Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Charlotte MTB Summer Series (Read 2429 times)
team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Charlotte MTB Summer Series
03/07/19 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Any word on Charlotte MTB Summer Series returning this year?

I have seen no confirmation or denial.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Deo Volente
IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Re: Charlotte MTB Summer Series
Reply #1 - 03/07/19 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Just read through the old thread about 2018 being cancelled.... still will cross my fingers and dream of a local weekend XC series Sad

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #2 - 03/07/19 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
It will not be returning unless a sponsor or sponsors step up and puts money into the series. Like every other series out there, if the cash flow is negative then it will stop. Notice I did not say it needs to make a profit. Remember the CMS Time Trail Series. 

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

DirtDan
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 03/08/19 at 4:28am
Print Post  
It boggles the mind that organizers in the Triad area and other smaller areas can put together a financially viable series.  However, the organizers in the big Charlotte metro area, with all the shops and vibrant cycling community here, can not.   Shocked  If you go to the old Summer Series website, they list about 20 or so sponsors.  Go to the Racing in the Woods site, which does Triad area races, and they have only 6.  Its hard to imagine the Triad sponsors are putting a boat load more $s into their series that what organizers here have been able to gather from theirs', but I'm just theorizing and could be way off the mark.  It leaves one to wonder if corporate pressure on the local organizers here to focus more attention on easier to hit profitability targets by focusing on running and/or "charity" events.  If you follow the trends in local racing scene, the organizers who used to handle our local mtb races now have a load of running events and very few bike races, outside of some charity rides and the Winter Short Track series.  Bike racing, as a whole (road and mtb), has lost a lot of races locally since the primary local organizer was bought out by a larger firm.  Again, just theorizing and I may be wrong to be connecting the dots that way.

If I heard it correctly, the downfall of the CMS Timetrial Series started when Humpy Wheeler retired, new management took over the speedway and jacked up the fees. S2F took it over and tried to make it work, but couldn't after a couple rounds last year.  Was the city Parks & Rec or WWC increasing fees for the Summer Series over the years?

Regardless of the rationale of the Summer Series demise, I miss it a lot too.  It opened up my eyes to the whole Charlotte cycling community, it was a hell of a lot of fun, and really changed my life.  I made a LOT of friends by starting racing in that series, and it turned cycling from just a casual solitary hobby into a passionate lifestyle with a community that has become a big part of my life.  I keep my fingers crossed that someday, someone will step up and try to revive the local spring/summer mtb race scene again.  With the huge variety of trail venues in this city, there is a ton of opportunity.

IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Reply #4 - 03/08/19 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
I'd be interested in supporting/starting a MTB TT series like TORC does in the winter.  Basically you have about a 2 hour time window to record one timed lap.  Riders line up and roll off at 30sec intervals.  Start and finish would be same area so it would be relatively easy to score.  Not sure how much interest there would be, tho.
« Last Edit: 03/08/19 at 12:26pm by team_ssr »  

Deo Volente
IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 03/08/19 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
santana wrote on 03/07/19 at 10:50pm:
It will not be returning unless a sponsor or sponsors step up and puts money into the series. Like every other series out there, if the cash flow is negative then it will stop. Notice I did not say it needs to make a profit. Remember the CMS Time Trail Series. 

ciao
Santana

You didn't say it, but does it not?  Correct me if I'm wrong but S2F isn't a club or anything like that; its a business and its people have to eat.  I've always thought THTB getting involved in the racing scene would be a great way to bring in new club members and keep cost low enough to attract racers.  I think the biggest hurdle is the thought of stepping on S2F's feet who is supportive of the club.  In the meantime, the local race scene suffers.  Nothing against S2F, I get it and if I was in the situation I'm not sure I wouldn't choose any different.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #6 - 03/08/19 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Wouldn't less races on the weekend, held on the weekend be more profitable/break even than trying to run 30+ races on a Wednesday? Less races, less setup, more money?
« Last Edit: 03/08/19 at 2:55pm by pearl »  

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 03/08/19 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 03/08/19 at 2:43pm:
Wouldn't less races on the weekend, held on the weekend be more profitable/break even than trying to run 30+ races on a Wednesday? Less races, less setup, more money?

Oh I agree with you completely and I think the problem is that we are looking at it as if we weren't doing or catering to any time based events already...

Once again my personal opinion, but you have a lot of 5,8,10K runs on weekends which are way more profitable.  I also can't really blame them here either, if I had to choose between runs which I do 8X the amount of vs cycling (not to mention a ton more people pre register and show up), I would choose runs.  You add in fact that other ranked regional series are running during summer weekends - it becomes less of a priority.

What I do think we have here is an area where an event organizer could step in.  The problem is the hurdle and distressing of S2F.

What I think would help is if that is the case S2F would give more information outside of (taking some time off).  I would much prefer someone to say that promoting the cycling community is just not as reliable as other races and therefore no longer a priority and let someone else step in without feeling like they are impeding on S2F.  You aren't "taking time off" if you are still doing multiple if not more run races.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 03/08/19 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
all good points; I understand running events that put money in your pockets, its hard to argue that!

i find it amazing that CLT cannot support a local weekend mtb race series.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #9 - 03/18/19 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 03/08/19 at 7:30pm:
all good points; I understand running events that put money in your pockets, its hard to argue that!

i find it amazing that CLT cannot support a local weekend mtb race series.

I do agree with you!

IP Logged

WillMurray
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 03/18/19 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Did a bunch of replies get deleted?  Huh

Equal opportunity cyclist

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #11 - 03/18/19 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
WillMurray wrote on 03/18/19 at 4:22pm:

It looks like a couple days worth of posting has disappeared. Not sure what happened. Must be a host issue.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #12 - 03/19/19 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
WillMurray wrote on 03/18/19 at 4:22pm:

Yes across the board; my guess there was an outage where a restore was done.

I'm working on trying to get a survey for what people want from a local race series.  Anybody is welcome to PM me their email if they would like to have input on questions/answers.

Thanks,
Jeff

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print