Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hydration Pack Reccomendations (Read 3361 times)
de49192

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Hydration Pack Reccomendations
09/19/19 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Looking at getting a larger Pack to carry water,food,and some gear for longer rides  without being overly bulky and doesn't move around much  - Currently have a Camelbak Velocity 70 oz - 
Any recommendations are appreciated

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

gonzo
In The Loop

Re: Hydration Pack Reccomendations
Reply #1 - 09/19/19 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
if looking at a larger water reservoir for mountain riding, I would suggest getting a filter instead.  there are plenty of places to get water trail side up in the mountains and the filter weighs a lot less than carrying all the water you need for a big day in the hills.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

I have reason to believe that the squirrels are mocking me.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 09/20/19 at 12:25am
Print Post  
gonzo wrote on 09/19/19 at 10:54pm:
if looking at a larger water reservoir for mountain riding, I would suggest getting a filter instead.  there are plenty of places to get water trail side up in the mountains and the filter weighs a lot less than carrying all the water you need for a big day in the hills.

Filtered water still tastes funny. Best larger pack I've used is the Osprey Raptor (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

GTalk  
IP Logged

fattirz
Little Ring
In The Loop

I'm not fat... I'm BIG
BONED!!!

Reply #3 - 09/20/19 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
My full day ride hydration pack is the Camelback Mule.  Not huge, but plenty of room for extended days on the trail.

Every ride is a good ride... some are just better than others!
YIM  
IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 09/20/19 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 09/20/19 at 12:25am:

Filtered water still tastes funny.

I disagree, I carry a Sawyer filter with me in the mountains and only put 50oz in my 100oz bladder.  When I ride Dupont, I carry a single bottle and a filter.  Keeps it light and doesn't weigh you down when doing a monster ride in the mountains.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 09/20/19 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Mr.B wrote on 09/20/19 at 1:23pm:

I disagree, I carry a Sawyer filter with me in the mountains and only put 50oz in my 100oz bladder.  When I ride Dupont, I carry a single bottle and a filter.  Keeps it light and doesn't weigh you down when doing a monster ride in the mountains.

This.  Filters are the way to go and the Sawyers are awesome.  I think Charlotte tap water tastes funny compared to mountain creeks and rivers...   YMMV

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #6 - 09/20/19 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Yep +1 on carrying a filter and less water

I've been packless going on 4 years now even in the mountains.

I carry a fanny pack if I'm going the distance and need more food, jacket, etc. Otherwise its SWAT bibs and a filter.

Switched over to the MSR Trailshot filter. A little easier to use and no risk of having your sawyer pouch fail on you (happened twice to me).

Either way there are plenty of rad little pack-able filters out there.

Ditch the backpack too if you can. SOOOO much nicer riding with your shoulders free and your back not sopping sweaty.

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 09/24/19 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Where do you source the water to be filtered?

GTalk  
IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #8 - 09/24/19 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 09/24/19 at 8:47am:

Mountain streams, creeks, and rivers. I think the majority of us that use filters only use them in the mountains.  I don't really see how you could go on a long enough ride in Charlotte to require more than a bottle, maybe 2...and if you are, you are almost certainly passing by some type of water source, municipal or otherwise, where you could refill.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 09/24/19 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
It just sorta grosses me out to know I would be getting water from a stream where someone had just relieved themselves. Or had gone swimming 🏊in. But then again, I'm not part of the group that does thru hiking or doing 12 hour rides in the forest.

GTalk  
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 09/25/19 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 09/24/19 at 8:47am:

Upstream from where you go potty, bathe, and wash your dishes..  Smiley

IP Logged

Zakaraia Hermes
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 09/25/19 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 09/24/19 at 4:22pm:
It just sorta grosses me out to know I would be getting water from a stream where someone had just relieved themselves. Or had gone swimming 🏊in. But then again, I'm not part of the group that does thru hiking or doing 12 hour rides in the forest.

All the water you get out of your tap is your pi  . filtered albeit a much fancier filter than a sawyer

Mountian water ftw packs are for desert riding and bad backs

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #12 - 09/25/19 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 09/25/19 at 1:23am:

Upstream from where you go potty, bathe, and wash your dishes..  Smiley

Swimming in rivers, etc is fine but you shouldn't bathe (with soap), or wash dishes, and definitely not use the bathroom in water sources. 

You can learn more about proper back country etiquette here: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #13 - 09/25/19 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Another strong vote for Sawyer filter. Hip pack is all i carry for very long days in the woods, can fit enough food and a filter in a 2L dakine, or larger Camelbac hip pack. Far more comfortable, and mountain water tastes significantly better. Also carry a tube of Nuun tabs and youll have energy/flavor (depending with or without caffeine) in case you are the rare type that doesnt like mtn water (never actually heard anyone complain yet about the taste)...

Gave up the "big pack" idea years ago and would not go back (as mentioned, desert riding may be necessary). Esp riding anywhere in western NC, its hard NOT to find water...

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #14 - 09/25/19 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 09/24/19 at 4:22pm:

Horses sh!t on the trail, bears sh!t in the woods (and me)  and in 10+ years riding western NC Ive yet to see someone relieve themselves in the creeks...and esp in the spots that we find for water, generally havent seen a human within miles/hours...

(Not an anti-horse post, just fact. Horses are cool)

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 09/25/19 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 09/25/19 at 1:23pm:

Swimming in rivers, etc is fine but you shouldn't bathe (with soap), or wash dishes, and definitely not use the bathroom in water sources. 

You can learn more about proper back country etiquette here: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

It was a joke.. 

I guess you've never taken an ASVAB (armed services vocational aptitude battery).

That used to be one of the questions..

I should have phrased it differently.. you should always draw water upstream from any obvious human or animal activity. Human activity also includes viruses that most water filters are ineffective against.

In the bush, survival trumps proper back country etiquette every time.  Smiley
All surface water sources should be considered to be contaminated with microbes that can make you very sick. Mostly from animals that have absolutely no problem with doing their business wherever they happen to be.

« Last Edit: 09/26/19 at 12:13am by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #16 - 09/25/19 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
hudsontp wrote on 09/25/19 at 3:09pm:

... in 10+ years riding western NC Ive yet to see someone relieve themselves in the creeks...and esp in the spots that we find for water,

Hold muh beer...

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #17 - 09/25/19 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
teamdicky wrote on 09/25/19 at 8:11pm:

Hold muh beer...

At your age, not sure youd make it to the crik!

IP Logged

29ftw
Small Cog

Reply #18 - 09/26/19 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 09/20/19 at 9:07pm:
Yep +1 on carrying a filter and less water

I've been packless going on 4 years now even in the mountains.

I carry a fanny pack if I'm going the distance and need more food, jacket, etc. Otherwise its SWAT bibs and a filter.

Switched over to the MSR Trailshot filter. A little easier to use and no risk of having your sawyer pouch fail on you (happened twice to me).

Either way there are plenty of rad little pack-able filters out there.

Ditch the backpack too if you can. SOOOO much nicer riding with your shoulders free and your back not sopping sweaty.

Thanks for the heads up on the MSR..  I've been using a sawyer for years and a traditional MSR pump filter before that but the smaller MSR looks awesome.  I use the Osprey Savu hip pack which holds two bottles and plenty of first aid, tools, food, etc..

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #19 - 09/29/19 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
teamdicky wrote on 09/25/19 at 8:11pm:

Hold muh beer...

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print