Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pisgah Enduro (Read 4498 times)
de49192

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Pisgah Enduro
05/06/19 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Anyone planning on riding in the Pisgah Enduro on June 1/2  or attended in the past ?   

-Dave

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

joelm

Re: Pisgah Enduro
Reply #1 - 05/15/19 at 1:59am
Print Post  
I'll be riding both days. This will be my first time and definitely looking forward to it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #2 - 05/15/19 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
de49192 wrote on 05/06/19 at 12:17pm:
Anyone planning on riding in the Pisgah Enduro on June 1/2  or attended in the past ?  

-Dave

Not sure if I'll make it this year, but I've done it three times and volunteered once.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

de49192

Reply #3 - 05/15/19 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
I haven't ridden any of the trails up there but was considering doing the Saturday event.  How technical/rough are the trails - is a Full Face needed ?   
If I end up doing it ill be riding a 150mm FS bike, and just wondering if that's enough bike for the trails and are the climbs on fireroad or singletrack or a mix ?
Will be my first enduro race so not sure what to expect - was going to try and do the Green River Games but had other plans take precedent

Any insight/advice is appreciated.

Thanks

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #4 - 05/16/19 at 11:22am
Print Post  
The trails on Saturday are less technical than Sunday.  Rattlesnake has some rocky open sections, Kitsuma has high speeds, and Star Gap has some tight switchbacks.  Full face?  I guess the level of protection is up to you.  Almost 100% of the trails are part of the ORAMM course where riders are out there in their racing underwears.

The climbs are mostly fireroads, but you will have some singletrack climbing as well.

Bike selection is all over the place, but 150mm should be plenty.

Manageable on a rigid bike anyways...

IP Logged

Skid Boot

Reply #5 - 05/16/19 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Are the climbs brutal?  I didn't see an elevation chart on their site.  I've always wanted to try an Enduro Race and have a 150mm travel bike.  So 20+ miles would be a lot for me if much of that is climbing, and I would probably say to myself that the race doesn't feel very Enduro in the middle of one of those climbs. 

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #6 - 05/16/19 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Skid Boot wrote on 05/16/19 at 1:26pm:
Are the climbs brutal?  I didn't see an elevation chart on their site.  I've always wanted to try an Enduro Race and have a 150mm travel bike.  So 20+ miles would be a lot for me if much of that is climbing, and I would probably say to myself that the race doesn't feel very Enduro in the middle of one of those climbs. 

If the climbs at URE and Rocky River give you trouble the climbs on the Enduro course will be rough. I wouldn't let that discourage you... I would guess climbing on day 1 is in the 3.5-4K' range but alot of that is taken up by the ride up Adventure trail to Stage 1 and Heartbreak to Stage 3 which many folks walk anyway.

You'll see all kinds of riders/bikes out there. Rigid SS's, Hardtails, XC, I think a guy even rode his DH bike one year. 150mm FS is perfect...

Its a really great event and even better time if you stay at Camp Grier, which I highly recommend.

I'll be at the start of the Kitsuma Stage both days giving out crisp High Fives... hope to see you there!

« Last Edit: 05/16/19 at 4:21pm by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

Skid Boot

Reply #7 - 05/16/19 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 05/16/19 at 4:20pm:

If the climbs at URE and Rocky River give you trouble the climbs on the Enduro course will be rough. I wouldn't let that discourage you... I would guess climbing on day 1 is in the 3.5-4K' range but alot of that is taken up by the ride up Adventure trail to Stage 1 and Heartbreak to Stage 3 which many folks walk anyway.

You'll see all kinds of riders/bikes out there. Rigid SS's, Hardtails, XC, I think a guy even rode his DH bike one year. 150mm FS is perfect...

Its a really great event and even better time if you stay at Camp Grier, which I highly recommend.

I'll be at the start of the Kitsuma Stage both days giving out crisp High Fives... hope to see you there!

Great information thank you!  The climbs at URE aren't bad and I have only ridden Rocky River once but it sounds like I somehow missed the tough stuff.  I won't be in it at a "race pace" but it sounds like a fun event worth trying.

IP Logged

de49192

Reply #8 - 05/17/19 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
What/where is URE ? I have ridden rocky river many times and am never happy about them but they are manageable.   
Still think im just going to shoot for 1 day

IP Logged

Skid Boot

Reply #9 - 05/17/19 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Uwharrie National Forest in Troy, NC.  It's a easy drive from here and it has the feel of riding in the mountains without climbs that are too steep and some fast rocky downhills that last for a handful of minutes.  So definitely worth checking out. There are really only two sections on the Keyauwee Trail that are tough climbs (at least for me) but overall there is nothing that would get a rider in over their head from a fitness or skill perspective assuming they aren't new riders.

IP Logged

Skid Boot

Reply #10 - 05/20/19 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Welp... I got one of my fingers with a hedge trimmer this weekend and ended up with stitches.  Probably a couple weeks before I can ride hard again.  I look forward to hearing the post race reports.

IP Logged

Zakaraia Hermes
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 05/21/19 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Wtf 

Post post evah

IP Logged

Zakaraia Hermes
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 05/21/19 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Pics?

IP Logged

Skid Boot

Reply #13 - 05/21/19 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Oh I can post it but it's pretty gross.  I will wait to see if there are any objections but basically its a cut on the top of my finger with the fat hanging out of it.  I got a picture after it was cleaned up but before it was stitched.  Hedge Trimmers chew you up (not a clean cut).  The lady at urgent care told me that they see more injuries from these than chainsaws, weed trimmers, mowers.  Not a huge deal at the end of the day but no death grip bombing down Pisgah for me.  I am going to ride an easy trail this weekend though.  May take my son to Mazeppa.  That's a perfect place for my singlespeed.  
« Last Edit: 05/21/19 at 1:08pm by Skid Boot »  

IP Logged

de49192

Reply #14 - 05/21/19 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
I am also on the fence about the Enduro,  in the process of selling my bike so I can get a new one and might be without a ride during that weekend, have also looked at getting a demo for that day, just not sure how good an idea it is to do a race on a bike I have never ridden

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Reply #15 - 05/22/19 at 2:55am
Print Post  
I'll be riding both days and staying at Camp Grier.  Was supposed to have someone coming with me, but I'll be by myself.  Definitely need to find some folks to group up with to make the climbs tolerable.

IP Logged

NC_Pyga
Coaster Bike

Reply #16 - 05/22/19 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
I did the Saturday last year. Was good fun but a big day on the bike. It also poured most of the day and I was in the middle of the pack so the trails got quite sloppy but the time I did my runs, especially Star Gap. Those switchbacks in the mud were fun.

Was hoping to do it again this year but on the fence at the moment as I haven't had much riding recently and not sure I'll be in good enough shape to complete it.

Tried the Green River Game Lands Enduro last weekend but had to DNF as I just couldn't do the climb / hike a bike in the heat and humidity and started to feel nauseous which is why I have reservations about doing the Pisgah Enduro. The only thing going for PE is that I know the trails and the climbs and they're not as bad as the GRG one. That GRG climb to stage 1 is one of the worst climbs I've tried on a bike  Shocked

If you're thinking about doing PE - just do it. It's a great day on the bike and a good vibe. Some fast buggers out there though.

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Reply #17 - 05/23/19 at 2:09am
Print Post  
Looks like it should be plenty hot.  I'm sure there will be some potential for pop-up storms, but I hope it doesn't get too sloppy.

I raced the Fire Mountain enduro a few weeks back and also raced the XC race the following day.  It was only about 15 miles on day 1 and 13 on day 2.  Pisgah will be double that so I'll definitely be going slow on the climbs so I make it to the end.

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Reply #18 - 05/29/19 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Anyone have any nutrition advice?  Trying to figure out what to bring and how much each day.  Second day is going to be much longer in the saddle and I want to be sure I make it to the end.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #19 - 05/29/19 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
msedly wrote on 05/29/19 at 12:21am:
Anyone have any nutrition advice?  Trying to figure out what to bring and how much each day.  Second day is going to be much longer in the saddle and I want to be sure I make it to the end.

I carry a few nabs crackers, a bag of dates/almonds/etc, and a Cajun filet biscuit. That covers me for 40 miles or less in Pisgah.

The REAL issue is hydration... Its gonna be HOT so plan accordingly. I use electrolyte tabs this time of year in every bottle. Drink more than you need and drink early and often. 

I even pre-hydrate for a week or so before big races like PMBAR, Monster CX, etc. 

The last few years they've had potable water at the Kitsuma picnic area after that stage but I would bring a packable filter like the Sawyer or MSR Trail shot just to be safe. 

There is a TON of water on course but you have to filter it. 

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print