Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic New To Riding At Night – A Couple Questions? (Read 1149 times)
jebfour

New To Riding At Night – A Couple Questions?
10/31/19 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Now that I’ve started riding again, I don’t want to stop when it’s dark after work, which of course means riding at night. I have a Bontrager Ion RT Pro that I was planning on using on my helmet and was thinking about something like a NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800n for the bars. Not enough? Too much? Suggestions?

The three trails I usually ride at are Beatty, Ballantyne and Purser-Hulsey. I thought that Beatty closed the gates at night but saw another post saying they are having Wednesday night rides. How about Ballantyne and Purser-Hulsey?

Obviously, I have no idea what I’m getting myself into but any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: 10/31/19 at 6:05pm by jebfour »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: New To Riding At Night – A Couple Questions?
Reply #1 - 10/31/19 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I rode with the infamous ShartLight around Charlotte trails for years.

Helmet only and 1000 lumens max. That was plenty.

Up in the Mountains or places with longer, faster, and more technical downhill its nice having more lumens and multiple lights since you often out run a more dim light quickly.

I would say a 1000+ lumen helmet light is all you need but its really personal preference.

« Last Edit: 10/31/19 at 9:04pm by Banjopickin »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 10/31/19 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
You've got plenty enough light.  Back in the day we used to ride with 2 halogen trail rats that were maybe 300 lumens each.
For me right rides are a totally different mindset.  Forget about your times or average speed and such and just enjoy the ride.  They are much more fun as a group because the more lights the more fun and there can be a sort of "were in it together" vibe instead of just going fast.

As I understand Beatty has given the OK for the one night a week organized ride only. I'm on your side of town too and I'll probably join that Beatty ride a few times to support it but my schedule is more "after work" such as a 5:15 to 6:30 ride time.  7:00 start times are too late for me as I could get a ride in and be home by that time 7:00.  I'm looking at Purser and RRT on that schedule.   I suppose I need to check out Ballentine sometime if its going to OK night rides but 485 traffic has gotten more silly with that construction happening.

IP Logged

jebfour

Reply #3 - 11/01/19 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks to both for replying. Nice to know I’m good to go with what I already have!

7:00 is a bit late for me too as I’m more of a ‘ride right after work’ guy myself but I want to give this a try. Getting to Ballantyne right after work would be a nightmare. So, it may make more sense to wait a bit and then ride later if it is allowed. I plan on having a family ride there in the morning (if dry enough) so I’ll ask around if I see anyone else…unless someone here knows if it is allowed/not allowed?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print