Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Anyone dealt with a herniated disc in their back (Read 1794 times)
kirecoma
Coaster Bike

I Love YaBB 2!

Anyone dealt with a herniated disc in their back
01/13/19 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
3 years ago I suffered a herniated disc in my lower back at L5-S1. The first month was very painful. Numbness on the outer edge of my left foot and lots of burning nerve pain all over in my left foot. I don’t know how the injury occurred, I woke up in the morning in extreme pain. 

After 6 weeks I had a MRI and went to see a Physiatrist at a spine center. He said with the majority of these injuries they heal on there own and recommended physical therapy. Went to 6 weeks of PT, which was largely focused on core strengthening. The numbness on the outer edge of my foot always remained. I was off my bike for about 4 months from the date of the injury. 

9 months from the injury I still had the numbness on the edge of my left foot constantly, with nerve pain/inflammation in my left foot at least once a week. I went for another 6 week stint of PT at a different facility along with receiving traction for my back. I felt like the PT did very little to help and didn’t feel like the traction helped at all. 

1.5 years from the initial injury I had 2 injections in my lower back that provided no relief from the nerve irritation inflammation/pain. 

Had another MRI and consulted a surgeon just shy of 2 years from the injury. He basically said he thought the herniated disc had healed as much as it was going to at that point and if I was still being bothered by it almost 2 years into it, I was probably going to continue to be bothered by it. He said they could do a microdiscectomy. But it came down to if I was being bothered enough by it to want to have surgery done. 

I then went on neurontin for about 4 months which did a good job of relieving the nerve pain/inflammation. I quit taking it because I didn’t want to be on it long term even though they say it’s non-narcotic/addictive and safe for daily use for long periods of time.

For the last 3 months I went to a chiropractor 2-3 times a week and saw minimal improvement. 

I felt like over the last year my lower back has become extremely tight and at times very sore. I attribute it to the nerve in my left leg being pinched from the herniated disc, in turn causing my hamstring to be very tight and creating the lower back pain. I don’t know if all that is the actual cause but that’s my theory. 

I think I’m at the point of really considering surgery. The surgeon I’ve consulted twice over a year ago was at Carolina neurosurgery and spine. 

From a physical standpoint it hasn’t affected my balance or walking or physical abilities. I’m pretty sure at this point the nerve is permanently damaged and the numbness will remain in my left foot. I can live with the numbness.  It’s the nerve pain/irritation and the lower back pain/tightness that worries me. I’m a 37 year old male who is in good physical shape. So I don’t feel like it’s a lifestyle change that will remedy the situation but I could be wrong.   

Anyone have any stories to tell about disc injuries in their back and what they did or what helped. How’s it affected your bike riding.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Mike 5
Small Cog

Re: Anyone dealt with a herniated disc in their back
Reply #1 - 01/13/19 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I had a bad crash in 2017 that resulted in a broken collarbone and a herniated L3 disc. I had numbness in my thigh for about a year which finally went away, but i’ve had really bad intermittent sciatica that has literally caused me to fall. I’ve done the whole chiropractic and PT thing with no relief. I am at the point that I want to try acupuncture, just don’t know where to go. I live in the Lake Norman area, so I’d appreciate any recommendations. As far as surgery goes, I would save that as a last resort.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"Bad decisions make for great stories."

IP Logged

Joe F
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 01/14/19 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I feel your pain...literally.

A few years back I was loading heavy boxes up into my truck and like an idiot did what you should not do, bend at the waist, lift and twist up over the side of the bed.  I woke up in excruciating pain. I'd had a Chiropractor for years due to a mid back issue after a motorcycle crash injury years ago and he diagnosed me as having "bulging discs" and put me on an expensive daily treatment plan (my insurance doesn't cover Chiropractors) After a couple of weeks under his "plan", I ended up in the ER.  An MRI showed I'd actually herniated L4/L5 and L5/S1.  Same deal.  Excruciating pain down my left buttock and the outside edge of my leg from my knee down through my left foot is numb and remains numb to this day. 

They put me on high dose steroids for a week for the inflammation and I also went to Carolina Neurosurgery and Spine and worked with a Physiatrist there (Dr. Vemuri).  Same deal.  Spinal shot, avoid surgery if at all possible and continue with PT and core strengthening exercises. 

While I will likely never be a runner or tennis player again due to the residual numbness, I have to say that my back never feels looser and more normal than when I come out of the trails.  I do not do the jumps anymore due to the compression they place on the spine when you land, but other than that, riding has not caused me any issues.   Usually when I do have back issues now, it happens doing something as simple as pulling on boots!  I worked on Saturday hoeing out a bunch of clogged drains at Sherman and paid the price on Sunday with lower back soreness, although an Alleve seemed to make everything feel pretty ok. It's a bit better today. 

I have resigned myself to the numbness being permanent, and even on my best days, I can still tell that my lower back is something less than 100% and always will be. It's tight, it's always a bit sore, but tolerable.  I try to stay up with the exercises like the one where you do kind of a pushup, but keep your waistline pressed to the floor, but the better I feel the more I slack off in doing them. Because of my Chiropractor's misdiagnosis, I will never see one again. 

I also ride with a lumbar support belt which really helps keep everything from slopping around in my lower back and would never ride without one now.  I have the Sport Belt ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ) but they don't sell them anymore.  Lots of other options on Amazon.  It also gave me an excuse to upgrade from an entry level hardtail to a higher end full suspension MTB.  I keep the rear set on squishy to allow maximum travel and minimal spine compression. 

I get tempted at those constant TV commercials from the Laser Spine Institute which tout that they can solve all my problems.  If you spend some time reading patient reviews however, the results are all over the board from "significant relief" to "much worse".   So... I try to keep my core strong and I never pick anything up by bending at the waist.  Seems to be the best I am going to get and a lifelong annoyance.

Good luck to you.
« Last Edit: 01/14/19 at 8:12pm by Joe F »  

IP Logged

collin_i
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 01/14/19 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
I'm almost 3 months to the day out of a microdiscectomy @ L4-L5. 

I bulged the disc 7 years ago at Ray's in Cleveland. I was able to work it out thankfully. I re-aggravated it a few times over the years, and 2 notable times last year. Finally, I hit a berm hard at snowshoe last September, and had a bad sciatica shot down my right let. It passed pretty quick, and I ended up riding the rest of the day.

3 days later, I went to to an ortho due to pain in my lower leg. They wanted to wait, I didn't. I asked for an MRI, and they obliged. About that time, my right foot stopped working. I couldn't lift my toes / foot up, and a simple calf raise was very difficult. After a couple weeks, I also noticed I couldn't "feel" my bladder. I could hold it, but I'd never get the message that it was time to go. 

After a couple weeks, my wife (nurse) and folks convinced me to go see a neurosurgeon. I saw them with my MRI in hand on a Thursday (10-4). 

The MRI wasn't very conclusive. But, the symptoms and the collective input of a few providers concluded that I likely had a fragment wedged between the nerve root and a ligament. An injection the next day confirmed (immediate relief, albeit temporarily). I was in surgery the next Tuesday (Oct-9). 90 minute procedure later, I woke up much improved. I woke up without any sciatica pain (that had been a solid 7 by that point). 2 days later, I could move my toes. After a few weeks, my strength was back along with the sensation to pee (weird, and hard to articulate). 

What I'd been told was - once you have weakness or loss of function, that doesn't come back. The longer things don't work, the more likely it'll be permanent - even after a repair. That was more than enough motivation for me to go under the knife. I didn't want to walk like Keyser Soze for the rest of my life. 

I've JUST started riding again, and it's nice to get out. Now if only I hadn't put on 20lbs...

I saw Dr Anthony Asher at Carolina Neurosurgery and Spine in Charlotte. He did a hell of a job.
« Last Edit: 01/14/19 at 8:48pm by collin_i »  

IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 01/18/19 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
I read the OP but not the responses. 

I am a PA with Carolina Neurosurgery and Spine. There is a good study that shows that 85% of people with pain from a disc herniation with be pain free in 2 years. My job is typically to try to weed out the people that fall into that 15% who won't get better with conservative management (Time/PT/Inj/etc) or can't tolerate the pain.

If I were in your shoes, I would move forward with the surgery. I haven't seen your images or examined you but if its a simple Microdiscectomy, you'll most likely be very pleased with surgery. 

Happy to see you in clinic to go over all this if you want. I'm in Concord but happy to recommend a surgeon/PA in Charlotte if that's more convenient.

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

-John Muir

J.T.

Reply #5 - 01/21/19 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
I've had some history of mild sciatica for 15+ years. Usually some PT or Chiropractic care would take care of it. A little over 2 years ago my back went out while walkig my dog. After came some major sciatica down my right leg and then numbness and nerve pain in my right foot. I tried PT and chiropractic care for a couple months but it only made things worse. After a MRI confirming a ruptured L5 S1, I was ready to get surgery when the doctor suggested I try a Cortizone epidural. A week after the injection and I was completely pain free. Amazingly I was pain free for over a year until out riding I tweaked my back again. I immediately chose to do another injection and I'm still mostly pain free since August. 

If the pain comes back I have a hard choice as well I guess. Keep doing the injections or schedule a Microdisectomy? I think I've been very lucky that the Cortizone injections have for the most part kept me pain free. I still have the occasional sore back, but no sciatica. I do have some numbness and tightness in my right leg though. I guess I've been reluctant on getting surgery. Not sure what I will do if it comes back again.

IP Logged

Joe F
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 01/21/19 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Sandman wrote on 01/18/19 at 7:07pm:
I read the OP but not the responses. 

I am a PA with Carolina Neurosurgery and Spine. There is a good study that shows that 85% of people with pain from a disc herniation with be pain free in 2 years. My job is typically to try to weed out the people that fall into that 15% who won't get better with conservative management (Time/PT/Inj/etc) or can't tolerate the pain.

If I were in your shoes, I would move forward with the surgery. I haven't seen your images or examined you but if its a simple Microdiscectomy, you'll most likely be very pleased with surgery. 

Happy to see you in clinic to go over all this if you want. I'm in Concord but happy to recommend a surgeon/PA in Charlotte if that's more convenient.

I might have to come see you next time.  Whenever I have a flare up, even though it's never caused out on the trail, my guy at the Matthews office keeps telling me that I should give up mountain biking.  Ain't happenin!  Grin
« Last Edit: 01/21/19 at 9:21pm by Joe F »  

IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 01/30/19 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Joe F wrote on 01/21/19 at 9:19pm:

I might have to come see you next time.  Whenever I have a flare up, even though it's never caused out on the trail, my guy at the Matthews office keeps telling me that I should give up mountain biking.  Ain't happenin!  Grin

Come on. I’ll never tell you quit mountain biking. May need to stop work and only ride bikes...😂

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

-John Muir

madss
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 02/27/19 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
1 year and a month since my microdiscomy. Numbness, toes burning and tingling as I sit her typing this. Not nearly as bad as before surgery.  I would suggest ya to have it done even tho I’m not 100%. I can live with 85% better. 
Our problem comes from weak gluts, tight hamstring and hip flexors and overpowering quads. These cause us to bend through our backs instead of through our hips. Which leads to deterating disc usually in the l5 s4 disc area. 
An easy test is to stand with your feet should width apart, chest up shoulders back and try to touch your toes without arching through your back. You’ll find your hamstrings start screaming before you get to 90 degrees. 
Strengthening glutts and losening everything else is the key, only wish I could get it to happen. 
Maybe we need to start an - almost old men with bad backs workout group for motivation

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print