Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) One trail for use when it’s wet? (Read 2751 times)
ETSX-70

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

One trail for use when it’s wet?
05/21/20 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
There’s such a long list of awesome trails in Charlotte now. What do you think of designating just one that is ok to ride when wet? Maybe on a trial basis? Most trails in the UK don’t close..rains all the time there. Flame away!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Re: One trail for use when it’s wet?
Reply #1 - 05/21/20 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Little Sugar Creek Greenway, Mallard Creek Greenway, Toby Creek Greenway...

I'm glad that this is an environment where you feel free to fail.

IP Logged

ETSX-70

Reply #2 - 05/21/20 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Wears my bike wrote on 05/21/20 at 4:25pm:

Lol...good one

IP Logged

JustinCeez
Coaster Bike

Reply #3 - 05/21/20 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Parkway loop at WWC is always open.

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 05/21/20 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Uwharrie

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #5 - 05/21/20 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Wears my bike wrote on 05/21/20 at 4:25pm:

Little Sugar Creek, about a mile past Park Road Park is under construction for storm drain work.  All the blacktop has been removed.  Will be a muddy mess.

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #6 - 05/21/20 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
It's a soil thing. Try riding red clay after a heavy rain. It sucks. It's bad for the trail and it's bad for your bike. Knoxville found a solution though: spend $1 million and build a paved bike park.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Reply #7 - 05/21/20 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
I thought Poston was the one designated trash trail in the area....

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #8 - 05/21/20 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Rocky Knob

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #9 - 05/21/20 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
SirNotAppearing wrote on 05/21/20 at 5:38pm:
It's a soil thing. Try riding red clay after a heavy rain. It sucks. It's bad for the trail and it's bad for your bike. Knoxville found a solution though: spend $1 million and build a paved bike park.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The AMBC and City of Knoxville also converted one piece of their urban wilderness trail network into the "Year Round Get Down".  Basically rock armored every lip, lander, berm and most of the tread.  what isn't rock armored is some crushed aggregate.  It's meant to keep them riding through the winter.

Here's a video with some different angles to show you the tread (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

pmedly

Reply #10 - 05/21/20 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
FourMat wrote on 05/21/20 at 6:15pm:
I thought Poston was the one designated trash trail in the area....

What makes Poston a trash trail? Just because it never closes doesnt mean to use poor judgement and tear it up after the rain.

IP Logged

ETSX-70

Reply #11 - 05/21/20 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
TrillWill wrote on 05/21/20 at 8:42pm:

The AMBC and City of Knoxville also converted one piece of their urban wilderness trail network into the "Year Round Get Down".  Basically rock armored every lip, lander, berm and most of the tread.  what isn't rock armored is some crushed aggregate.  It's meant to keep them riding through the winter.

Here's a video with some different angles to show you the tread (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Super cool.  We need something like that here.
« Last Edit: 05/21/20 at 9:06pm by ETSX-70 »  

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #12 - 05/21/20 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
pmedly wrote on 05/21/20 at 8:59pm:

What makes Poston a trash trail? Just because it never closes doesnt mean to use poor judgement and tear it up after the rain.

It’s an old irrelevant beef which I loved how another member put it, is nothing more than a meme war. So every once in a while there is going to be a shot fired for now apparent reason other than to keep the meme war going. 

Reality is, aside from Uwharie, Poston is usually the first to be ready to ride. The soils there are more similar to the mountains and a lot more porous and try out really well, aside from a few sections on lake loop. 

Poston overall is a great trail with a lot of variety, well maintained by a group of dedicated volunteers, well draining due to soils, and you cant find another trail in Charlotte which will be closer to pisgah(ish) type trails based on the soils/rocks alone and some of the elevation it has. 

Some old wounds just wont die

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #13 - 05/21/20 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Funny, I always here "What We Need" but I never hear, "I going to build" or what can I do make this happen.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

ETSX-70

Reply #14 - 05/21/20 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 05/21/20 at 9:33pm:
Funny, I always here "What We Need" but I never hear, "I going to build" or what can I do make this happen.

Anybody here own a rock quarry? 😁

If Knoxville can do it Charlotte can.

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #15 - 05/21/20 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
ETSX-70 wrote on 05/21/20 at 9:49pm:

Anybody here own a rock quarry? 😁

If Knoxville can do it Charlotte can.

Unfortunately our rock quarries go down...so when they are done with them and turn the pumps off, they get filled with water.

IP Logged

strizzout

Reply #16 - 05/22/20 at 1:04am
Print Post  
ETSX-70 wrote on 05/21/20 at 4:22pm:
Most trails in the UK don’t close..rains all the time there. Flame away!  Cheesy

For those of you who knew Woody Keen before he took a look down a westbound road, you know he took a trip to the UK in the early '10s and then spent every. waking. moment. talking about their approach to trails. He even gave a couple of clinics about it. There's something to be said for armoring just about everything on a particular trail, and it's a bummer that we don't have anything like it here.

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #17 - 05/22/20 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
strizzout wrote on 05/22/20 at 1:04am:

For those of you who knew Woody Keen before he took a look down a westbound road, you know he took a trip to the UK in the early '10s and then spent every. waking. moment. talking about their approach to trails. He even gave a couple of clinics about it. There's something to be said for armoring just about everything on a particular trail, and it's a bummer that we don't have anything like it here.

Yet.

IP Logged

CannonBall

Reply #18 - 05/22/20 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Wears my bike wrote on 05/21/20 at 9:14pm:

Poston overall is a great trail with a lot of variety, well maintained by a group of dedicated volunteers, well draining due to soils, and you cant find another trail in Charlotte which will be closer to pisgah(ish) type trails based on the soils/rocks alone and some of the elevation it has. 

I'm new to the charlotte area and on the west side of town. Poston is my favorite place I've ridden around here. There are some fun kind of techy climbs, the jumps/drops are great, but all of them have nice ride arounds. It's a bit short, but I'm usually kinda done by the end of that loop anyway. I feel like the punchy climbs around NC just tire me out more than the long steady climbs followed by long DHs I'm used to. Also I never really feel like I need a FS at poston, same with WWC too, but that really is always muddy. 

IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Reply #19 - 05/22/20 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
pmedly wrote on 05/21/20 at 8:59pm:

Oh, it's not a slight against Poston, but Every. Single. Time. someone says something about riding when trails are wet, they either jokingly or seriously say Poston never closes, which implies that it's ok to go trash the trail, whether they should or not.   

With that being said, there also seems to be tacit approval from the overriding organization that it's ok  ride the trail when wet and trash it because they don't close it or dispute that it never closes.  For anyone who is a casual observer, never works on a trail, and really doesn't know the standard common sense policies for trail upkeep, they see that as an invitation to go ride any time.  The term trash trail only means that it's widely said to be acceptable to ride it wet, not that it's a trashy trail.  I've only heard great things about that place.

IP Logged

strizzout

Reply #20 - 05/22/20 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
SirNotAppearing wrote on 05/22/20 at 1:22pm:

Yet.

I'll bring my own Pulaski, just point me to the spot!

IP Logged

ETSX-70

Reply #21 - 05/22/20 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Heck yeah, I'd like to help on a project like that.  I would think a centrally located trail would be best since it would be the only trail open a lot of the time.  Maybe the Tech Loop on BYT?  It's easily accessible from the service roads (good for hauling rock), not too long, and it's got a lot of rock anyhow.

Maybe we could find a sponsor to help us get the rock.  It would be cool to have one trail in green on the home page of this site for the many rainy weeks we get.
« Last Edit: 05/22/20 at 7:16pm by ETSX-70 »  

IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Reply #22 - 05/22/20 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Short Track At Renaissance.  We armored the hell out of it this year. The past 2 years, we've ridden it during weather as bad as mother nature could throw at it.

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #23 - 05/23/20 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
I have thought about making the Tech Loop an all weather trail. But due to it being so close to the other sections of BYT I kinda decided against it, well at least for the near future. 

Perhaps one of the biggest challenges after creating an all weather trail would be keeping the trail as narrow as possible. Riders now seem to prefer riding around an obstacle rather than over or through as we used to do back in the day. Also the number of riders has increased dramatically over the past 20 years which would increase the short term damage and without the bi-yearly maintenance the long term damage would also be considerable. 

The reason the Short Track has held up over the years is the simple fact of this maintenance being done every year. Why is the maintenance being done? The driving force was Neal Boyd and the fact that Neal wanted to spend the time and effort to make the trail all weather, and yes of course to keep the race series going even during the worst of weather. Over the last 6-8 years there has been a great turnout to help with this maintenance. 15 years ago it was me and Neal with buckets and 1 wheelbarrow toting gravel. Now we have  the 4 wheeler, dump trailer, skid steer, and a mini excavator. And at times up to 15 people with tools helping. Now Brian Bradley also works on the course and by creating new and interesting features I expect the trail to continue to get even better and better. 

Long story short is we can make another trail but everyone has to keep in mind the ST is just 1 mile long. And everyone has to understand how much effort it took and continues to take just to make that 1 mile of trail all weather, and an interesting and fun 1 mile of trail it is. Although how quickly would you get bored riding the same 1 mile over and over without a race going on? Myself bored very quickly. So with that being said the trail would need to be closer to 3 miles and at minimum 2 miles long.

I can chat with the other Trail Coordinators and perhaps we can all come up with a plan but until that's happens..............  don't hold your breath.

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Print