Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) One trail for use when it’s wet? (Read 2717 times)
strizzout

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: One trail for use when it’s wet?
Reply #20 - 05/22/20 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
SirNotAppearing wrote on 05/22/20 at 1:22pm:

Yet.

I'll bring my own Pulaski, just point me to the spot!

IP Logged

ETSX-70

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #21 - 05/22/20 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Heck yeah, I'd like to help on a project like that.  I would think a centrally located trail would be best since it would be the only trail open a lot of the time.  Maybe the Tech Loop on BYT?  It's easily accessible from the service roads (good for hauling rock), not too long, and it's got a lot of rock anyhow.

Maybe we could find a sponsor to help us get the rock.  It would be cool to have one trail in green on the home page of this site for the many rainy weeks we get.
« Last Edit: 05/22/20 at 7:16pm by ETSX-70 »  

IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Reply #22 - 05/22/20 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Short Track At Renaissance.  We armored the hell out of it this year. The past 2 years, we've ridden it during weather as bad as mother nature could throw at it.

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #23 - 05/23/20 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
I have thought about making the Tech Loop an all weather trail. But due to it being so close to the other sections of BYT I kinda decided against it, well at least for the near future. 

Perhaps one of the biggest challenges after creating an all weather trail would be keeping the trail as narrow as possible. Riders now seem to prefer riding around an obstacle rather than over or through as we used to do back in the day. Also the number of riders has increased dramatically over the past 20 years which would increase the short term damage and without the bi-yearly maintenance the long term damage would also be considerable. 

The reason the Short Track has held up over the years is the simple fact of this maintenance being done every year. Why is the maintenance being done? The driving force was Neal Boyd and the fact that Neal wanted to spend the time and effort to make the trail all weather, and yes of course to keep the race series going even during the worst of weather. Over the last 6-8 years there has been a great turnout to help with this maintenance. 15 years ago it was me and Neal with buckets and 1 wheelbarrow toting gravel. Now we have  the 4 wheeler, dump trailer, skid steer, and a mini excavator. And at times up to 15 people with tools helping. Now Brian Bradley also works on the course and by creating new and interesting features I expect the trail to continue to get even better and better. 

Long story short is we can make another trail but everyone has to keep in mind the ST is just 1 mile long. And everyone has to understand how much effort it took and continues to take just to make that 1 mile of trail all weather, and an interesting and fun 1 mile of trail it is. Although how quickly would you get bored riding the same 1 mile over and over without a race going on? Myself bored very quickly. So with that being said the trail would need to be closer to 3 miles and at minimum 2 miles long.

I can chat with the other Trail Coordinators and perhaps we can all come up with a plan but until that's happens..............  don't hold your breath.

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print