Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Should I drink the Kool Aide? (Read 2998 times)
gilroy

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Should I drink the Kool Aide?
08/16/19 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Hi Everyone, long time lurker, first post.
All this talk about "new geometry" has me wanting a new bike. I'm an intermediate rider that's been on a Turner Czar for three years.I'm 6'-3",230lbs, 61yo, and a gym rat. I ride as hard as I can on Charlotte area trails about four hours a week. I rarely ride in the mountains and like to keep my tires on the ground (knee and hip replacement). I've been looking at the Ripley V4, SB100, and Trail429. It's almost impossible for me to find demos that are XL.
I know there are some skilled riders on this forum. Please help me make a good choice.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Re: Should I drink the Kool Aide?
Reply #1 - 08/16/19 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
I rode the 429 a few years ago at cyclofest and did not like it very much. I wound up getting a Jet rdo instead. Not sure if the current one is the same as that model though. 
For riding around Charlotte not sure you would reap all the benefits of the "modern geometry" but new bike days are always fun. N + 1

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

renoirbud
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 08/17/19 at 11:17am
Print Post  
The Czar is an amazing bike.

Put a Pike spaced down to 120mm on it and get the best wheels you can get.

E-Bikes = Trail Closures

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #3 - 08/17/19 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Chiming in with a different take on things.  Typically not one to jump on the marketing BS bandwagon; but I just sold my 16 Trek Fuel Ex and bought a 19 Evil Offering. While I absolutely loved my Trek I have found the new geometry to be the real deal. In my case I went with a more robust bike but it pedals and turns as well as a bike with a much more Trail / XC geometry. Beyond that, the slacker head angle and additional travel have made the local black trails much more accessible. Everything I have heard about the new Ridley and Pivot have indicated that they too share these attributes. Strongly recommend you give one a ride as I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

IP Logged

gilroy

Reply #4 - 08/17/19 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies everybody. I guess part of my dilemma stems from up-grade-itis. The Czar is a great bike but it does have a short wheel base and a steep HTA. I'm thinking one of these newer bikes could match its pedaling efficiency/comfort and make the downs less intimidating. If you could choose the perfect bike for the Charlotte area trails, what would it be.   

IP Logged

BeardofshMe
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 08/17/19 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
This is the perfect Charlotte area full suspension....

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

StevenA
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 08/18/19 at 1:58am
Print Post  
gilroy wrote on 08/17/19 at 3:40pm:
If you could choose the perfect bike for the Charlotte area trails, what would it be.

Everyone's bike will be different so here's mine.  My favorite jack of all trades, go anywhere bike is a mid travel (Stumpjumper) with 27.5+ tires.  It's a blast to ride on any trail from Florida to Pisgah.  

If my only bike was a 100mm XC bike then I would want to add (N+1) something totally different to the stable like the 130mm 429.  Of the bikes you listed, I've only ridden the 429 and it did great for me at Rocky Branch.  After I rode it, I actually started reading about the different suspensions because I could tell something was different than the FSR that I was accustomed to riding. It has a DW-link suspension like your Czar so there's that.  Hopefully you can find an x-large demo because that's really the only way to know.  It's also available in 27.5+.

I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey but then I turned myself around.

IP Logged

29ftw
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 08/19/19 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
I just picked up the ripley v4 and it's fantastic.  No test ride before buying as the closest Ibis shop is in Hickory and they had zero ripleys in stock.  The other bikes I was looking at were the tallboy (when they release the new one shortly, which is expected to have similar travel and geo to the ripley) and the pivot.  I hit the mtns as much as possible but wanted a great bike for our local trails as well and I think any of these bikes check the boxes.

Based on my research you might be better off on the pivot given your weight.  Its supposed to be a bit stiffer.

IP Logged

gilroy

Reply #8 - 08/19/19 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Thank you all for the replies.
Beard:The Revolver looks great. I didn't realize that Travis in Mooresville sells them. I'll have to stop by. 
StevenA: I'm hoping I can find something that is fun like the Stumpjumper but in 29" that has an efficient pedaling platform.
29ftw: The Ripply is getting rave reviews. What spec level did you get? Let me know how you like it on the local trails.

IP Logged

29ftw
Small Cog

Reply #9 - 08/19/19 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
I got a custom build sorta based on the NX level bike (drivetrain is NX/GX and suspension is base level but everything else is upgraded).  I would highly recommend the shop I used.  PM me if you'd like the details.  Love the bike thus far but haven't gotten it to the mtns yet.   

You might also check out the Giant trance which has similar progressive geo

IP Logged

Metalmok
Coaster Bike

I would rather ride than
work

Reply #10 - 08/19/19 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
I'm 6'5" and 250 to 300 (depending on the month) and there aren't any XL demos to be had in Charlotte. By watching manufacturers websites you can see when their demo fleets come through town. My current bike is a 2005 Giant Trance 4 and it has a really steep head angle and long stem so my weight is over the front a ton. Plus it has a 3x drivetrain, I put a dropper post on it and the downhills got much easier.

All of that being said, I tried an XL Pivot Switchblade 29" and it made me decide that the modern geometry is the real thing, it pedaled up great and it descended much easier and the 1X drivetrain was sooo much easier to use. I figured out that it really was about the bike and not as much about the rider, it is always about the rider but you know what I mean. I decided that a new bike would make riding much more enjoyable, it didn't even matter which one it was because my current bike is so terrible. I am still riding it but saving up for a new one.

I have decided to go with (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) because they will build the bike custom spec'd to my size, that was the main selling point for me, I am large and nothing fits, ever. So, I would say the new modern geometry is the real thing and technology has made the mountain bike sooo much better than it used to be...

Please consider the environment before you...

...play your Bluetooth speaker in the woods.

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 08/19/19 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
gilroy wrote on 08/16/19 at 9:51pm:
. I ride as hard as I can on Charlotte area trails about four hours a week.

If Strava times around Charlotte trails is your main focus, I'm not sure the new long and slack geo is really going to do much for you to make you that much faster.  Now, it'll make it a hell of a lot more fun...and isn't that what this sport is about.

If your budget allows, take a close look at that SB100 or the Ripley.

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #12 - 08/19/19 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Find a Yeti Demo and try their large - the SB 100 as you suggested. I'm 6'1" and I used to always favor an XL frame. I have a long upper torso, more than from the waist down so I need a big cockpit. But when I was sizing the SB4.5 3-4 years ago the President of Yeti (a friend) told me to definately get the Large, not the XL. He said his son is 6'3" and rides the large comfortably. I bought the Large SB 4.5 and it fits me well. My own upgrade-itis has me thinking about the SB100.

FWIW, it did take me a rather long time to get accustomed to the slack geometry. I previously rode an older Pivot 429.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

gilroy

Reply #13 - 08/19/19 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Fezzari has great prices and a 30 day no questions return policy. May have to put the Signal Peak on the short list. It seems to be harder for taller riders to get a good fitting bike as they are designed around the middle of the bell curve. The SB100 gets rave reviews also but my home trail is now Fisher Farm and my teeth are getting rattled out. I have the urge for a little more travel. Right now the Ripley is the front runner. I like the way they let you semi-custom build your bike and the price is reasonable for the XT spec.
« Last Edit: 08/19/19 at 9:28pm by gilroy »  

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #14 - 08/19/19 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Come up to Brevard and demo a SB100 from Sycamore at DuPont...that would tell you if it’s the one for you.

IP Logged

gilroy

Reply #15 - 11/08/19 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Well, it's been a busy month or two and I just wanted to bring this thread full circle.
I ended up getting an XL Ripley V4 with XT components. This bike is 90% amazing. Pedals well, very stable at speed, playful, light, rails turns just like the write-ups claim. My one complaint is numb hands. So far I've been playing with the cockpit (grips, stem, spacers, seat, etc.) to no avail. I think I'll try some high-rise bars next. I hope I can find a solution. Thanks for all the help.
PS: If you want to buy an Ibis bike PM me and I'll tell you where NOT to buy one.   

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #16 - 11/08/19 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
I have never been able to totally eliminate numb hands, road or mountain.  I think its just something cyclist have to accept to some degree for the amount of fun we get from riding.

IP Logged

29ftw
Small Cog

Reply #17 - 11/08/19 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
gilroy wrote on 11/08/19 at 5:18pm:
Well, it's been a busy month or two and I just wanted to bring this thread full circle.
I ended up getting an XL Ripley V4 with XT components. This bike is 90% amazing. Pedals well, very stable at speed, playful, light, rails turns just like the write-ups claim. My one complaint is numb hands. So far I've been playing with the cockpit (grips, stem, spacers, seat, etc.) to no avail. I think I'll try some high-rise bars next. I hope I can find a solution. Thanks for all the help.
PS: If you want to buy an Ibis bike PM me and I'll tell you where NOT to buy one.   

I'm with you on that one.  It's about 98% amazing absent the increased weight on hands.  It only bother me on trails like sherman with a lot of flat seated pedaling.  I have to remember to use a loose thumbs over the bar grip on terrain like this and it's much better.  I tried a higher bar and shorter stem and I didn't think it helped.  

I might still try a bar with more sweep than the Ibis bar.  I even thought about trying a pair of alt bars but all the ones I have are too narrow

ETA - I'm completely sold on the new geo and think the weight on hands is a small trade-off for the improvement in handling and pedaling efficiency

« Last Edit: 11/08/19 at 5:47pm by 29ftw »  

IP Logged

Coaster Bike

Reply #18 - 11/08/19 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
FWIW, excerpt from an old review of On One Mary bars, (which i currently use on my SS and love them).

Read the 1st review from DaveS29er:

Have a GREAT day!!!

IP Logged

29ftw
Small Cog

Reply #19 - 11/08/19 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
182 wrote on 11/08/19 at 7:04pm:
FWIW, excerpt from an old review of On One Mary bars, (which i currently use on my SS and love them).

Read the 1st review from DaveS29er:

Yep.. I ran the Ragley bars for many years.  I'd be interested to find a more modern version that's wider.  The SQ labs bar looks interesting:

IP Logged

Coaster Bike

Reply #20 - 11/08/19 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
another option if you have $$$

Have a GREAT day!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Print