Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Nc Bike Registration (Read 3284 times)
dogrunner
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Nc Bike Registration
02/28/19 at 12:23am
Print Post  
So I just saw on the news ...that North Carolina is now requiring people to register their bikes which would include a fee to North Carolina and if you don't do it there is a possibility you could get fined $25

WTF is going on ???

Curious if 
anybody knows anything about this ???

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Re: Nc Bike Registration
Reply #1 - 02/28/19 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Yes they say they will use the money for bike trails, bicycle lanes etc. I have seen bicycle tax and plates in Switzerland in the 70 and 80, but never in other countries. My question is, and if I sell the bicycle I have to go to the DMV to return the plate? Imagine the lines.....

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #2 - 02/28/19 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Strongly suggest that we all take a moment to write, email, and call our State Representatives to express our concerns regarding this very ill conceived proposal. The premise that it will raise money for bike infrastructure simply will not pencil out at $10 per bike and will only establish the mandate that is later used to increase taxes once again with little or no gain to us as end users. Not to mention the chaos it will create at the DMV. The few moments it will take to make your thoughts known today will pale in comparison to the time you spend in line at the DMV if this bill goes through.

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 02/28/19 at 2:28am
Print Post  
I hadn't heard this yet.  On the roads bicycles are vehicles so I get it in a sense.  They are not motor vehicles and so far that has been enough to keep them as a separate kind of road vehicle being SELF propelled.  I have to wonder if Ebikes are playing into this logic, being not self propelled as in a moped dressed as a bicycle.

I'm actually ok with this if they want me to register my road bikes and apply those funds toward road maintenance on bikes that touch the roads.  I'm having a harder time believing that fees from a MTB tax are going toward trail development.

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 02/28/19 at 2:35am
Print Post  
As I recall NC had some kind of registration back in the 80's and maybe into the early 90's.  Anyone else remember the red sticker with numbers on the lower part of the seat tube?  I know my BMX bikes as a kid had this and I'm pretty sure my first 2 MTB's from Bicycle East on Sharon Amity had this too.  This might have been a "license" but I recall a fee- maybe 5% or something being on the had written invoice from the shop.
« Last Edit: 02/28/19 at 2:41am by SurlyDave »  

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 02/28/19 at 2:36am
Print Post  
SurlyDave wrote on 02/28/19 at 2:28am:
I hadn't heard this yet.  On the roads bicycles are vehicles so I get it in a sense.  They are not motor vehicles and so far that has been enough to keep them as a separate kind of road vehicle being SELF propelled.  I have to wonder if Ebikes are playing into this logic, being not self propelled as in a moped dressed as a bicycle.

I'm actually ok with this if they want me to register my road bikes and apply those funds toward road maintenance on bikes that touch the roads.  I'm having a harder time believing that fees from a MTB tax are going toward trail development.

Frankly I see no sense in any case. Then  what is next law? Bike should align with other cats at lights like motorcycle do? And ebike is not an excuse.

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 02/28/19 at 3:00am
Print Post  
OK so I found the bill online.  The idea is to fund bicycle safety including bike lanes.  Bike lanes are pretty useless and hardly safe so I'm not ok with this.  No mention of a fee on off road bicycles so there is that.

IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

aka "Lil Bill" or "Squatch"

Reply #7 - 02/28/19 at 3:08am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Sounds like the proposed bill only applies if you ride on the road.  I hope it don't apply to zwift!

Everyone needs at least one boat! 

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
IP Logged

madss
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 02/28/19 at 3:16am
Print Post  
So cops are now going to pull over groups of roadie to check tags, regulation and write tickets. Damn liberal parisites suck the bloody fun out of life.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #9 - 02/28/19 at 4:00am
Print Post  
madss wrote on 02/28/19 at 3:16am:
So cops are now going to pull over groups of roadie to check tags, regulation and write tickets. Damn liberal parisites suck the bloody fun out of life.

Exactly, never gonna happen, not worth a moment of time.

Sure as shaight the millenials  that are the majority of people on bikes these days don't give a rip

IP Logged

chickenwyre
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 02/28/19 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Can I just get 1 plate and swap between bike or will I get pulled over for riding my 160mm squish instead of my 115mm squish to the trailhead. Would love to see the bike police trying to identify frame manufactures on the road and see if it lines up with the tag. 

I get the idea but then why aren't pedestrians charged an extra tax for using sidewalks or new greenways? Creating new sidewalks is undoubtedly more expensive than slapping some bike shapes on the road and calling it a bike lane. 

Are these types of projects not considered for the good of the public? Having good bike lanes and routes helps encourage people to use non-car transportation and being part of the traffic issue which is one of Charlotte's biggest problems. And it's not like having a silly little plate is going to demand more respect from the bad drivers that shout at us, throw garbage at us, or force us off the road. Aholes will still be aholes.

btw who in the Gov can I send this to?

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 02/28/19 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Haha ha

Idiotic.

I think they used to do this when I was a kid. I remember seeing stickers on bikes back on those days.
Most people ignored it.

How about just e-bikes.  Smiley

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #12 - 02/28/19 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
madss wrote on 02/28/19 at 3:16am:

The bill was introduced by Jeffrey Elmore, a republican representative from Alexander County, and...checks official website..."your conservative voice."

IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

aka "Lil Bill" or "Squatch"

Reply #13 - 02/28/19 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
SirNotAppearing wrote on 02/28/19 at 3:19pm:

The bill was introduced by Jeffrey Elmore, a republican representative from Alexander County, and...checks official website..."your conservative voice."

Regardless of political affiliation of the sponsor on this bill it's a dumb idea aimed at more regulation and more money.  To hell with politics.  Lets not turn this into typical finger pointing BS you see everywhere else online.  That goes for both of you.  Keep calm and troll on...

Everyone needs at least one boat! 

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #14 - 02/28/19 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
This is how the swiss did it. It was more an insurance problem.
from (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Bike insurance sticker
The vignette (insurance sticker) for bicycles was phased out at the beginning of 2012. Cover against damage caused to third parties in an accident involving a bicycle can be provided by your personal liability insurance. If you ride a pedal-assisted e-bike with a speed of over 25 km/h, you need a motor-assisted bicycle registration plate and an annually-renewable vignette (read how to get one below).

Most insurance companies automatically include cover for cycling accidents in personal liability insurance. You should ask your insurer to be sure you have this cover. If you do not have liability insurance you are no longer insured if you cause damage to third parties in a cycling accident.

Accident victims receive compensation from the Swiss National Guarantee Fund ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)). The fund may claim part or all of the amount paid from the perpetrator of the accident. So it is worth having insurance cover for cycling accidents.

Rules for e-bikes/electric bikes
There are two types of electric bike: slow (assisted pedalling up to 25km/h) and fast (assisted pedalling up to 45km/h).

The minimum age for riding an electric bike is 14.
Cyclists aged 16 and above may ride a slow e-bike without any form of licence. They may also be ridden by young people aged 14 or 15 who hold a category M driving licence (for motorised bicycles).
A driving licence (at least category M) is required to ride a fast e-bike.
E-bikes must use cycle lanes.
Slow e-bikes (up to 25km/h) are allowed to use roads signposted “no motorised bicycles”. Fast e-bikes can only use these roads with their motor switched off.
Fast e-bikes still need a number plate and vignette. (Get these from your canton’s road traffic office if they are not supplied directly by the shop that sold you your bike).
A cycle helmet should be worn. It is compulsory to wear a helmet when riding a fast e-bike.
Cycling equipment
The Swiss Council for Accident Prevention provides brochures on equipment you need to ride a bike, mountain bike or e-bike.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #15 - 02/28/19 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
NC Kingsting wrote on 02/28/19 at 2:16am:
Strongly suggest that we all take a moment to write, email, and call our State Representatives to express our concerns regarding this very ill conceived proposal. 

Here you are folks!

Hit em up and make sure your voice is heard.
« Last Edit: 02/28/19 at 5:11pm by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #16 - 03/01/19 at 12:33am
Print Post  
SirNotAppearing wrote on 02/28/19 at 3:19pm:

Grin

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #17 - 03/01/19 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 02/28/19 at 5:10pm:

Here you are folks!

I am screwed mine is district 9....

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #18 - 03/01/19 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 02/28/19 at 5:10pm:

Here you are folks!

Thanks for the link. Actually the same one I used when continuing my rant last night. Site will give you the email address of your Rep and make it easy to chime in. If you don’t want some dumbass from Raliegh putting a plate on your bike like you used to get from a cereal box:

Then I’d suggest taking a moment to let your feelings be known. As an alternative maybe they will “allow” you to spend some more money and personalize it. What a “Great” way to spend your time and money - NOT.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #19 - 03/01/19 at 2:12am
Print Post  
Back when I registered my bike as a kid it was sold to us that it would make it easier for the police to return them to us if stolen.

Yeah right.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print