Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Shock suggestion Stumpy ST 29 (Read 1728 times)
IdriveGT
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Shock suggestion Stumpy ST 29
03/19/19 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Hi, looking for suggestion on what people feel is the best rear shock for pedaling efficiency.  I made the leap to a the new stumpy 29er, always rode hardtails.  Like everything about it but the lack of pedaling efficiency on the bike. It just has the base X-fusion shock on it currently, wondering if there is a better shock to upgrade to clearly get better climbing performance.  Rockshox Deluxe rtc3, Fox DPS. can creek DB inline, or even manitou Mcleod? Curious what people suggestions are or do I just need a more efficient FS suspension design to satisfy my needs to not want to chuck the FS and go back to my hardtails!  I have played with pressure and rebound to I am blue in my face  Cry

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 03/19/19 at 3:45pm by IdriveGT »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Remember.....Don't be Afraid of it!

IP Logged

schnebit
Coaster Bike

Re: Shock suggestion Stumpy ST 29
Reply #1 - 03/20/19 at 1:44am
Print Post  
I'm looking at the same bike and I've heard that the fox dps that is spec'd on the higher models have a better tune and ride better.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

I'm too old for the big ring. That's why I only have one

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #2 - 03/20/19 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
schnebit wrote on 03/20/19 at 1:44am:
I'm looking at the same bike and I've heard that the fox dps that is spec'd on the higher models have a better tune and ride better.

Ditto on the Fox.  Is this the SJ ST 29er or just the standard SJ 29er?  Current year model (2019) I'm assuming?  If the latter, it's a long travel bike.  It will only climb so well.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

IdriveGT
Coaster Bike

Reply #3 - 03/20/19 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 03/20/19 at 1:06pm:

Ditto on the Fox.  Is this the SJ ST 29er or just the standard SJ 29er?  Current year model (2019) I'm assuming?  If the latter, it's a long travel bike.  It will only climb so well.

Hi, thanks for the responses! Yes, it is the 2019 short travel 29er.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 03/31/19 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Ive had the carbon comp 29 (long travel) for almost a year now. It took me two months to completely blow out the Fox DPS stock shock. I picked up a Cane Creek Double Barrel CS and would highly recommend. So much better on DH. And climbs great, with or without the climb switch on, and im not worried about durability like i was on the fox. Much larger air shaft, larger air can on the shock also means you can use a lot less shock pressure than some of the others. I have a DBairIL on my Enduro and it doesnt fade or heat up like other air shocks for full park days at snowshoe, bailey, or beach...

Its pricey, but if you hit up the guys at cane creek, theyll take care of you, and i think theyre even running 20% off right now.

And Mark. The long travel stumpy still climbs awesome. Makes it up quite sketchy climbs all the time.  Cheesy

IP Logged

IdriveGT
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 03/31/19 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
hudsontp wrote on 03/31/19 at 10:56am:
Ive had the carbon comp 29 (long travel) for almost a year now. It took me two months to completely blow out the Fox DPS stock shock. I picked up a Cane Creek Double Barrel CS and would highly recommend. So much better on DH. And climbs great, with or without the climb switch on, and im not worried about durability like i was on the fox. Much larger air shaft, larger air can on the shock also means you can use a lot less shock pressure than some of the others. I have a DBairIL on my Enduro and it doesnt fade or heat up like other air shocks for full park days at snowshoe, bailey, or beach...

Its pricey, but if you hit up the guys at cane creek, theyll take care of you, and i think theyre even running 20% off right now.

And Mark. The long travel stumpy still climbs awesome. Makes it up quite sketchy climbs all the time.  Cheesy

Thanks for the feedback! Found the discounts as well, picked up the DBairIL! Then also could not pass up the discount on a helm air as well.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 03/31/19 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
IdriveGT wrote on 03/31/19 at 12:32pm:

Thanks for the feedback! Found the discounts as well, picked up the DBairIL! Then also could not pass up the discount on a helm air as well.

Awesome! Great choice, ive had the IL on thr other bike for a few years and it is great too. Just 0icked up the eewings Ti cranks so i dont think i can afford a Helm this year. Smiley but that is on the short list.

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #7 - 04/02/19 at 2:32am
Print Post  
IdriveGT wrote on 03/19/19 at 3:43pm:
Hi, looking for suggestion on what people feel is the best rear shock for pedaling efficiency.  I made the leap to a the new stumpy 29er, always rode hardtails.  Like everything about it but the lack of pedaling efficiency on the bike. It just has the base X-fusion shock on it currently, wondering if there is a better shock to upgrade to clearly get better climbing performance.  Rockshox Deluxe rtc3, Fox DPS. can creek DB inline, or even manitou Mcleod? Curious what people suggestions are or do I just need a more efficient FS suspension design to satisfy my needs to not want to chuck the FS and go back to my hardtails!  I have played with pressure and rebound to I am blue in my face  Cry

Thanks in advance

Chris, you never sit when you pedal. To much time on the HT singlespeeds. Your a masher. No FS will ever ride like your hardtails. Need to stay in the saddle, spin, and let the bike do what it was built to do.  Wink

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

IdriveGT
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 05/04/19 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Have had a few rides on the db air inline/helm combo. It rocks! I thought my pike was good, the helm takes it to another level. The rear shock is so much more supportive, but still plush. Climbing has improved greatlty!

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 05/05/19 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Just picked up a Helm last night after my fork axle broke last night heading to pisgah for a race.  Cane Creek took my call, and totally got me everything i needed for install...just did a 66 shakedown in pisgah with nothing other than setting air pressure out of the box and this thing is amazing...

Unbelievable service and even better performance...holy crap...

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 05/07/19 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
hudsontp wrote on 03/31/19 at 2:56pm:

Awesome! Great choice, ive had the IL on thr other bike for a few years and it is great too. Just 0icked up the eewings Ti cranks so i dont think i can afford a Helm this year. Smiley but that is on the short list.

Epic timing  Grin

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 05/07/19 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Slothzilla wrote on 05/07/19 at 5:42pm:

Epic timing  Grin

Yep. And youll probably see me selling things shortly to pay back my wife. Wink

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #12 - 05/08/19 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
hudsontp wrote on 05/05/19 at 1:34am:
Just picked up a Helm last night after my fork axle broke last night heading to pisgah for a race.  Cane Creek took my call, and totally got me everything i needed for install...just did a 66 shakedown in pisgah with nothing other than setting air pressure out of the box and this thing is amazing...

Unbelievable service and even better performance...holy crap...

IdriveGT wrote on 05/04/19 at 11:03pm:
Have had a few rides on the db air inline/helm combo. It rocks! I thought my pike was good, the helm takes it to another level. The rear shock is so much more supportive, but still plush. Climbing has improved greatlty!

Stoked!!! Thanks guys... glad to hear you are both enjoying your CC suspension. If your ever up in Pisgah, USA give me a holler and lets ride!  Cool

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print