Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Here They Come... (Read 9594 times)
Metalmok
Coaster Bike

I would rather ride than
work

Re: Here They Come...
Reply #20 - 09/04/19 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Please consider the environment before you...

...play your Bluetooth speaker in the woods.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #21 - 09/04/19 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
I've seen a number of e-bikes being ridden around on local area trails. And at a pace that's a good bit faster than the same rider on a conventional bike.

I've yet to see one being ridden by a guy that appeared to have a physical limitation.

Yet.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #22 - 09/05/19 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 09/04/19 at 5:07pm:

The only thing that you would have to work on that has to do with electric, is the battery

Because the motor is propelled by unicorn farts?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

zino
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #23 - 09/05/19 at 11:02am
Print Post  
The trend will probably get wings in a couple years...and we all will have them.  Amazing how these things go, humans are such social proof natured.  And of course nobody in their competitive ages can tolerate being left behind.
« Last Edit: 09/05/19 at 11:14am by zino »  

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #24 - 09/05/19 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 09/04/19 at 11:35pm:
I've seen a number of e-bikes being ridden around on local area trails. And at a pace that's a good bit faster than the same rider on a conventional bike.

I've yet to see one being ridden by a guy that appeared to have a physical limitation.

Yet.

I'm also curious, I believe 808 is one of the few that is disabled?  I have also yet to see ebikes being ridden by physically disabled or older riders.  It's almost always moto guys.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #25 - 09/05/19 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 09/05/19 at 12:40pm:

I'm also curious, I believe 808 is one of the few that is disabled?  I have also yet to see ebikes being ridden by physically disabled or older riders.  It's almost always moto guys.

I have absolutely no problem with 808 riding his scooter, safely..

I'm not the fastest rider on the trail. I pass sometimes, sometimes I get passed. Even by  pro girls on race bikes..  Smiley
I don't get all butt hurt about it.
I ride at a safe speed depending on the conditions, the visibility and the trail. I'm out there for fitness. Not foolish enough to think I'm going to set any world records.

I've had plenty of close calls while riding, but I've never been hurt and don't have any hardware in my body if you know what I mean. Knock on wood.

I've seen a lot of things on trails in my many miles. I've seen broken arms, guys laying in heaps in the middle of the trail with concussions, etc..
In a one week period out at Springs, there was a broken leg and separated shoulder due to collisions. Nothing fun about seeing that.
I've also seen overly competitive types whose ego just couldn't handle it if they weren't the fastest guy on the trail.

In my opinion and since some appear to lack good judgment on mixed use and sometimes bi-directional trails, anything that increases the speed of such knuckleheads is potentially a can of worms waiting to happen. Not just for them. But for other trail users as well.

Motors on 40lb. bikes, on tight trails with limited visibility? That's a bridge too far in my opinion. I don't like learning lessons the hard way. Mountain biking is dangerous enough already. It's strenuous and supposed to be for a reason. It keeps the pretenders and those that lack the fitness to control the bike on the porch, or their speed limited by their ability to pedal the bike the old fashioned way.

Clearly, that doesn't apply to every trail and every situation. And e-bikes certainly make great commuters, etc.

Now, I know saying all that isn't going to make some people happy. 
But that's just the truth.

« Last Edit: 09/05/19 at 1:35pm by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

ToddM

Reply #26 - 09/05/19 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 09/05/19 at 1:20pm:

But that's just the truth.

That's your truth though. We all have different opinions and we all honestly enjoy a good argument. In the spirit of argument I believe it's likely that most people that truly hate the idea probably haven't ridden one.  Doesn't the trail layout really dictate the speed one can achieve? I can get behind the argument that increasing the speed people are able to climb could cause some accidents on bi-directional trails but at the same time I really think this stuff is overblown. We are living in a very bubble wrapped society these days. I see allowing e-bikes as a step in the right direction to allow those that are seeking enjoyment in the great out doors more options. Can we maybe agree that some of the arguments against them come off as a little elitist? I cringe when I see the "I xyz on my normal bike, therefore others should as well". How about we take step back and look at things from others perspective? This is a huge problem we have in politics and most walks of life these days. 

Access = growing the sport and building a larger community. How is that bad? I don't own an ebike and the cost alone will be a hurdle for me but I'd love to have that option in the garage for days where I want to see more of the trail or need to recover, etc. I ride for fun and they look like a blast. I'd really love one up in Pisgah because those climbs can be brutal even when I've been training pretty regularly but I know that's probably fairly far off until they break into the nation forests. 

Finally, Can someone tell me which local trails are e-bike approved? I know Lake Norman State Park and USNWC allow them. Any others? I've only ever came across an e-biker on the trail once and that was at Fisher Farm. He was going no faster than any of the other riders and the only way I could tell he was on an ebike was due to the large battery compartment and overhearing his friends playfully nagging him about how he should be blowing them away.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #27 - 09/05/19 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
ToddM wrote on 09/05/19 at 2:05pm:

Finally, Can someone tell me which local trails are e-bike approved? I know Lake Norman State Park and USNWC allow them. Any others?

Rocky River trail up near Concord.

You need to check it out. Privately owned and one of the best in the area. Completely directional and not much foot traffic.

Well, let me just say.. If you've never test rode an ebike, you wont believe it..
I like to say, it's sort of like sawing your legs off and replacing them with the legs of Lance Armstrong in his prime. On a 40 lb. bike that's harder to control. 

Like I said, they can be ridden safely. So, can a Honda 250. But considering that's not the case currently with pedal only bikes, then I think its safe to assume that a certain percentage of riders will try to use them to their very high potential.. Just because it's fun. That means increased trails speeds and decreased reaction times.

If it's got a motor, it's a different breed.
I don't see any reason to change the rules, especially on bi-directional and poorly marked trails. It's already a butt puckering experience. 
And I just don't see many 70 year old tourists with cameras riding them around these parts.
« Last Edit: 09/05/19 at 2:46pm by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

ToddM

Reply #28 - 09/05/19 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 09/05/19 at 2:08pm:

If it's got a motor, it's a different breed.
I don't see any reason to change the rules, especially on bi-directional and poorly marked trails. 

The motor does make things tricky because people love to bend the rules. There will definitely be those that tweak the bikes to go over the 20mph limit. I never actually had an opinion on them until I saw a super fit dude at USNWC riding one just through the common area. That sorta broke the mold of who I thought would be buying them. I always pictured a overweight rich kid that would likely lose interest fairly quickly anyways. Also, I assume USNWC is the most high use trail we have in our area. It would be interesting to know if they've seen any increase in accidents. I'd guess that they haven't but that's probably because e-bikes are just now really gaining momentum and aren't on the trails as much as they will be in the coming years. I guess I'd like to see us air on the side of acceptance and then wrangle it back in if there are problems. 

I've heard good things about Rocky River. I'll definitely put it on my short list to visit! 

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #29 - 09/05/19 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Hey Banjo, the Folks I know who have e-bikes. Ride mostly at Pisgah and Dupont. So they must not be highly regulated.

GTalk  
IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #30 - 09/06/19 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 09/05/19 at 7:37pm:
Hey Banjo, the Folks I know who have e-bikes. Ride mostly at Pisgah and Dupont. So they must not be highly regulated.

No, your friends are just breaking the law/rules... see point 1 of why traditional mountain bikers fear more and more use of ebikes (them breaking rules and getting all bikers kicked out).

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #31 - 09/06/19 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Silly rules. Ride in a responsible manner and enjoy. That’s what riding is all about.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #32 - 09/07/19 at 2:53am
Print Post  
808golden wrote on 09/06/19 at 10:21pm:
Silly rules. Ride in a responsible manner and enjoy. That’s what riding is all about.

Silly rules?

Does that apply to 4-wheelers and dirt bikes too?

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #33 - 09/07/19 at 11:45am
Print Post  
You my good man, are humorless tool. I'm sure you're good for something...is Professional Troll a real thing?

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #34 - 09/07/19 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
808golden wrote on 09/07/19 at 11:45am:
You my good man, are humorless tool. I'm sure you're good for something...is Professional Troll a real thing?

Roll Eyes

Let me guess.. The silly rules only apply to everybody else.

Not you and your friends.

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #35 - 09/07/19 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
808golden wrote on 09/06/19 at 10:21pm:

Refer to previous post plz. Oh, and get back under your bridge Sir Troll.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #36 - 09/07/19 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
So, listen up everybody..

According to 808golden..

'Silly rules' are only for those that ride conventional pedal only bicycles.
Not e-bikes and other motorized contraptions.

Remember that next time you're on the road/trail.

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #37 - 09/08/19 at 3:15am
Print Post  
"So listen up everybody..."  Herr ITBush is putting words in my (now Trumpie?) mouth.  Why not quote the part about riding responsibly? Oh, that's because SOMEBODY can't handle change.   I hate to say, it but one cure for being a bitter troll is to go out and have a really good time. Pedal bikes are waaay fun, and so are ebikes. Don't worry, you'll come around. "We all float down here..." Silly movie quotes...

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #38 - 09/08/19 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 09/04/19 at 1:16am:

Also noted that the definition you provided, lists mopeds as having gasoline engine's.Car drivers state one of the reasons they don't like e,-cars, is the lack of power. Sure, maybe some e-bikes can get speeds up to 40mph. But your wasting energy, so most e-bike riders would rather use light pedal assist. Then to have to pedal a heavy bike after using all the power

GTalk  
IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #39 - 09/08/19 at 9:54am
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 09/06/19 at 12:17pm:

No, your friends are just breaking the law/rules... see point 1 of why traditional mountain bikers fear more and more use of ebikes (them breaking rules and getting all bikers kicked out).

We live in a society were it seems rules being broken are the rule. Just drive your car on the local highways. I don't even understand why the auto makers put turn signal lever's in cars. And signaling is a written traffic law. At club meetings and on forums, I've heard talk about access. But I never see any point their finger at their riding buddy for riding an e-bike. Isn't he ruining it all for you. So are regular cyclist's going to start booby trapping trails for e-bikes. Yet another user group to add to the fold.
« Last Edit: 09/08/19 at 9:55am by Impaler 58 »  
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Print