Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) BYT status? (Read 9624 times)
gubna

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

BYT status?
06/04/20 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Is it still wet? Or is there another reason it’s closed? Thanks!

Just curious since I check the status everyday. Ok, more like three times a day.

IP Logged

Zaspex

Tree Check - Cicada's
Meow

Re: BYT status?
Reply #1 - 06/04/20 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
All assumptions here - Old jump line area, including towards poo tracks, has numerous massive trees down - mini loop now goes through a pond. I saw that just from "wandering by"  the other day.  I would imagine there are other issues deeper in the system.  MD and PRP looking good.

IP Logged

2whldrifter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/05/20 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Just rode a little BYT loop over my lunch hour...THANK YOU to those who have cleared the trees.  Your work is appreciated!   
One observation - as someone who has been riding back there since '99; it really is getting beat up...poor thing.

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #3 - 06/06/20 at 2:46am
Print Post  
Wait a minute there 2whldrifter. So you admit to riding there today knowing that the trail is still closed?

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #4 - 06/06/20 at 10:59am
Print Post  
And then complains about it getting beat up....hmmmmmmm

I'm glad that this is an environment where you feel free to fail.

IP Logged

2whldrifter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/08/20 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Santana and Wears my bike:  I truly thought that the trail was open (had seen multiple strava runs out there) but admittedly did not check status on the boards. 
Was it not open around noon on Friday 6/5 (@1:00ish) BEFORE the rains came? I rode the little section up by the entrance to the plant- and it was dry- and I am confident that I did not do trail damage.
If not- totally my bad (this is something I do try to keep tabs on.)   
I see your point that it comes across that I am complaining- did not mean to come across as such- just was making an observation. 
For the record- I do try to keep up with trail maintenance as time allows- as I really love these trails.
Not trying to cause a stir- was only trying to help.   
Will avoid both the club and forums moving forward.  Good luck to you both- your passion is exemplary.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #6 - 06/08/20 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
This does raise the question, how much of a beating did the BYT take to have it closed for an extended period of time?

Options to close a particular loop while keeping others open?

Trail has been riding great with all the recent work

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #7 - 06/08/20 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Santana and Wears my bike:  I truly thought that the trail was open (had seen multiple strava runs out there) but admittedly did not check status on the boards. 
Was it not open around noon on Friday 6/5 (@1:00ish) BEFORE the rains came? I rode the little section up by the entrance to the plant- and it was dry- and I am confident that I did not do trail damage.
If not- totally my bad (this is something I do try to keep tabs on.)   
I see your point that it comes across that I am complaining- did not mean to come across as such- just was making an observation. 
For the record- I do try to keep up with trail maintenance as time allows- as I really love these trails.
Not trying to cause a stir- was only trying to help.  
Will avoid both the club and forums moving forward.  Good luck to you both- your passion is exemplary.

Thin Skin

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

NC_Pyga
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #8 - 06/09/20 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 06/08/20 at 4:24pm:
This does raise the question, how much of a beating did the BYT take to have it closed for an extended period of time?

Options to close a particular loop while keeping others open?

Trail has been riding great with all the recent work

This ^^^

Is it a tree down issue or water drainage issue? I haven't seen any trail days posted for BYT so am wondering if there is something more serious going on out there. It would be helpful if someone  with knowledge of what the issues are posts them up here so we're not left in the dark wondering what's up.with the trail and why it's remaining closed.

I see cars with bike racks on them parked in the BYT lot everyday so it's fair to guess people are riding it.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #9 - 06/11/20 at 4:27am
Print Post  
Must resist casting a line.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #10 - 06/11/20 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I must resist on commenting on anything you post or should I?

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #11 - 06/11/20 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
worker-rider wrote on 06/11/20 at 5:32pm:
I must resist on commenting on anything you post or should I?

No! I beseech you! No!

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #12 - 06/11/20 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Folks are simply looking for more details behind an extended closure.  Seems a fair request.

Zombie Apocalypse on the tech loop?

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #13 - 06/12/20 at 1:28am
Print Post  
Lots of rain and trees down. Go troll elsewhere! Trail has to be moved now and others are working on it while you sit and get blisters on your fingertips from typing.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #14 - 06/12/20 at 2:15am
Print Post  
worker-rider wrote on 06/12/20 at 1:28am:
Lots of rain and trees down. Go troll elsewhere! Trail has to be moved now and others are working on it while you sit and get blisters on your fingertips from typing.

Schedule for said trailwork seems to be missing from the homepage.

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #15 - 06/12/20 at 2:39am
Print Post  
I’m not the said TC anymore Lee,Tim and David are. I’m busy working on something else. No time for trolls in my world only people with the passion for turning dirt,digging up trees and stacking dirt.

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #16 - 06/12/20 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Regarding workdays; until a week ago (maybe 2, or possibly 3 as the days are blurring together) we had not been allowed to schedule work days. You know, the whole no groups of more than 6 thing, so there’s that. Also, most of us have been scrambling to keep their business, work, or lights on. I know David has been crushed with real life and a kid, Lee is working like a dog at real work and when he has free time he has been spending time with family and photography and then working at BYT just as hard when he can squeeze it in. I personally have those who feel i already spend too much time looking at, thinking about, and or riding my bike so to get free time for trail work is tough. 

I think we have to remember the trails are built and maintained by volunteers and it is a privilege to have them. We don’t have paid staff (yet) and the county and city do not fund anything we do. Most of the work that happens there is when we have free time and these volunteers and all of us are being stretched to the max right now. 

But at any time anyone is free to grab a saw to walk the trails and clear trees and branches, grab a machete to clear face slappers or brush, pick up sticks, clear a drain, block a ride around, or heaven forbid even lay sticks in a mud whole as an intern fix to prevent the trail from getting widened until it can get fixed properly. Any of these actions do not need permission, provided you do not remove rocks, a feature or otherwise change the trail to suit your ridding and will help clear up general maintenance backlogs to help the trail open quicker. 

Riding bikes is a privilege not a right and doing a small acts will help (like stoping to pick up another’s goo packet vs seeing it, thinking that person is an arse, but then keep on riding. It’s the same as seeing a fallen branch in the way and then leaving it and riding on).

Thats my thoughts. Hopefully Enoch won’t delete this comment like my last comment (which was rightfully deleted as it was full of hate and misdirected anger).

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #17 - 06/12/20 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
I would rather not just have anyone out walking the trail with a chainsaw and removing downed trees. Believe it or not but just having a chainsaw does not make someone competent in removing and clearing a downed tree due to a storm. Often storm damage has a higher risk of hanging trunks with multiple compression points. Death is only a short mistake away and I can guarantee that the tree does not care if you are on top of it, underneath, or on the wrong side while you are cutting. Just recently we had an experienced individual come very close to making a mistake which could have been fatal. This individual was out on the trail alone which is common for some of us to do at BYT. 

I have spoken with Mark Sullivan and I believe we are in agreeance that in the near future we will have another training session for safe handling of saws and safe techniques for felling, limbing, and bucking trees.. 

This does not mean we do not want help from others with pruning shears and shovels, by all means the more the merrier. 

It's just my opinion, but I never want to feel like the desire for someone to help on the trails has created an unnecessary tragedy just because myself or another qualified TC can't make it out for a few days to do the removal.

Here is my one time in 40 years of almost making that fatal mistake for anyone doubting my thought process for the safe removal of downed trees. 10 years ago I was cutting an 18” trunk that crossed the trail in two points. 

I assessed the tree and made a plan. The tension and compression point was in a horizontal plane about 3 feet off the ground.
I made a small relief cut on the compression side. Felt my phone ringing in my pocket. Killed the saw and sat it on the trunk. During that 8 minute conversation I was walking around while I became angry with the individual I was talking with. Phone call ended I walked back over to the tree grabbed my saw and started cutting again, next thing I knew I was thrown backwards 10 feet by the upper trunk. 

Bruised and a bit more pissed off I sat back and realized what I had done. 

I had wandered around long enough to make my way on the tension side of the tree where I had left my backpack and water bottle. After the call ended I had gone back to the tree grabbed the saw and proceeded to make a relief cut on what I thought was the compression side of the tree but in reality I had completely forgotten I had already done that and was now standing in the danger zone of the tension side.

My 1st mistake was when I first went out. I knew that I only had a short amount of time to work on the trail. So I was rushed. 
2nd mistake was not taking the time to limb the tree properly.
3rd mistake was planning on only removing the trunk section that crossed the trail. I knew this was more risky but common and can be done in a safe manner.
4th was answering my phone while I was in the middle of this process.
5th was not taking the time to refocus on what I was doing. 
6th is continuing to go out in the woods to cut out trees and work on the trail for a bunch of whiny ass boomers.  Grin

Ever since then I really take my time. I assess the tree more than once during the initial inspection and depending on the size of the tree I reassess a couple more times during the process. Especially after removing larger limbs or sections. Most important is I stay focused and do not try and rush the job.

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #18 - 06/12/20 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
I meant Hand Saw....

IP Logged

drdirt55
Small Cog

Stupid should be painful

Reply #19 - 06/12/20 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
I just like the thought of a machete for face slappers...you know, make it fun
Cheesy

Ride On

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3