Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic What about Rocky Branch Park in Belmont? (Read 766 times)
BJE
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

What about Rocky Branch Park in Belmont?
07/25/19 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
As many of you may have heard Rocky Branch is also looking at things we could do to improve the park.   

Would love to hear from those who have ridden RBP what they think of it (Good and bad). And for those that have not ridden (or hiked) RBP, why they haven't. 

Thanks in advance from your honest feedback.

Oh and in case you haven't heard, the eagle scout just finished his eagle project by building a changing room for us, so you don't have to change clothes in your car anymore.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

rotorbaru
Coaster Bike

Re: What about Rocky Branch Park in Belmont?
Reply #1 - 07/31/19 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
I rode Rocky Branch recently and really enjoyed it. It has a lot of fun technical features such as jumps, drops, berms and such (with bypasses). This is rare to find in most Clt trails and it is nice to have a trail like this in Charlotte. I suggest keeping it as is and continuing to develop it as a technical trail.

We have a lot of flow trails already or coming to Clt so I would not want to see this turn into that type of trail.

One improvement idea is to improve the signage on the trail as it is easy to get confused where you are on the trail and how to get back. You can't get really lost as it is a small area but it has a lot of loops that intersect.

Keep up the great work and thanks for such a fun trail.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

BJE
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 07/31/19 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback. Smiley

We are currently going thru the whole park and cleaning up some of the unnecessary intersections and re-signing the whole trail to make it much easier to navigate.  We are also in the process or making a new trail head map since the one that is currently posted is out of date.

Thanks again and keep enjoying the park.

IP Logged

James Banta
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 08/01/19 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
I rode Rocky Branch with rotorbaru for the first time this week as well.  Killer trail, that first mile or two of the trail is an absolute blast to ride.  You can tell someone spent some time planning since its easy to maintain speed.  Off shoots for more advanced riders etc...

On signage, I would agree that it needs some help for first timers.  We took all the black "offshoots" but it wasn't obvious that they connected back into the main trail.  I'm sure i'd make sense after a ride or two more, but clearer signage would be helpful.  Mainly around the open area off-shoots/fire roads.

Selfishly speaking, I'd like to see this trail stay way it is.  I wouldn't take my wife out there for a ride, but there are lots of options for her around Charlotte.  WWC, Springs greenway, Dixie River (hopefully soon) etc...  If they do add a machine built green section to draw in local new riders, i think it would be best suited as a loop around the perimeter of the property.  That way you can keep the fun stuff in the middle!

IP Logged

Trey L. Rider

Reply #4 - 08/01/19 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
I've just ridden a couple of times, but thought it was a really great trail with lots of variety and some fun little technical features. I'm glad to hear you are improving signage as I think it was easy to miss certain options. 
Otherwise keep up the good work. It is amazing you have such a great trail in a relatively small space. Very efficient use of the space. I'll be back soon.

IP Logged

gonzo
In The Loop

Reply #5 - 08/02/19 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
I feel like I'm echoing a few of the other previous posts, but the only thing I would change about RBP would be either better signage or a few reroutes to remove intersections to make the trail easier to follow.  I would prefer reroutes so that additional signs wouldn't be needed.  Less intersections=less signs and also would allow riders to keep their ride rolling instead of having to stop and check the sign or map to see where they are and which way they need to go to continue.  I know that the intersections were necessary due to the way that expansion sections were added after the main trail was cut and early reroutes were done, but I think that with a few reroutes, some of the intersections that seem confusing to riders/runners could be removed which would ease some of the confusion.  The trail has a lot of character and I wouldn't want to take that away from it.

I have reason to believe that the squirrels are mocking me.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print