Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic 500% cassette range is silly... (Read 1051 times)
853stolen
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

500% cassette range is silly...
06/03/19 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Does anybody know if Sram 12sp mtb and road cassette have the same spacing?Another word, will their road cassette work with XD driver and mtb shifter? I understand I will prolly need a shorter derailleur.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"
Albert Einstein
YIM  
IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Re: 500% cassette range is silly...
Reply #1 - 06/03/19 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Not sure about the road cassette, but why not just go to 11 speed if you don't need the range? Why have the extra weight if you don't need it? 

I assume you already have a bike that came with Sram 12 speed? I do know that you can run a 12 speed derailleur with an 11 speed cassette and shifter. I've been doing it for over a year with no issues.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #2 - 06/03/19 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
I think the spacing is the same.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

853stolen
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #3 - 06/04/19 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Want to avoid having to buy new shifter and cassette.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"
Albert Einstein
YIM  
IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 06/04/19 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
853stolen wrote on 06/04/19 at 12:20am:
Want to avoid having to buy new shifter and cassette.

The way I read your original post, I assumed you were already considering buying a 12 speed road cassette and a derailleur. 

Does that mean you already have a spare 12 speed XD road cassette? If that's the case, try installing it and let us know if/how it works. 

Other than dropping unnecessary unsprung weight, I suppose switching to a Sram 11 speed cassette would essentially be no different than just adjusting your limit screw to block use of the 50t cog on a Sram 12 speed. 

Sorry, I realize i'm not answering your question. My input may be unwanted. But hey, it's the internet, and i'm bored. Feel free to ignore me.

I'm just curious what you're trying to accomplish. Drop weight? Smaller steps between gear ratios? While I agree a 500% cassette range is kinda silly for Charlotte (or even for the mountains if you're reasonably fit), you aren't actually required to use all the gears on any given ride. I don't ride road, but based on my (limited) understanding of road gearing, I would think the close ratios would not be well suited to trail riding.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #5 - 06/07/19 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Sram's 12 speed road cassettes need XDR drivers, which are a tad wider than the regular XD driver.  The biggest cog isn't large enough to make it over the slight wheel dish like the mountain cassettes.

Their road stuff also uses the newer flat top chain, which is not the same or compatible with the regular 12 speed mountain chains.  All the third party companies are making AXS versions of their chainrings as a result, sort of like how the new XTR 12 speed uses a slightly different chain.

If you want to run a hybrid 12 speed setup you can use road shifters/derailleurs with mountain cassestte/chain or road cassette/chain, but you can't mix their mountain cassette and road chain or vise versa.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print