Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Whats up at Sherman? (Read 3323 times)
bdotson
Coaster Bike

Whats up at Sherman?
03/23/20 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Curious why Roller Coaster is closed?

2020 Kona Mahuna Singlespeed (Yes, I am a dinosaur. Affirmative)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: Whats up at Sherman?
Reply #1 - 03/23/20 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
bdotson wrote on 03/23/20 at 2:51pm:
Curious why Roller Coaster is closed?

Simple answer is Because it is not drying out, and gets ridden when it was marginal.  Plan on it being closed for a extended time so it can catch up with rest of trail. Please respect the closure of this small section. The option would be complete trail closure.
« Last Edit: 03/23/20 at 3:20pm by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Metalmok
Coaster Bike

I would rather ride than
work

Reply #2 - 03/23/20 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
This is a great idea, closing only roller coaster instead of the whole trail.

Please consider the environment before you...

...play your Bluetooth speaker in the woods.

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 03/24/20 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 03/23/20 at 3:18pm:

Simple answer is Because it is not drying out, and gets ridden when it was marginal.  Plan on it being closed for a extended time so it can catch up with rest of trail. Please respect the closure of this small section. The option would be complete trail closure.

How long are you thinking? Do we want to communicate that w/ the larger community? (facebook, newsletter, etc?)

IP Logged

bdotson
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 03/24/20 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Metalmok wrote on 03/23/20 at 11:43pm:
This is a great idea, closing only roller coaster instead of the whole trail.

Yes, agreed! Creative solution to keep things rolling while simultaneously stewarding the trail! You guys are great!!! Appreciate TBs!

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #5 - 03/27/20 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Preaching to the choir here but saw a few people out on RC today while out riding. IDK if there is anyway to make it any more impassible but people are dumb. LOL

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #6 - 03/27/20 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
THats not a easy gate to get around.

Always some asshat that thinks they are special or feel they are not getting something they should. But at least they post it on Stave.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

THanks to to the majority that "Get It"

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #7 - 03/28/20 at 3:53am
Print Post  
Awe give that guy a break. It took him 1:21:34 to ride 9.79 miles. He aint going fast enough to do any damage or perhaps his E-bike battery was dead.

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

Metalmok
Coaster Bike

I would rather ride than
work

Reply #8 - 03/29/20 at 12:23am
Print Post  
santana wrote on 03/28/20 at 3:53am:
Awe give that guy a break. It took him 1:21:34 to ride 9.79 miles. He aint going fast enough to do any damage or perhaps his E-bike battery was dead.

ciao
Santana

HAHAHAHAHA

Please consider the environment before you...

...play your Bluetooth speaker in the woods.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #9 - 03/31/20 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Guys like that are why we will be a third-world country by the end of the decade.  The entitlement and blissful ignorance of people who cannot follow important directions is seen all around us every day by folks failing to abide by rules and given our current situation to deadly consequences.  We really need to wake up and start rowing in the same direction or the standard of living that we rely on to fund these trails and our hobbies will be a memory.

IP Logged

Todd
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 05/08/20 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I rode the Roller Coaster loop today for the first time since February. I do believe it is in the best shape I can recall. Thank you for the stewardship and the sound judgment to let it rest for a bit. 

I got in a full lap before the showers started. The entire park was in fantastic shape. Dry and ripping. I noticed a lot of cleared drains and what seemed like many new drains. I also appreciated the reworked jumps and the work on the creek crossing on the Lake Loop. That was necessary for sustainability, but I'll miss the challenge of cleaning that climb out of the creek bed. 

Thank you for all the work maintaining the entire trail. It was a pleasure to ride today.

-Todd

IP Logged

bdotson
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 05/08/20 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Yeah! I second all Todd just said. Rode there yesterday for the first time in weeks and appreciate all the work. The new creek crossing was a big surprise and while I did love the challenge previously, it was a blast just ripping through it at a smoking pace! Loved all the tidied up jumps and berms too. I must have come through right after the work was done on the very end sections after the boardwalk b/c they were still kinds  soft but   I can see they will be great improvements when it all firms up.

Loving the upgrades at Sherman. Every time I think I’m getting a bit burned out on the trail you guys just sweeten it again. Glad its practically in my back yard. Thanks to all the gnomes - you guys rock!  Cool

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #12 - 05/09/20 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Great reports!

A gentle reminder for everyone that this is "renewal season" for memberships. Please show your appreciation for all of the hard work to build, maintain and improve the incredible trail system we have in and around Charlotte by joining or renewing your membership. There are a boatload of prizes both the club and IMBA are giving away for new memberships and renewals that happen this month and next.  

Help keep the good times rollin' like:
    - super re-routs and jump line upgrades at Charlotte's baddest a** trail in everyone's backyard - BYT;

- new primo mileage in Concord - a new trail close to home;

- Great new stuff at the new and growing Mountain Island trail -more trail close to home;

- You haven't been to Purser Hulsey in Matthews yet?? More fast and fun newish trail close to (my) home;

- $100,000 for new pro-built stuff at Beatty coming on board;

- Maybe a new parking lot somewhere West of town to open up another new 6 miles of trail close to somebody's home? 

Please, everyone join and renew! Tell your riding buds to do the same! Its easy - just click the Join button on the homepage.

More at:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #13 - 05/10/20 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the work you guys have been doing at Sherman. I think it’s in the best condition I have seen in the 5 years I have been riding it. Took a group of 6 friends out today and everyone from the newbies to the experts had a great time. Very few places where you can do that in the world. You guys Absolutely knocked it out of the park. 

Now for the reality check so you can get your heads through the door frame. While the stream crossing may have been necessary to stop erosion I wonder if there isn’t a way to put a bit of tech back in. Gotta say that’s one of the best features of the trail. Granted a bit of time will change things but I really enjoyed getting my ass handed to me periodically there.  Chest la vie. 

Overall thanks very much for all you do for us. 
Cheers,
Jeff

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #14 - 05/11/20 at 1:25am
Print Post  
NC Kingsting wrote on 05/10/20 at 7:25pm:

Now for the reality check so you can get your heads through the door frame. While the stream crossing may have been necessary to stop erosion I wonder if there isn’t a way to put a bit of tech back in. Gotta say that’s one of the best features of the trail. Granted a bit of time will change things but I really enjoyed getting my ass handed to me periodically there.  Chest la vie. 

Jeff

You still have port o potty roulette, so quit your bitchin

IP Logged

jaybase09
Coaster Bike

Reply #15 - 05/11/20 at 2:42am
Print Post  
Yeah I agree about the great work but also to creek crossing...is there plans to put back a rock line? I wasn’t all that thrilled at how easy it is now after over a decade of a nice challenging rock climb.

IP Logged

gonzo
In The Loop

Reply #16 - 05/11/20 at 11:49am
Print Post  
give Mother Nature a little time.  the rocks are still there and as rain moves the sand and soil around, they will start popping g back up naturally.   be patient and before you know it, you'll be cursing the rocks once again.

I have reason to believe that the squirrels are mocking me.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Kevin Becker

Reply #17 - 05/11/20 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
My nephew and I rode the main and lake loop yesterday. Personally I dislike rocks on the trail, but understand that others appreciate the challenge. Ended up getting a long scrape on the leg going through a rock garden on the back half of main.

IP Logged

charliez

Reply #18 - 05/16/20 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Agree with other comments about the stream crossing being too easy now. That was one challenge that I looked forward to and it would be great if there were two line to choose from, ie an easy one and a technical one similar to the way it was originally was.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print