Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) USNWC Vicious (Read 4929 times)
eking7
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

USNWC Vicious
10/14/19 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
roll call for this 12 hour race at USNWC?

I have not entered yet.  Like to enter as a two person team, all my usual ride buddies are "busy".  will ride solo as a last resort.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Re: USNWC Vicious
Reply #1 - 10/14/19 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Pretty sure I'll be in for solo.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Deo Volente
IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #2 - 10/15/19 at 2:38am
Print Post  
I was planning on doing it until I hurt my thumb with a small tear in my ulnar collateral ligament of my metacarpophalangeal.

Bummed would have been fun. Interesting concept of how it will be raced for sure.

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Reply #3 - 10/21/19 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Anyone have any intel on the course options?

USNWC site only says: " Points are earned by riding specified courses weighted on difficulty, elevation gain, and distance, meaning the harder the course, the higher the point average."

Specifically wondering if all trails will be an option and how they track racers.

Deo Volente
IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 10/22/19 at 2:42am
Print Post  
I have been wondering the same thing about how they will score or keep track of what sections are ridden. I was also curious about the team format and if more than one person could be out on course at the same time. That would be fun and make the challenge that much more difficult to determine where you stood in the standings throughout out the day. All dependent on how they track segments. Seeing as it is segments and not total time or mileage. Either way I am still out with an injury, so hopefully everything goes well and they put it on again next year.

ciao
Santana

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #5 - 10/22/19 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
The race concept sounds fun enough, but I don't know if I could talk a few people into joining with me.  Being on a team seems like it would be more fun than solo for sure.

You could just throw $75 at it and find out how they manage to marshal the event.  For that kinda money, I'd like a little less ambiguity myself.

Nine days out from the registration closing and there's still this on their site:
« Last Edit: 10/22/19 at 3:22pm by teamdicky »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Capture_016.JPG (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

eking7
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 10/23/19 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Ride buddy came through!  See everyone there.

I agree, the format sounds fun but would like to know more.

Maybe they are holding the details back until race day so we can't test our strategies.

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #7 - 10/25/19 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Or they are going to half ass it and then wonder why the mtb races are not successful. Is participation lacking because of poor planning and limited timely details, or do you poorly plan and provided limited details because you only get limited participation? Its a Vicious Cycle!

Also, $75/person for a place where i can ride all the things any night of the week for an $8 beer, I'm going to Pisgah instead

I'm glad that this is an environment where you feel free to fail.

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #8 - 10/25/19 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Wears my bike wrote on 10/25/19 at 3:33pm:
Or they are going to half ass it and then wonder why the mtb races are not successful. Is participation lacking because of poor planning and limited timely details, or do you poorly plan and provided limited details because you only get limited participation? Its a Vicious Cycle!

Also, $75/person for a place where i can ride all the things any night of the week for an $8 beer, I'm going to Pisgah instead

So you'll be my teammate?

We just need two more now.

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #9 - 10/26/19 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Pisgah...cheaper and more fun

IP Logged

BeardofshMe
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 10/27/19 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Somehow my Pisgah trips cost money....Must be the gas and the lunch I buy afterwards

IP Logged

eking7
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 10/28/19 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
me I like the chance to go do an event on the trails I ride the most

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #12 - 10/28/19 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Course maps are up.  Break out your STRAVA and a calculator.

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Reply #13 - 10/29/19 at 2:26am
Print Post  
Seems like a no brainer, just do 10 laps of the East Main trail and get 120. I bet someone will get 12 in and crack the 144 mark. Not gonna be me but maybe next year.

ciao
Santana

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #14 - 10/29/19 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
santana wrote on 10/29/19 at 2:26am:
Seems like a no brainer, just do 10 laps of the East Main trail and get 120. I bet someone will get 12 in and crack the 144 mark. Not gonna be me but maybe next year.

ciao
Santana

As someone who rides USNWC less than ten times a year (and closer to five), I'll give my (non)-expert opinion.

I'd hit the South Loop.  Seems like less painful elevation gain and speed scrubbing.  I think initially I could knock out East faster than two Souths, but not halfway through the day and beyond.

Guess that's the game... that I won't be playing.  Made plans already to head to the hills while we were waiting for race deets. 

IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Reply #15 - 10/30/19 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
santana wrote on 10/29/19 at 2:26am:
...just do 10 laps of the East Main trail...

You make it sound easy.  Smiley

I think I will start with East Main loop until I can't take anymore and then switch to Thread trail.  Both of those trails have less pedestrian traffic than the other options.

Deo Volente
IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #16 - 10/30/19 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
I'm not doing this event, but just from the game play side of it, but would be rather funny to see who could do the most lake loops Tongue

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #17 - 11/01/19 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Too bad they waited until 2 days prior to upload the remainder of the event details, as it actually looks fun. But i am betting it will be poorly attended given people make race plans way in advance and will continue their internal narrative of MTB races not being successful at wwc

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #18 - 11/01/19 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Wears my bike wrote on 11/01/19 at 10:58am:
But i am betting it will be poorly attended given people make race plans way in advance and will continue their internal narrative of MTB races not being successful at wwc

I'd argue that The Whole Enchilada is a well run, reasonably priced, decently attended event.  I still see some room for improvement, but I'm very likely to do it again in 2020.

How about that?  I made a positive comment in this thread.

*pats self on back*
« Last Edit: 11/01/19 at 11:23am by teamdicky »  

IP Logged

hyper
Small Cog

High Roller In Training

Reply #19 - 11/03/19 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
I did it solo yesterday.  Pretty well run.  The checkpoint thing worked out pretty well.  Only the first lap did I wait more than 10 seconds to punch a card.  Certain Trails were wet but thats not the WWC fault.  There was defiantly strategy involved with this.  Go big on the points on east main, or try the shorter stuff more often.

Lunch was ok.  Seemed a bit fancy for my taste, but thats just a personal preference.

Only thing I could see them doing better would have been a gear drop off/pick up.

Getting there at 630 in the morning and having to walk your stuff a quarter mile to the venue to  set up camp was far considering all the gear that bikers bring compared to a runner.  It is what probably caused the late start in my opinion.

Patrick
2018 Rocky Mountain Element
2012 Marin Nail 29er
2019 Giant Revole

http://spacecowboy11.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print