Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Long Travel 29'er / Transition/ Yeti /Evil (Read 4712 times)
de49192

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Long Travel 29'er / Transition/ Yeti /Evil
05/01/19 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Currently on a 27.5 YT Jeffsy but considering making the switch to a 29 to try one out,  anyone had any experience with a longer travel 29er like a Transition Sentinel/or Yeti SB150, Evil Offering 

Just wondering about some of the pro's/cons from your personal experience if you have switched from a 27.5

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Re: Long Travel 29'er / Transition/ Yeti /Evil
Reply #1 - 05/11/19 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Haven't ridden the Yeti or Evil, but I have been on the Sentinel.  It basically monster trucks everything.  I rode it in Pisgah and it's perfect for the tougher trails.  Definitely overkill for anything in Charlotte.  I was set to buy one as a second bike for Pisgah and some bike park duty (I have a hard tail that I ride locally).  I ended up buying a Commencal Meta TR 29.  Geometry is almost identical to the Sentinel but the HTA is a little less slack and it uses a different offset fork.  My only complaint about the Sentinel is that it is cumbersome on climbs due to the slack front end.  It has a good amount of wheel flop from side-to-side making steep uphill switchbacks a little tricky.

If you're only going to be riding locally it's definitely not worth it for a longer travel bike.  If you want something that can slay anything around here you should look into the new Ripley.  It's a killer bike that can actually handle some rough stuff too if you get to the mountains every once in a while.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

de49192

Reply #2 - 05/13/19 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback,  have  you tried out the smuggler ? That was another option I was considering but wanted to have one bike that could ride around here mostly but also take up to the mountains.  Never been on a Ibis bike, but will take a look.

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #3 - 05/13/19 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
I've got a SB5.5, which is in between the SB130 and SB150.  I would say the the SB150 is a whole lotta bike for Charlotte trails.  If you plan on riding Pisgah and Wilson's a bunch, you would enjoy the hell out of it.  But if you're looking to ride CLT trails more w/ an occasional trip to the mountains, I'd opt for the SB130 instead.

my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: 05/13/19 at 2:00pm by Mr.B »  

IP Logged

Tinkertown
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 05/19/19 at 3:31am
Print Post  
I ride a 2015 Smuggler. Best bike ever. 

Have ridden it in Pisgah and taken it to Bailey. No problems whatsoever. 

Highly recommend demoing one. I think the Hub has one.

IP Logged

de49192

Reply #5 - 05/21/19 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Anyone on a Ibis Ripmo ?

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 05/21/19 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Hear really good things about it...but just like a SB150, that's lots-o-bike for CLT.  Where are you doing most of your riding?

IP Logged

de49192

Reply #7 - 05/21/19 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
WWC, Rocky River, Poston,  with occasional Trips to Asheville  -

IP Logged

Mike 5
Small Cog

Reply #8 - 05/21/19 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path in Cornelius has (had?) Transition Smugglers for demo. Rode it, bought one, love it.

"Bad decisions make for great stories."

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #9 - 05/21/19 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
de49192 wrote on 05/21/19 at 6:39pm:
WWC, Rocky River, Poston,  with occasional Trips to Asheville  -

I'd look at the new Ripley, a Smuggler, Following or similar 29er with 120-130mm.

120-130mm with a proper Geo. and parts can shred the ever living s***out of pretty much anything and its less bike to horse around on the old Flat and Twisty you find in Charlotte.

Those bikes are equally at home in WNC and are a blast to ride here. I'd ride a proper built 130mm bike over a mega-slack 160mm bike that weights 35lbs.

The new crop of short travel bikes are insanely capable.

My buddy has a RipMo and I will say for a longer travel bike it pedals extremely well and doesn't feel as burly as it is. He did have to warranty the frame after 5 months tho...
« Last Edit: 05/21/19 at 8:27pm by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

WillMurray
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 05/22/19 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
I love my 29er Stumpjumper. 

Won a short track race on it and an enduro.

Equal opportunity cyclist

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #11 - 05/22/19 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Built a Evil Offering @ 140mm with DVO suspension this winter and absolutely love it. Eats up the rough stuff like it’s nothing and pedals really well too. This new geometry thing is pretty amazing.

IP Logged

Kajak
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 05/28/19 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
+1 on the Evil Offering. New geo is the real deal. From BYT and WWC to Pisgah this bike delivers.

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #13 - 05/31/19 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I'm on an Offering. it is the first bike that I've owned in a long time that feels like a true all around bike. It doesn't do anything horribly. It does everything above average. It feels like "my bike". it does RIP downhill though. I've ridden it with 140mm (low position) and 160mm (xtra low position) fork. I prefer it in 140 form if you have to climb techy stuff. I'll throw a 160mm Lyric on it for park days this year. I'm also running an 11.6 rear and the suspension feels dialed. I typically go through an enduro bike a year but this one will stay for a few years. I really like it and don't feel like i'm compromising in any way.

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #14 - 05/31/19 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I also owned a Sentinel, so I can compare those two. I sold the Sentinel within a few months. The geo felt too extreme for me. The head angle was too slack for my style of riding. The rear suspension didn't feel good to me. Felt like it blew through travel on climbs but wouldn't use all the travel on descents. I tried like crazy to get the rear shock set up right and just couldn't make it work. The geometry and rear suspension design of the Evil are much better for me. And the Sentinel doesn't do as well with a coil, if that matters to you.

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

Tinkertown
Coaster Bike

Reply #15 - 06/09/19 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Do you feel like the geo of the Offering is too slack for WWC type trails, even with 140mm fork in Low mode?

IP Logged

Kajak
Coaster Bike

Reply #16 - 06/09/19 at 1:54am
Print Post  
No worries on being too slack. Offering is very nimble on tight and twisty trails. I think the 51 fork offset keeps the Offering lively yet stable in turns.

IP Logged

Skid Boot

Reply #17 - 06/09/19 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
I just picked up a 2018 Fuel EX 8 29er.  It should be a good balance for local and Pisgah type riding.

IP Logged

Tinkertown
Coaster Bike

Reply #18 - 06/09/19 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Kajak wrote on 06/09/19 at 1:54am:
No worries on being too slack. Offering is very nimble on tight and twisty trails. I think the 51 fork offset keeps the Offering lively yet stable in turns.

Awesome. Gonna knock my Smuggler back by 1 degree with an Angleset.

IP Logged

Gray Rider

Reply #19 - 06/11/19 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Would like your guys opinions on:
Evil Following
Ibis Ripley

Ya?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print