Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Fork confusion... (Read 1867 times)
Chris Adams

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Fork confusion...
05/19/20 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
So I've come into a GT Verb on a great deal and can't get this XCM off it quick enough. I'm a bit stuck though. The frame has a tapered headtube, but comes stock with a straight steerer fork with a crown race adapter, and a hub with a 9mm QR. In my search for an upgrade candidate, I'm stumbling a bit. I feel like I should take advantage of the opportunity to run a tapered steer tube fork, but there aren't many forks out there with tapered steerers and 9MM QR. I'm looking at $250ish range of forks, I'm finding some closer to $400.

So I guess my questions are, is the tapered steerer worth all this searching or should I just get a Manitou Markhor with a straight steerer tube and move on with my life? Or should I search for a unicorn fork with tapered and 9mm? OR, should I go tapered/boost and either buy a new hub and rebuild my front wheel, or get a new front wheel all together?
« Last Edit: 05/19/20 at 9:19pm by Chris Adams »  

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Re: Fork confusion...
Reply #1 - 05/20/20 at 2:16am
Print Post  
If you rebuild or get a new front wheel, you can choose any fork you want..
This gives you more options.

Therefore, it comes down to whether you can live with a compromise fork or spend the extra dough, and deal with the wheel. 

But if you're only planning to spend $250 on a fork, then it's looks like to me you looking for the least expensive option for this bike.

If you think it's a keeper then it's worth it to upgrade it right. If not and you plan to upgrade in the next year or two choose the least expensive good option and save your dough.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 05/20/20 at 2:54am
Print Post  
I wouldnt bother worrying about going tapered.  If you can find a nicer fork with a straight steerer and qr, then thats the way to go. (My opinion)... that being said, wheelset is generally the best upgrade you can make, but that will at least double your budget if you want to do both. If you can save up and get a new wheelset and a new fork, unless your rear is boost (without googling the frame i doubt it if the front is qr) then just go non boost 15mm - youll have tons of fork and wheel options. If they are just stock wheels, however, i wouldnt suggest relacing the front just to get a better fork (esp tapered), as stock wheels probably arent worth the hassle...

Thats my opinion. Hope it helps. If not, feel free to ignore - as long as you have fun ride bikes.

IP Logged

Chris Adams

Reply #3 - 05/20/20 at 4:51am
Print Post  
Thanks so much for the replies. This is some good info. My main goal is to get the bike upgraded to be better and reliable. I’m focusing on contact points and fork, that seems to be a fairly agreed upon strategy. Everything I’m seeing is saying that XCM coil is just not going to be worth riding. My gut says to get the fork upgrade with a lower end air fork, markhor / recon rl type fork. I just don’t know enough to know if I’m going to be kicking myself that I didn’t go tapered. If the difference is negligible, I think it makes more sense to go with a straight steerer. Thanks again for the replies.

IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 05/20/20 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
With all of the changes that have come from different standards over the years, I'll say that going from a front QR to a 15mm thru axle was easily the most notable difference for me. The difference in stiffness and steering precision is very noticeable, not to mention both the safety factor, and wheel is always lined up correctly factor. I'd say go tapered and TA, and then you'll be future proof for a good while. You can get front hubs pretty cheap too and just rebuild your existing wheel or just get a whole wheel.
« Last Edit: 05/20/20 at 2:15pm by Shredder »  

IP Logged

Chris Adams

Reply #5 - 05/20/20 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks. Is re-lacing the wheel something I'd do myself and then take it somewhere to get it trued? Or would it make more sense to take the hub and existing wheel to someone and have them do all of it? A fear of mine is I'd buy a bad front wheel based on price and get something bad. Like is a Sun Ringle Charger comp for $70 terrible? Good enough? Better than my current wheel/hub? I'm almost leaning towards getting a zs56/30 headset bottom and something like a Judy and riding the heck out of this improved bike and prove that I need more than that. At least with the bike frame I can either keep fiddling if I want or get a better bike if/when I prove I need it. I've confidently removed the option of finding a taper/9mm fork and just need to decide if I want to commit more to the upgrade. Thanks again for all the info guys.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 05/20/20 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
If you have not built wheels before,  then it is not a good idea to try your first on your own and without the proper tools. Honestly, re-lacing a stock rim if not worth the trouble, and youd also need to do a proper spoke calculation to determine if you could re-use the old spokes, or if you have to order new spokes. Generally OEM wheels are worth $50-100/set in resale value, and youll easily spent more than that for a decent hub and spokes.

Wheels are the boggest inprovement on a bike (from.stock, generally speaking) as higher end wheels will be stiffer and generally very significantly lighter (sometimes half a pound to a full pound depending on what you upgrade to) and rotational wieght makes the most difference in bike handling. Not to say not to get a new fork since you want one, BUT it might be best if you can upgrade wheels and fork together (save up) and go with a front 15mm thru axle fork that is tapered, then youll have a vastly nicer bike and be tempted to keep it for a few years.

Good buget wheelset would be something like a Stans Arch Wheelset, for general trail riding and balance of budget and performance.

I may have missed it. But what wheel size are you running?

IP Logged

Chris Adams

Reply #7 - 05/20/20 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
It's 27.5

Thanks for all the info.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 05/21/20 at 1:16am
Print Post  
What a dilemma..

The minute you spend the dough upgrading this thing with new parts, is the minute you'll decide it's time to try a 29er.   Smiley

And that my friend, is why we have a marketplace. And why many of us end up with multiple bikes.

« Last Edit: 05/21/20 at 11:12am by IntheBush »  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print