Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Mezeppa trail (Read 609 times)
Impaler 58
Big Ring

Mezeppa trail
03/17/20 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Was the Mezeppa trail actually built as a family trail. The other day, I saw a woman at the trailhead with a step through Electra Townie with two young children on strider bikes. I noticed gravel where some wet spots used to be.
« Last Edit: 03/18/20 at 8:34am by Impaler 58 »  
GTalk  
IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Re: Mezeppa trail
Reply #1 - 03/17/20 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
What up man!  Do yo live in Mooresville?  Forgive if we know each other already, I can't keep up with everyone's forum name.  

Lots of good stuff going on at Mazeppa.  I'll take this as an opportunity to share some of the short/long term projects that are happening at the park.  Jamie Haessly is the TC, and I (Will Washam) have been working with Jamie, Jim Horton (the trail builder who built the Mazeppa) and the Town's Park's and Rec director so we're all on a good page about trail maintenance, and trail improvements going forward.

The Town of Mooresville built the main line Mazeppa trail to be a beginner mtb trail.  There are regularly folks with kids on striders out there and it's pretty rad.  It's also rad that the town has taken ownership of providing mtb trails with their own dime/staff resources.  That is super rare in our area and I believe Mooresville is the only land manager that has independently developed mtb trails within the THTB's system of trails we maintain.  THTB didn't even have to convince the town that trails were something the town needed, local tourism staff (happened to be an mtb rider) and the town parks and rec director (happens to have SORBA training) got together to make this trail happen.  I'm super proud to be a Mooresville resident with my town taking on projects like this.

As a teaser, the town is interested in making more investments in mtb amenities at Mazeppa.  Mainly because of the success they have seen with this beginner level trail and how many families are enjoying it.  Hopefully more to come there...

The THTB have been assessing how the trail has worn in over it's first year and we've been working with Jim Horton on hardening up areas of the trail that are suffering from ground water seeps.  If you ride here much you've noticed there are quite a few areas that have ground water seeps that are keeping trail sections wet much longer than other trails in the area.

To combat this, our strategy is to work on hardening seep areas with rock armoring, paver blocks, and gravel so that the trail can be opened up sooner after wet weather times.  We're starting on the side of the loop closest to the soccer fields (everything on the soccer side of the GoPro service rd that cuts the trail in half) and eventually working our way to the back of the loop near the farm field that has the worst seeps.  Our big group workday a few weeks ago (thanks all that came) got about 80% of the seep spots on the trail closer to the soccer fields.  We also put in a new short loop connector that will allow the trails closer to the soccer field to open up sooner after rain events so we can ride while the stuff in the back that is getting hammered by these seeps dries out.  Over the next year we hope to armor up all the seep spots on the entire main loop so this trail is ready to rip most of the time.  

That's the main gist of whats going.  A big thanks to the Town of Mooresville for being proactive about providing biking recreation opportunities.  If you're a resident of Mooresville let you mayor, and council people know we appreciate it!

-Wil

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Re: Mezeppa trail
Reply #2 - 03/17/20 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 03/17/20 at 4:37pm:
Was the Mezeppa trail actually built as a family trail. The other day, I saw a woman at the trailhead with a step through Electra Townie with two young children on strider bikes. I noticed gravel where some wet spots used to be. When does the paving begin 😏

Thanks for the tip..

I'll have to check it out.  Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print