Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Specialized Epic FSR Comp Carbon (Read 802 times)
mtnc
Little Ring

Specialized Epic FSR Comp Carbon
05/20/19 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
I'm looking at a very lightly used 2013 S. Epic FSR with a remote brain Fox shock. Just wondering if anybody here has experience with this or similar Specialized/Fox brain shocks, how well they work, reliability, etc. Any info would be appreciated. Thx

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 05/20/19 at 7:20pm by mtnc »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

fattirz
Little Ring
In The Loop

I'm not fat... I'm BIG
BONED!!!

Re: Specialized Epic FSR Comp Carbon
Reply #1 - 05/21/19 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
I have a brain on my '16 Specialized Camber... Love it!!!  Climbs like a hardtail and I never had any issues with it not opening up the 130mm of travel when I need it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Every ride is a good ride... some are just better than others!
YIM  
IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 05/24/19 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
I had a 2013 Epic Comp with the brain and now have a 2012 Epic S-works with the brain. I've had no problems with them and feel that they do what they're supposed to do very well. I really like them. If you get this bike you WILL like it (IMO).

That said, I had a shock blow out in 26 degree weather a couple of years ago on my 2012 (nothing to do with the brain), but because of the brain (and nitrogen fill) had to send it back to the factory to be rebuilt. It cost $200 I think and a month off of the bike. I was wishing that I'd looked into one of the aftermarket work-arounds that I've seen on the internet. It requires some custom made mounting hardware and a standard shock (a couple of shocks would work with the frame...I think a Fox DPS and a Rock Shox Monarch).

I'm kind of fed up with Specialized proprietary parts. This is my 3rd specialized bike and my daughter has one as well. I love the bikes and especially love Spec tires, but I think I will go another direction on my next bike.

More than you asked for, but my 2 cents.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

fattirz
Little Ring
In The Loop

I'm not fat... I'm BIG
BONED!!!

Reply #3 - 05/24/19 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Cherokee wrote on 05/24/19 at 6:04pm:
I had a 2013 Epic Comp with the brain and now have a 2012 Epic S-works with the brain. I've had no problems with them and feel that they do what they're supposed to do very well. I really like them. If you get this bike you WILL like it (IMO).

That said, I had a shock blow out in 26 degree weather a couple of years ago on my 2012 (nothing to do with the brain), but because of the brain (and nitrogen fill) had to send it back to the factory to be rebuilt. It cost $200 I think and a month off of the bike. I was wishing that I'd looked into one of the aftermarket work-arounds that I've seen on the internet. It requires some custom made mounting hardware and a standard shock (a couple of shocks would work with the frame...I think a Fox DPS and a Rock Shox Monarch).

I'm kind of fed up with Specialized proprietary parts. This is my 3rd specialized bike and my daughter has one as well. I love the bikes and especially love Spec tires, but I think I will go another direction on my next bike.

More than you asked for, but my 2 cents.

Just read a few days ago on Specialized website that they are going away from the proprietary parts because of their customers (like you and I) who want choices.  Great to see a manufacturer respond to a valid criticism.

"NO MORE PROPRIETARY BULLSH*T"  -Specialized

Read it for yourself right here... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Every ride is a good ride... some are just better than others!
YIM  
IP Logged

mtnc
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 05/26/19 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info.  I bought the bike.  Replaced the crappy brakes and took it to Sherman yesterday.  It's sweet!  Still in "shake down" mode, eventually I'll get it set up to my liking.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print