Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Kudos to Anne Springs (Read 2575 times)
sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Kudos to Anne Springs
02/11/19 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
I rode yesterday a week after being told of some areas needing attention. Over the week they had done some serious grading and patching of areas with some crush and/or bridges and the trail was virtually flawless.  Great job!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Kudos to Anne Springs
Reply #1 - 02/12/19 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing that.  I need to get back down there to see whatz up as I keep hearing good things.
Back in the day it was a cool patch of woods and it seems that they are working with all trail user groups again.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

DavidM
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #2 - 02/12/19 at 9:43am
Print Post  
+1
I ride ASG regularly & can also attest to the high level of attention they have been giving to the trail in the last couple-few years.  It is super fast and a total blast to ride.  Sad to say I ventured over to Sugar Island last week for a peek and was not able to access it so I bid it farewell.   Adieu, Sugar Island!

Ephesians 5:11 Have no fellowship with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

IP Logged

Harry Balsagna
Small Cog

Keep on rocking in the
free world.

Reply #3 - 02/13/19 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
DavidM wrote on 02/12/19 at 9:43am:
... Sad to say I ventured over to Sugar Island last week for a peek and was not able to access it so I bid it farewell.   Adieu, Sugar Island!

How 'inaccessible' was it?

I'm in no condition to ride...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!

IP Logged

DavidM
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #4 - 02/13/19 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
As u make yr way behind the elementary school the bridge before the gravel utility access road at the bottom is damaged in that the down side ramp boards have been removed and replaced with logs positioned perpendicular to the remaining boards creating a barrier indicating, "none shall pass!"
I figured it would get worse if I attempted to press on so I turned around unwilling to face any further disappointments.

Ephesians 5:11 Have no fellowship with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

IP Logged

kawsakimx6
Big Ring

Just cause i can't do
it, don't mean i won't
try.

Reply #5 - 02/14/19 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Harry Balsagna wrote on 02/13/19 at 8:13pm:

How 'inaccessible' was it? 

You didn't hear this from me, but it's a 3 on a scale from 1-10 'inaccessible'.  If your willing to hike / freestyle for about 1/4 mile the rest is intact.    There may or may not be some people that keep it up and rideable.  The idea i think is to keep it more of a "natural trail" and not groomed and fast like everything else out there.

IP Logged

DavidM
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #6 - 05/13/19 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
ASG is open & surprisingly dry considering the amount of rain we've been getting lately.  Only 2 puddles worth mentioning & they're minor. Go ride!

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 06/01/19 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Reminder to the 3% or the the new guys..
Paradise and Prairie are directional and changed direction recently (spring and fall).

At the moment Paradise is counterclockwise, and Prairie is clockwise.

Tunnel and Mill Pond trails are bi-directional.

Read the signs.  Cool

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Reply #8 - 06/02/19 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 06/01/19 at 11:30pm:
Reminder to the 3% or the the new guys..
Paradise and Prairie are directional and changed direction recently (spring and fall).

At the moment Paradise is counterclockwise, and Prairie is clockwise.

Tunnel and Mill Pond trails are bi-directional.

Read the signs.  Cool

You sure about that? Was just there this morning and at the intersection near the end of tunnel trail the signs for Paradise definitely point bikes to the left which would be clockwise... everyone was going that direction.

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #9 - 06/02/19 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
I thought the same thing. Rode Paradise CW Friday but I could've been the 3percent you mention, although nobody else was coming at me the wrong way.  Maybe Bush had too many martinis at that moment?
« Last Edit: 06/02/19 at 5:56pm by SurlyDave »  

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 06/03/19 at 2:47am
Print Post  
I posted it backwards.

My bust.  Smiley

Paradise clockwise. Prairie counter.

Nope Surly. I regularly run into guys riding the wrong way on both Prairie and Paradise. They don't seem to have any idea the two trails are directional.

The other day I almost had to head off into the woods to avoid a couple o' guys bombing downhill on Paradise going counter clockwise in the rooty/rocky section right before the old bridge. They either didn't seem to care they were going the wrong direction or completely oblivious to this fact when I pointed it out. In fact, they got a little hostile while maintaining I was going the wrong direction. 

Nope, sorry. Read the ridiculously hard to see sign.

With the signage out there, I admit it can get confusing. Especially for those that aren't regular and don't know the drill.

« Last Edit: 06/03/19 at 10:19am by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

Bikin Dad
Coaster Bike

A Dad, A Dreamer & Rider
of 2 wheelin' fun!

Reply #11 - 06/03/19 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Just wait till Adventure Camp starts next week! We'll have packs of 6-30 every day upper elementary & middle school youth every day "bombing" down the trails in the right direction.....for 10 weeks!

Feel free to encourage them if you hear or see us rollin'. Many are new, some are not but we're bringing the awesomeness this year on new bikes. If you know, S.C. just received their N.I.C.A. sanction & will be racing throughout the state soon, so hopefully the younger crew I'm working with all summer will be moving forward in their mountain biking life as they age out of camp.

A working Dad for 3, plus new bike stuff, founder of Bikin' Dads Adventures & ready to ride!
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #12 - 06/03/19 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Every day?

Cool. That should slow the wrong way poachers down a little.   

What time?  Cool

IP Logged

Bikin Dad
Coaster Bike

A Dad, A Dreamer & Rider
of 2 wheelin' fun!

Reply #13 - 06/03/19 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 06/03/19 at 9:23pm:
Every day?

Cool. That should slow the wrong way poachers down a little.   

What time?  Cool

Mon-Friday...current schedule has me rolling out between 0900-1300....however, it is a camp atmosphere & we all recall those summer camps. 

A working Dad for 3, plus new bike stuff, founder of Bikin' Dads Adventures & ready to ride!
IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #14 - 06/03/19 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
[quote author=5873717F5E7B7E1A0 link=1549920156/11#11 date=1559585232 If you know, S.C. just received their N.I.C.A. sanction & will be racing throughout the state soon [/quote]

Off topic here and I'll admit I'm out of the loop so I had to search what NICA Sanction meant.  So its scholastic MTB racing which sounds great on the surface. But I can't help but feel that its a youth sport where the kids from a well to do family would have a significant equipment advantage over the kids from less privillaged families.

If its all about the kids, and learning cycling skills, and competition why not put everyone on spec equipment, low cost rigid single speeds and even the playing field?

So I skimmed through the rule book and found the clause that SINGLE SPEED BICYCLES are not allowed because they can damage knees. Roll Eyes

I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that rule was argued for by someone who sells new bicycles.

Little Timmy wants to start racing so he'll need a new carbon fiber FS bike with carbon wheels if he's gonna keep up with the fast kids I'm afraid.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 06/04/19 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Single speeds can damage knees?

Grin

They build great knees.

What damages knees is injuries from falls and bad technique, which can occur on any bike.

Children from well to do families will always have an advantage. The same as they do in other sports. Nothing like expensive sports specific camps and pro instruction during formative years to give little Johnny an advantage and some dominance the rest of the kids.. Not to mention access to better equipment.
Nothing new there. 

Clearly, races should be conducted on similar bikes.

The system is not perfect. Neither is the DNA from which children originate.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #16 - 06/04/19 at 1:08am
Print Post  
Yup, SurlyDave you are out of the loop. Have you ever seen a NICA race? Maybe you should.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #17 - 06/14/19 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Jeesh Surly, for not knowing too much about the organization you jump to strong criticism pretty darned quick. I'm not an expert on NICA but I know it's put 10s of thousands of kids in the woods on bikes regularly and I believe has a creative component to help kids afford bikes to be able to participate. While it is a competitive endeavor, ALL the participating kids get to race (no one is benched) and at a pace and intensity they desire. (I guess we could speculate about the effects of peer pressure to race to win, etc, etc.). Kudos for looking them up, but I think Tom F has the correct suggestion; you and I need to go volunteer at a race to see how much fun the kids are having. At least a glass half full, maybe?

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #18 - 07/25/19 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Heads up..

I was talking to the Ranger out at Springs today.

He said in the past week they had a broken leg and a broke/separated shoulder due to collision and wrong way trail user.

Due to the flow, new riders and lacking signage, it's a good place to keep your thinking cap on. And not ride faster than your visibility will allow.

Not a great place to practice for the race.. Hard to race when you got a broken bike, body and need hospital care.

IP Logged

JustinCeez
Coaster Bike

Reply #19 - 07/25/19 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 07/25/19 at 2:16pm:
Heads up..

I was talking to the Ranger out at Springs today.

He said in the past week they had a broken leg and a broke/separated shoulder due to collision and wrong way trail user.

Due to the flow, new riders and lacking signage, it's a good place to keep your thinking cap on. And not ride faster than your visibility will allow.

Not a great place to practice for the race.. Hard to race when you got a broken bike, body and need hospital care.

I ride here almost weekly and this has been a clear problem.  Majority of people are going the wrong way.  I think the problem is lack of singage in certain key areas.  In fact me and my buddy were the only one's going the right way last time I rode there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print