Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) TTB Trail User Survey Results (Read 3973 times)
SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

TTB Trail User Survey Results
02/14/19 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Here are the results of our 2018 trail user survey. First, thank you to all that responded. To address the needs of the community, we have to accurately know what they are. If you're a numbers nerd, there's a lot of great information here, and a few surprising results.
Questions with open text responses are not included, as I wanted to find a way to summarize those while preserving anonymity. Will update with those in the future. 

We'd love to hear from you all. What do you take away from the responses? What actions do you think we should take in response?
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

ncpappy
Coaster Bike

Re: TTB Trail User Survey Results
Reply #1 - 02/14/19 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Appreciate the honesty reflected in responses to Q23 - how often do you volunteer for trail work? but, c'mon folks there's lots of opportunities to pitch in with a shovel for a few hours every so often.  I understand the 'don't have the time' leading response on Q24, but if you can regularly make time for riding, you can also open up some occasional time to help maintain/build trail.  

Also, really like the write-in strength of beer for Q20.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #2 - 02/14/19 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Looks like we have a lot of work to do to get a rather large group or groups of riders to (i) join as members, (ii) donate to the club, and (iii) come out for some trail work experiences.

We really need to be promoting what we do, how we do it and the impact it has on the opportunities to ride and otherwise allow our communities great trails access.

The Newsletter is a great start - obviously needed per the survey.

It would be great if we had an more Events Coordinators for more regular group rides (thanks Lee!), "parties" and or Festival type event(s). We've always lacked a good, regular "social" side of the club for folks to gather, have fun and get to know each other better. That would go a long way to improve our numbers and participation. We need to give them events of one kind or another to participate in. Our monthly meetings and "smallish" trail work days that pop up soon before the event are good, but we need more opportunities to engage those not already involved.

Plus, as members we need to always ask folks we meet at the trails to join and participate. Many just need to be asked. 

Not sayin' its easy ....

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 02/14/19 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
The I am too lazy reply at the last question is an easy way out, if you spend 10 minutes on a questionnaire or reading the various replies you can very well spend one minute to donate and become a member.

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #4 - 02/14/19 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
DG wrote on 02/14/19 at 3:46pm:
The I am too lazy reply at the last question is an easy way out, if you spend 10 minutes on a questionnaire or reading the various replies you can very well spend one minute to donate and become a member.

But we should probably do a better job of making people excited to join. People indicate we don't do a great job of educating on how the money is spent, or our accomplishments. That's an easy win, something we can do today. We can also do membership drives, with prizes etc. Motivate people to get off the bench.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 02/14/19 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
SirNotAppearing wrote on 02/14/19 at 4:10pm:

But we should probably do a better job of making people excited to join. People indicate we don't do a great job of educating on how the money is spent, or our accomplishments. That's an easy win, something we can do today. We can also do membership drives, with prizes etc. Motivate people to get off the bench.

I think that it should be enough to ask a simple question when we ride, who made all this possible?. I admit I have never come to help out, but I always gave my donation, before via IMBA now directly. I know you have personally overlooked at many project in the Charlotte Area and you do it for the love of the sport. We pay $8 or more for ESPN to watch a game online, why we should not pay something to the club for all they do. 
In the past some people here told me that they do not chip in as they do not see an advantage, no my reply was always you do not want to see an advantage. Every time a tree falls and the next week pop is not there what do you call it?
Maybe in the past you were not communicating these efficiently so we had excuses, but now you have a great newsletter, maybe add a list of all the work done and ask if you cannot partecipate to clean out the trails help us by supporting the club (Gas, water, snacks etc). Yes I do not give a damn if after you go to maintain a trail you also go and buy yourself a Burger, i think it is well deserved. Maybe the club now has no money for that but I hope one day they will be able to. 
Well this is the reason why I partecipate by donating and if others they do not know how to do it, here is the link (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Ciao e grazie!

PS also this website has a cost, monthly fees, url name cost etc etc.
« Last Edit: 02/14/19 at 9:08pm by DG »  

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 02/15/19 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
ncpappy wrote on 02/14/19 at 2:59pm:
Appreciate the honesty reflected in responses to Q23 - how often do you volunteer for trail work? but, c'mon folks there's lots of opportunities to pitch in with a shovel for a few hours every so often.  I understand the 'don't have the time' leading response on Q24, but if you can regularly make time for riding, you can also open up some occasional time to help maintain/build trail.  

Also, really like the write-in strength of beer for Q20.

And that's why there stopped being response to "why aren't you a member" thread.  You can't ask for someone's opinion or reasoning and then tell them they are wrong.

Some people's situations are different, some people have a stay at home wife, or a light work schedule, or no kids.  Some have a 40+ hour work week, two working parents, multiple kids, school, etc.  The majority of the time I have to get up on the weekend and be on the trail/road at 8am at the latest to get riding in on the weekend and I'm actually off work on the weekend!

IP Logged

jaybase09
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 02/15/19 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 02/15/19 at 1:18pm:

And that's why there stopped being response to "why aren't you a member" thread.  You can't ask for someone's opinion or reasoning and then tell them they are wrong.

Some people's situations are different, some people have a stay at home wife, or a light work schedule, or no kids.  Some have a 40+ hour work week, two working parents, multiple kids, school, etc.  The majority of the time I have to get up on the weekend and be on the trail/road at 8am at the latest to get riding in on the weekend and I'm actually off work on the weekend!

So then join the club for 35 bucks a year or less than 3 dollars a month. Everything helps money or time.

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #8 - 02/15/19 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Nice to see what the people like and won't.

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #9 - 02/15/19 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
jaybase09 wrote on 02/15/19 at 3:13pm:

So then join the club for 39 bucks a year or less than 3 dollars a month. Everything helps money or time.

Fixed it for ya. Yea, we'd love for everyone to join and try to get out and help with some trailwork, and also understand some folks may not be able to. However, most everyone can do some part of that. Even though to "us", its a no-brainer, we need to ask, and make our case for support.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #10 - 02/15/19 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 02/15/19 at 1:18pm:

Keep in mind that everyone commenting here is presenting their own opinions, not that of the club (including me). But yes, we recognize that not everyone is able or willing to volunteer on the trail, and long standing members need to be ok with that. I think we should make it easier for people to support in other ways: money, advocacy, the many many other talents people have that could benefit the club, marketing, web, photography, grant writing, etc etc.

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 02/16/19 at 12:57am
Print Post  
worker-rider wrote on 02/15/19 at 4:07pm:
Nice to see what the people like and won't.

I thought the same thing about Q#9 what type of trails you prefer.  140 said Hand built ST compared to 40 that said Machine built ST.

If you had to pick one type people voted more than 3:1 in favor of hand built over machine.

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #12 - 02/16/19 at 5:02am
Print Post  
The issue is that no one wants to step forward to build that hand built singletrack and see it through to completion.... much less maintain it.
« Last Edit: 02/16/19 at 5:02am by Gravitythief76 »  

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #13 - 02/16/19 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
“But yes, we recognize that not everyone is able or willing to volunteer on the trail, and long standing members need to be ok with that. I think we should make it easier for people to support in other ways: money, advocacy, the many many other talents people have that could benefit the club, marketing, web, photography, grant writing, etc etc.”
[/quote]

Execellent point. Everyone has different talents and circumstances. It just makes sense to tap those resources as they become available and appropriate. The key to a successful organization is to have folks enthusiastic about pitching in to make the Club and trails better. If that’s by building / maintaining trails fantastic.  If it’s through a donation of time for other projects or money that’s fine too. Examples:

*. Design a T-shirt that can be sold to finance trail maintence and raise awareness of the Club.
*  Co-host a MTB festival / race at a local trail. 
*. Put on MTB classes at local trails periodically. Change sites and focus to reflect different demographics and skill levels. 
*. Several work parties have had food afterwards, how about volunteering to cook if that’s your thing. 
*. Design an MTB specific ap for the Club. 
*. Offer to update the Club website. 
*. If you’re in the industry, write a column for the newsletter about how to maintain, or upgrade your bike or industry trends.
*. Become a Trail Coordinator or Club officer. 

Ultimately we are blessed with a lot of interested folks all of whom seem to have a great deal of passion about the sport. Our challenge is to convert that interest into action and improve the number of folks who “own” a part of the process through membership in the Club.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #14 - 02/16/19 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Just renewed my pledge to THTB, it was that time of the year. I never noticed but I can have a recurring amount donated every month via PayPal. That is a great feature. My question is, I prefer the donation as I know it goes 100% to the club, do you have any benefits receiving the money via IMBA or it is better a direct donation . I know they keep a portion but I was wondering if you had any benefits from it, or none at all.

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #15 - 02/19/19 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Double edged sword huh gravity thief? Or you could just fall on the sword? Lord knows I have! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: 02/19/19 at 12:18am by worker-rider »  

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #16 - 02/19/19 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
DG wrote on 02/16/19 at 3:07pm:
Just renewed my pledge to THTB, it was that time of the year. I never noticed but I can have a recurring amount donated every month via PayPal. That is a great feature. My question is, I prefer the donation as I know it goes 100% to the club, do you have any benefits receiving the money via IMBA or it is better a direct donation . I know they keep a portion but I was wondering if you had any benefits from it, or none at all.

See the Club Info/ Join the Trailblazers drop down for this message:

Join the Tarheel Trailblazers! 

The Tarheel Trailblazers (THTB) are a non-profit organization, recoginized as tax exempt in October 1997. 

When you join the Trailblazers, you join SORBA and IMBA. 

When you join the club, your membership is divided 60% IMBA/SORBA / 40% THTB. Not only is your membership going directly into the trails here in the piedmont of NC, it’s also supporting two organizations that advocate the sport of mountain biking in the southeast and beyond. 

When you click on the JOIN button (below), you will be redirected to the IMBA site for membership application and/or renewal. Please understand that any monies above the $39 membership will also be distributed on a 60 / 40 split.

If you would like to make a direct financial contribution to the Trailblazers, click on the Donation button. 100% of your contribution will go to the Trailblazers. So the choice is yours! It’s a win-win proposition either way you choose to go!

The membership revenue that is shared with IMBA is in return for a lot of services that IMBA provides to all of the SORBA clubs (over 50 clubs now I think), including membership renewal, back office, Regional Director, Assistant Regional Director and other staff services, etc.

IP Logged

Oskie
In The Loop

Reply #17 - 02/19/19 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Gravitythief76 wrote on 02/16/19 at 5:02am:
The issue is that no one wants to step forward to build that hand built singletrack and see it through to completion.... much less maintain it.

I suspect there's a large prejudice against machine built trails because they are deemed "less cool" or easier. The goal should be well designed, constructed and maintained instead of the construction method. If you blindfolded people and had them ride a hand built trail and then a machine built one, I doubt many could tell the difference.

IP Logged

johnski
Small Cog

Reply #18 - 02/19/19 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Oskie wrote on 02/19/19 at 3:45pm:

If you blindfolded people and had them ride a hand built trail and then a machine built one, I doubt many could tell the difference.

Well, duh. They'd be blindfolded and slam into the nearest tree.

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #19 - 02/19/19 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Oskie wrote on 02/19/19 at 3:45pm:

The goal should be well designed, constructed and maintained

Agreed!  We only get one shot to design new trail systems and it's got to be done right.  The bad ass trail systems popping up all over the country (and the southeast, Knoxville, Boone, Johnson City, etc.) have invested money in planning and design for their flagship trails and that's why they turn out so well.

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print