Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Ovalized crank spindle? (Read 537 times)
SurlyDave
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Ovalized crank spindle?
03/06/19 at 12:39am
Print Post  
The other day I realized I had a good bit of "play" in my cranks on my SS.  I assumed that the BB  had simply run out of life so Amazon we go and in with a new 24mm BB a few days later.  Put it all back together and it still had a good bit of play.  Pulled the crank again and measured with my micrometer and found that on the non drive side of the spindle it varies from 24mm a little as I rotate around the shaft at the point that it rides on the bearings.  Not much but almost a couple of 10ths. SO on the drive side it is nearly exactly 24mm around the spindle and on the non drive side its like 23.9 to 23.75ish.
Is this common?  I fear my nearly vintage Truvativ 180's are cooked which I can't come to grips with but this shade tree mechanic can't find another explaination.
« Last Edit: 03/06/19 at 12:52am by SurlyDave »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Re: Ovalized crank spindle?
Reply #1 - 03/06/19 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Had a similar problem with an old Race Face crankset.  Constant creaking and couldn't get the play out.  Sounds like they are toast.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Re: Ovalized crank spindle?
Reply #2 - 03/06/19 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
I still have these if interested. I had someone that wanted them, but I never got around to setting up a meet. Then I just kinda forgot all about them.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print