Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) eBikes (Read 6919 times)
EPK
Small Cog

eBikes
01/12/19 at 2:04am
Print Post  
I know that not everyone will agree but I’m bummed to see eBikes on the LKN State Park trails. 

I love mountain biking and I also ride moto.  I’m not king so I don’t get to make the rules.  But, if it were up to me, eBikes would be welcome on all motorcycle trails but not mountain bike trails. 

It’s just an opinion and I’m not picking a fight.  I’m not against eBikes I just don’t like them on MTB trails.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Re: eBikes
Reply #1 - 01/12/19 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Ok, let's add walkers/joggers, because they wear those earbuds and move so slow always in the way. Horses that leave massive ruts in the trail and crap all over the place. Never seen a rider climb off the back of a horse with a bag to clean that up. And how about those people that think leash laws don't apply to their dog because their dog is better then yours...

I feel better now. Guess we will just have to hope the state hires "rangers" or something to safeguard us from our selves in the state park.

Was out today doing some trailwork and had a dozen riders come by me on a closed trail system. 
Everyone has things they hate. You either get over it or you do something about it. Try writing a letter to the state board or picketing the front gate demanding change!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #2 - 01/12/19 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Did LNSP have a policy change? They use to not allow Mopeds on the trail

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

nottheranger
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 01/12/19 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 01/12/19 at 12:57pm:
Did LNSP have a policy change? They use to not allow Mopeds on the trail

Policy came out in 2018 which stated that E-Bikes are not considered motor vehicles in the eyes of our statutes (which bar motor vehicles from being in non designated areas and trails). The policy rambled on about their lack of speed and HP-- blah blah blah. Mopeds will still not be allowed though (and we have found a guy on the trails on a moped-- he did not make it too far.)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #4 - 01/12/19 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Electric Motor+ Pedal = Moped. Not much difference.

I'm very surprised and disappointed they changed policy.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Kurt Speed
Coaster Bike

Speed makes all trails
technical.

Reply #5 - 01/12/19 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
To my knowledge, the policy hasn’t changed and the spirit behind the rule is to maintain the health and integrity of the trail.  One day a charity showed up at LNSP which provided disabled/impaired Veterans an opportunity to mountain bike using MTB ebikes.  Who was going to protest that?

As a trail gnome, I am concerned about anything that damages the trail or moves the original designed flow/track.  Many things damage the trail:
1.  Extended drought (loosening the hard pack) followed by intense downpours removing sometimes an inch or more trail surface - not preventable.
2.  Riding on the trails just after a rain (hence the rule no rides until 24 hrs after a rain) - preventable.
3.  Leaves and debris floating into and clogging the drains causing the rain to stay on the tread, sometimes rushing the full downhill length washing out gullys in the trail - preventable (with more volunteers)
4.  Newbies who lock their brakes leaving long skid marks, breaking up the soil which gets washed away with the next rain - preventable   
5.  You get the point.

Motorized bikes (gasoline engines) are forbidden on all our MTB trails.  They produce such torque to the rear tires that it breaks up and loosens the soil on the trail tread.  I’m not sure that ebikes operate in this same fashion - some say they are only electric “motor assist” and still require the biker to exert energy to the pedals.   

In reality, who is going to sit by the trails and police for ebikes?  We can’t even keep chuckleheads from riding after the rain.  (By the way, as a Noobie I and 3 others rode Beatty in deep mud - probably why I am a gnome today - ahh atonement, everybody deserves a second chance)

I saw an ‘old’ guy riding an ebike (‘old’ is older than me - 64) the other day and I wasn’t about to say anything to him.  Heck, I was happy to see him out in the beauty of nature enjoying the short life he had left.  His riding style was certainly not damaging the trail.

I guess that’s the bottom line for me...don’t damage the trails.

The one from whom I needed to be saved... is the very one who saved me.  That's Amazing Grace!

IP Logged

lee flythe
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 01/12/19 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
On a personal level I think ebikes are lame and I would prefer if they were not part of our current cycling culture.

On a trail management level, however, I do not believe they have any negative impact.  The argument that they impact trails more significantly or are "motorcycles" is simply false.  It's still a bike, and your speed is largely determined by your ability to handle the terrain, not the pedal-assist.  Folks don't really ride any more aggressively on ebikes, they just don't have to work as hard to ride normally.

They are lame, but they're not hurting anything.   

work to eat.  eat to live.  live to ride.  ride to work.
IP Logged

FMWilly
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 01/12/19 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Why do people keep bringing up ebikes and why they dont like them? If you dont like ebikes dont ever buy one. If they pass you- so what! Anyway how often do you even see one on the trails? 
Points to remember- They are very expensive so the market will always be small.
They are really heavy- over 45 lbs.
They cater to older bike riders- 50+.  Not a huge market vs the mountain bike market of people under 50. 

If you need to say something to someone riding one ask them to join the TT and help build and maintain trails in our area.

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #8 - 01/12/19 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Let’s apply some logic to the question. The cost of an ebike, and limited performance improvements (anybody see an ebike throwing roost?) are such that the product demographics naturally gravitate towards a more mature rider.  While there are exceptions to every rule I would argue that catagory of rider tends to be less aggressive in their riding style and for the most part less damaging to the trails. 

Having just knocked off the Half Enchalada, I agree with the sentiment that they are not for me today, but prior injuries are reminding me that my number of riding days are finite and will eventually change my riding style and force me to stop doing the thing I love. After 30 years of riding MTB’s I’d like to extend that period as much as I can; and if that means I have to ride an e-bike in the future then I'm going to do it. 

Lee, as a 30 year old I would have been totally on side with your opinions; but as a 53 year old I am all too aware that reality has a way of altering your opinions. Bottom line I think if we treat each other with respect and put half the amount of time and energy spent bitching about bikes into trail maintence the world would be a better place.  There, rant concluded. I’m off to find a few Advil and a beer. Cheers!

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 01/12/19 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
FMWilly wrote on 01/12/19 at 7:09pm:

They are really heavy- over 45 lbs.
They cater to older bike riders- 50+.  Not a huge market vs the mountain bike market of people under 50. 

These are good points..

Ebikes are really heavy.

And can being ridden faster than a normal bike on similar terrain and often by people that often lack skill/fitness/experience.

You don't want to run into one on a bi-directional trail.

Not to mention they are easily modified.

What's next? Seat belts and air bags?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SundayRidesOver

It's All Downhill From
Here!

Reply #10 - 01/12/19 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
NC Kingsting wrote on 01/12/19 at 10:17pm:
Let’s apply some logic to the question. The cost of an ebike, and limited performance improvements (anybody see an ebike throwing roost?) are such that the product demographics naturally gravitate towards a more mature rider.  While there are exceptions to every rule I would argue that catagory of rider tends to be less aggressive in their riding style and for the most part less damaging to the trails. 

Having just knocked off the Half Enchalada, I agree with the sentiment that they are not for me today, but prior injuries are reminding me that my number of riding days are finite and will eventually change my riding style and force me to stop doing the thing I love. After 30 years of riding MTB’s I’d like to extend that period as much as I can; and if that means I have to ride an e-bike in the future then I'm going to do it. 

Lee, as a 30 year old I would have been totally on side with your opinions; but as a 53 year old I am all too aware that reality has a way of altering your opinions. Bottom line I think if we treat each other with respect and put half the amount of time and energy spent bitching about bikes into trail maintence the world would be a better place.  There, rant concluded. I’m off to find a few Advil and a beer. Cheers!

Preach!  Amen brother.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 01/13/19 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Quote:
Let’s apply some logic to the question. ...but as a 53 year old I am all too aware that reality has a way of altering your opinions. ...

It's a crutch.

I'm almost 58 years old.

Don't need one and don't want one.

What's next? Power chairs and senior citizen groups from Sun City on your local area trail?

Some people are better off walking. Getting proper medical treatment, or perhaps starting a fitness program. Instead of expecting everyone else to accommodate their desire to ride heavier, harder to control and faster motorized bicycles (mopeds) on local area trails.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #12 - 01/13/19 at 12:32am
Print Post  
I've seen douche bag racer / strava boys, one of whom is a long term member of the club, ride  people off the trail.  How is that acceptable yet someone on an e bike isn't?

And people wonder why cyclists are thought of as arrogant pricks.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #13 - 01/13/19 at 12:55am
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 01/13/19 at 12:43am:

It's not acceptable..

Neither are lycra shorts, leaves, 26 inch wheels, single speeds, etc.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #14 - 01/13/19 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 01/13/19 at 12:32am:
I've seen douche bag racer / strava boys, one of whom is a long term member of the club, ride  people off the trail.  How is that acceptable yet someone on an e bike isn't?

It's not acceptable..

But I think we can both admit that an ebike allows a rider with less skill and experience to ride faster than would normally be the case.

The bike is also much heavier and harder to control, making collisions more likely. Not to mention the bone heads who are likely to modify them.

Listen, I'm all for anybody riding whatever they want where it is allowed.
Where I differ is, I just don't think these contraptions belong on every trail. And that seems to be the industry and many ebike advocates goal.

I ride a mountain bike for the same reason I lift my barbel. Fitness. I don't want a motorized barbel either. Just so I can keep up with some steroid head that's half my age down at the gym.

I think some people just have an over active ego.. An ebike allows one to have a mountain biking ego in excess of their actual physical ability. On a personal level, it's not hard for me to see that can be a problem for other trail users. And has the potential to make trail access for all of us more difficult.

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #15 - 01/13/19 at 1:06am
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 01/13/19 at 12:58am:

Listen, I'm all for anybody riding whatever they want where it is allowed.

It's allowed.  Try not to let it ruin your life, it's not worth it

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #16 - 01/13/19 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Oh I got a great life, bud. And I don't need a motorized trail bike to enjoy it..

"All motorized vehicles are prohibited on trail system."

Not allowed at Springs or Cane Creek to my knowledge.

I'm cool with it. 
Some people got to learn things the hard way..

But I've got a piece of advice to those that ride them. Maybe a good idea to ease off your throttle a little if you see me coming.

"You know I grew up on a farm and we used to have cattle.. Cattle will always stay away from you.., they're very passive.. But you know you get one in a corner then you've got a problem. Invariably, defenses would put me in a corner, then they had a problem."

-John Riggins

IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

aka "Lil Bill" or "Squatch"

Reply #17 - 01/13/19 at 5:44am
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 01/13/19 at 12:55am:

Neither are lycra shorts, leaves, 26 inch wheels, single speeds, etc.   Roll Eyes

Riding a 26 inch wheeled steed on leaf covered trails is paradise.  I agree with you on the lycra shorts, 29ers, leaf blowers and single speeds 

Yo Bush, how do you feel about 29er ebikes?

Everyone needs at least one boat! 

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
IP Logged

Zakaraia Hermes
Coaster Bike

Reply #18 - 01/13/19 at 11:29am
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 01/13/19 at 1:39am:
Oh I got a great life, bud. And I don't need a motorized trail bike to enjoy it..

"All motorized vehicles are prohibited on trail system."

Not allowed at Springs or Cane Creek to my knowledge.

I'm cool with it. 
Some people got to learn things the hard way..

But I've got a piece of advice to those that ride them. Maybe a good idea to ease off your throttle a little if you see me coming.

"You know I grew up on a farm and we used to have cattle.. Cattle will always stay away from you.., they're very passive.. But you know you get one in a corner then you've got a problem. Invariably, defenses would put me in a corner, then they had a problem."

-John Riggins

They don’t have a throttle first off but Are you threatening people?

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #19 - 01/13/19 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Zakaraia Hermes wrote on 01/13/19 at 11:29am:

They don’t have a throttle first off but Are you threatening people?

You sure about that? Somebody checking 'em at the trail head?

Plenty of motorized bicycles have a throttle. And many can be modified to accept one.

Bypassing the governor on an ebike is an even easier hack.

Anybody that can't control their 45 lb. bicycle is threatening me, and other trail users. 
You can't figure that out on your own?

Robert C. wrote on 01/13/19 at 12:32am:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print