles specially when they talk about one brand only,  beIN in marketing I know you pay for most of this kind of publicity, I am asking to the crowd about their opinion. Anny feedback is welcome.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: Tire inserts
Reply #1 - 01/03/19 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
I've been using the Huck Norris inserts for a few months and have been very impressed. I went through a run of tires last summer where I would ding the rim on a square edge resulting in a "snakebite" on my tire bead and immediate air loss. 5 tires in 4 months all with large holes in the bead preventing proper sealing. I could use a tube in those no problem but its 2019 and that is ridiculous...

I was already running 30psi or more and even went to Double Down casing but still damaged the bead and dinged my rim to boot. To be fair I hate my back wheel and ride like it owes me money but still... a $60 tire should hold up to more trashing than I was dishing out.

I installed the Huck Norris and have noticed a major difference. I can now run lower PSI (24ish now), I have slammed my wheel with extreme prejudice into many rocks and it just shrugs it off. Even the noise it makes is a dull "thud" instead of a loud metallic "Ping!". 

I only use them on my back wheel since that takes the abuse.

Pros:
-Run lower pressure
-No more rim dings
-no bead damage
-easy and cheap to install

Cons:
-Heavy-ish: They added about 120g to my wheel with sealant, etc.
-Cumbersome: If you do blow out and need to use a tube you're stuck carrying around a big piece of foam the rest of the ride.
-Dont really prevent sidewall damage but that rarely happens

There are plenty of options but I prefer the cheaper foam inserts vs. the Pro-Core, Cush Core, etc. Vita MTB did a great write up/comparison a year or so ago...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 01/03/19 at 2:16pm by Banjopickin »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print