Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Long Travel 29'er / Transition/ Yeti /Evil (Read 4713 times)
Gray Rider

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Long Travel 29'er / Transition/ Yeti /Evil
Reply #20 - 06/11/19 at 12:25am
Print Post  
I do realize that is a bit subjective.........isnt everything?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Gray Rider

Reply #21 - 06/15/19 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Gray Rider wrote on 06/11/19 at 12:24am:
Would like your guys opinions on:
Evil Following
Ibis Ripley

Ya?

Nevermind.  I have committed to a Following......

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

sig_edmund
Coaster Bike

Reply #22 - 07/17/19 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Owned the Following until very recently and ridden a Ripley LS many times.  Both are hilarious fun in NC.  They both have a version of the DW link suspension so they climb unlike most other bikes (except Pivots) have you ridden either?  Moreover, where are you going to ride it?

IP Logged

James Banta
Small Cog

Reply #23 - 07/18/19 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
I've ridden quite a few bikes over the past year while looking for a new trail 29er.  For charlotte and pisgah riding, I'd steer clear of the Sentinel.  I demo'd one at the WWC and was not a fan.  Far too much front wheel flop and I could not balance front and rear traction when climbing.  I had to dab my foot twice when climbing up Goat.  The Geo is just a bit too much for CLT trails.  That said...bikes like these have their place.  I just demo'd a Guerilla Gravity Smash this week out in Colorado.  Out west, I had the same climbing balance issue but it was an absolute monster on chunky descents.  The Longhorn trail I rode was was rougher than anything I've seen in pisgah.  You could ride steep rock drops with little to no speed.  High speed cornering was a dream etc..

Sounds like you already got a bike, but I'd recommend a Transition Smuggler, Yeti SB130, the new Ripley, or a Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistola.  Evil's are a bit short on reach and I'd expect them to update their geo soon.  I've ridden all of these except for the Ripley and I'd pick the SB130 if money was no object.  When I rode the SB130 this week I was blown away with how smooth it was.  The rear suspension was somehow supportive/firm while staying supple over fast square edge rock hits.  They have a "lunch ride" version with a longer stroke if you wanted more travel for weekend trips etc...

All in all, you really cant go wrong with any of these modern trail bikes!  I ended up buying a smuggler with a longer rear shock (210x55 vs 210x50) and love it.

IP Logged

de49192

Reply #24 - 07/19/19 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Ended up going with a Evil Offering after demoing a few different bikes.  Smuggler was a very close second option and ultimately came down to slightly better price on the Evil.  I tried out the SB130 as well and thought it pedaled really well but overall didnt like it as much as the other two.  The offering has updated geo that is more on par with Yeti and Transitions SBG so ended up going with a medium frame -  should be coming in the next week or so and will post a few pics once its built up.

IP Logged

Tinkertown
Coaster Bike

Reply #25 - 07/23/19 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Would love to hear how the long stroke Smuggler rides - any frame contact, do you need to run more sag, did you up fork, etc. 

Also very curious about the Offering!

IP Logged

James Banta
Small Cog

Reply #26 - 08/01/19 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Tinkertown - I didn't ride the smuggler without the longer 55mm stroke shock, so I cant compare and contrast.  I've read that you cant over stroke like was done on my bike, but everything looks ok at full compression.  The rocker arm gets within an 1/8" of the seatpost at full compression but its not worth worrying about.   

For shock setup, I have a rockshox deluxe ultimate shock with 3 spacers and 30-35% sag.  I havent had any pedal strike issues like on my 5010, but i also shortened my cranks.   To be honest, the rear end way out performs the front pike fork.  On my past bikes, I relied on a supple front end and dealt with the rear.  I dont want to add more weight to my bike...but I'm tempted to see if a Fox 36 would help turn the bike into an all out monster!  haha

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #27 - 08/01/19 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
James Banta wrote on 08/01/19 at 12:23pm:
...but I'm tempted to see if a Helm would help turn the bike into an all out monster!

Fixed it

IP Logged

Tinkertown
Coaster Bike

Reply #28 - 08/02/19 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Check out the Vorsprung Luftkappe. Totally worth it.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #29 - 08/02/19 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Mr.B wrote on 08/01/19 at 1:23pm:

Fixed it

+1

IP Logged

de49192

Reply #30 - 08/06/19 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Bike finally came in and the guys at Trek of North Charlotte built it up.  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) evil_build.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #31 - 08/08/19 at 3:11am
Print Post  
She’s a beauty!

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print