Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Winter Solstice Night Ride (Read 1551 times)
markb

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Winter Solstice Night Ride
10/25/19 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Any interest in doing a winter solstice ride? Sunset to sunrise on the longest night if the year. Probably at the WWC if conditions are right. Could be a blast?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Re: Winter Solstice Night Ride
Reply #1 - 12/05/19 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
So that would be Saturday, December 21st.  I'm guessing we would need to get an OK from the USNWC folks to do an overnight ride???

Anyone else interested??

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Deo Volente
IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #2 - 12/05/19 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
I thought the longest night of the year was the summer solstice? I'm thinking it would be the shortest night. I sure hope it's warmer there than it is here- 22 degrees and snow everywhere.

IP Logged

Solar
Little Ring

I can ride my bike with
no handle bars

Reply #3 - 12/05/19 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
BigBikeMike wrote on 12/05/19 at 4:37pm:
I thought the longest night of the year was the summer solstice? I'm thinking it would be the shortest night. I sure hope it's warmer there than it is here- 22 degrees and snow everywhere.

I'm no expert, but I believe you're getting them backwards Mike, the summer solstice is the longest day (or the day with the most sun exposure) of the year, whereas the winter solstice is the opposite giving us the shortest amount of daylight and therefore the longest span of darkness in a day.   

Regardless, I plan to sleep that night and for that reason, I'm out.

I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds.
IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Reply #4 - 12/05/19 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
So, I sent an email to USNWC.  Initially they seem to be OK: "As you may know, we’re comfortable with folks coming out to ride at just about any time, assuming they’re appropriately equipped..."

Standby for further details...

Deo Volente
IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Reply #5 - 12/05/19 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Looks like a go: "If it’s going to be fairly low key, I don’t see an issue. The only other thing I have to mention is that per our ABC permit we don’t allow any outside alcohol, which applies outside of our business hours as well. "

Low key and beer free...  Who's in?

Deo Volente
IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #6 - 12/22/19 at 4:20am
Print Post  
How are you going to keep your lights running all night?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print