Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Best Flow Trails in CLT (Read 4511 times)
The Godfather Part IV

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Best Flow Trails in CLT
06/16/20 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Just curious, what are the best flow trails in Charlotte at the current moment? Is it Sherman Branch? 

Does anything at the USNWWC compare in terms of overall speed (without punishing climbs) with a few kickers?

IP Logged

Erl

Re: Best Flow Trails in CLT
Reply #1 - 06/16/20 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Ann Springs has a lot of flow

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 06/16/20 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
The Godfather Part IV wrote on 06/16/20 at 9:37pm:
Hi,

Just curious, what are the best flow trails in Charlotte at the current moment? Is it Sherman Branch? 

Does anything at the USNWWC compare in terms of overall speed (without punishing climbs) with a few kickers?

Whitewater center parkway trail.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #3 - 06/17/20 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Rocky River Trail

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates

IP Logged

The Godfather Part IV

Reply #4 - 06/17/20 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the comments! I'll have to venture out to Anne Springs and check it out. 

I've ridden Rocky River a few times and that's definitely the type of riding I'm looking for.

IP Logged

DSO
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 06/17/20 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
The Godfather Part IV wrote on 06/16/20 at 9:37pm:
Hi,

Anne Springs Close Greenway is fast and smooth without any big climbs. I average 2 mph faster on those trails.

Warriors Creek in Wilkesboro is super flowy. Just checkout the pics and reviews.

At Whitewater Center the second part of Carpet has a good downhill flow section. Smokey and Tributary have some good flow in sections, also.

IP Logged

cthomps427

Reply #6 - 06/17/20 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
MTBman1127 wrote on 06/17/20 at 12:16am:
Rocky River Trail

I'm admittedly a pretty new rider but I didn't find any similarity at all between Sherman and Rocky River. I've ridden 8 of the local trails and felt that RR was perhaps the least flowey aside from the small section of BYT I rode (before anyone jumps on me: yes, I know it's closed right now. When I rode it I didn't know about this site or even that trails closed after rain. Again, I'm new). Just my humble opinion but I've found Ballantyne to be very comparable to Sherman (albeit shorter) and Beatty seems pretty fast & flowey. 

I'd love to hear about other tracks with the Sherman-type characteristics.
« Last Edit: 06/17/20 at 4:27pm by cthomps427 »  

IP Logged

bdotson
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 06/17/20 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Salisbury Community Park has some sweet flow and never gets enough love nor publicity IMO. Give it a roll and see if you don’t agree.

2020 Kona Mahuna Singlespeed (Yes, I am a dinosaur. Affirmative)

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #8 - 06/17/20 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Some good suggestions so far. You might also try Purser Halsey. Close to several of the other options you mentioned and they have done some excellent work there in the past 1.5 years.

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #9 - 06/18/20 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
cthomps427 wrote on 06/17/20 at 4:24pm:

I'm admittedly a pretty new rider but I didn't find any similarity at all between Sherman and Rocky River. I've ridden 8 of the local trails and felt that RR was perhaps the least flowey aside from the small section of BYT I rode (before anyone jumps on me: yes, I know it's closed right now. When I rode it I didn't know about this site or even that trails closed after rain. Again, I'm new). Just my humble opinion but I've found Ballantyne to be very comparable to Sherman (albeit shorter) and Beatty seems pretty fast & flowey. 

I'd love to hear about other tracks with the Sherman-type characteristics.

I think when people say flow a lot of the time they just mean easy.

I don't particularly look at it that way as flow to me is how the trail works together, to carry speed, link up different sections and and how the overall feel of the trail is. Rocky River has lots of flow I feel as there is a climb (Kind of like a lift) then a long section of trail that all links up and speaks to you. Then you get another climb to another long section. 

Another example to me would be Upper Black Mountain in Pisgah. It's not smooth by any stretch but man it all just works so well together you get a flow riding down and its a great feeling at the bottom. 

Hope that makes sense. But flow doesn't always mean hwy through the woods. to me at least. Not trying to come off mean or harsh btw. 
« Last Edit: 06/18/20 at 6:11pm by MTBman1127 »  

IP Logged

Dad2TnR
Little Ring

Reply #10 - 06/18/20 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
On the north side of town, Lake Norman (specifically Monbo, Fox, Fallstown, and Wildlife Loops) and Mazeppa.

IP Logged

cthomps427

Reply #11 - 06/19/20 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
MTBman1127 wrote on 06/18/20 at 6:07pm:

I think when people say flow a lot of the time they just mean easy.

I don't particularly look at it that way as flow to me is how the trail works together, to carry speed, link up different sections and and how the overall feel of the trail is. Rocky River has lots of flow I feel as there is a climb (Kind of like a lift) then a long section of trail that all links up and speaks to you. Then you get another climb to another long section. 

Another example to me would be Upper Black Mountain in Pisgah. It's not smooth by any stretch but man it all just works so well together you get a flow riding down and its a great feeling at the bottom. 

Hope that makes sense. But flow doesn't always mean hwy through the woods. to me at least. Not trying to come off mean or harsh btw. 

No offense taken. By "flow" I do mean the ability to carry speed through turns, hills, and different terrain without necessarily having to deal with constant climbs, mud pits, roots/rocks etc so in a sense I do (kind of) mean "easy". For me - again a a newer rider - it's a lot more fun to go barreling through the woods at speed and maybe hit a few jumps or features than it is to grind through hill after hill. Climbing for 15 minutes to go down hill for 15 seconds doesn't seem like a good return on investment:)   I know the MTB purists will look disdainfully upon this perspective. I'm not a purist and probably don't even count as an enthusiast - I'm just someone looking for some for fun and exercise between my 50 hour workweek and dad duties.
« Last Edit: 06/19/20 at 8:36pm by cthomps427 »  

IP Logged

cthomps427

Reply #12 - 06/19/20 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
NC Kingsting wrote on 06/17/20 at 8:34pm:
Some good suggestions so far. You might also try Purser Halsey. Close to several of the other options you mentioned and they have done some excellent work there in the past 1.5 years.

Tried this yesterday and really liked it. It was still a bit soggy but I can see how it could be a blast when it fully dries out. Thanks for the suggestion!

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #13 - 06/20/20 at 1:48am
Print Post  
"Flow Trails" are a big part of the future of mountain biking. Trail building companies and designs/builders like Mr. Horton (?) Who built Mezzappa and Kerr Scott trails can make new trails anywhere across America. You don't necessarily need mountains to make a sick trail system. The more the merrier. 🖖

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #14 - 06/20/20 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
cthomps427 wrote on 06/19/20 at 8:34pm:

No offense taken. By "flow" I do mean the ability to carry speed through turns, hills, and different terrain without necessarily having to deal with constant climbs, mud pits, roots/rocks etc so in a sense I do (kind of) mean "easy". For me - again a a newer rider - it's a lot more fun to go barreling through the woods at speed and maybe hit a few jumps or features than it is to grind through hill after hill. Climbing for 15 minutes to go down hill for 15 seconds doesn't seem like a good return on investment:)   I know the MTB purists will look disdainfully upon this perspective. I'm not a purist and probably don't even count as an enthusiast - I'm just someone looking for some for fun and exercise between my 50 hour workweek and dad duties.

In my personal opinion, you are correct that relative speed through a given section of trail is a large determinant of how difficult a trail is perceived to be. As a rider becomes more confident in their abilities speed tends to increase and those rocks and roots that were shoving you around on the trail are magically rolled over. In a similar fashion those punchy climbs that have you sucking wind become easier as your momentum carries you further up the climb. Prime examples would be North Main at USNWC or Roller Coaster loop at Sherman. Alternatively a relatively “easy” section of trail can become quite technical as speed increases as small bumps turn into kickers and turns and trees come up much more quickly. I think this diversity of experience is what makes our sport so enjoyable. Bottom line, keep having fun when you ride and try as many different sets of trails as possible. I think you will find the skills you gain on other trails will give you a different outlook on your more local rides.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #15 - 06/21/20 at 2:15am
Print Post  
808golden wrote on 06/20/20 at 1:48am:
"Flow Trails" are a big part of the future of mountain biking. Trail building companies and designs/builders like Mr. Horton (?) Who built Mezzappa and Kerr Scott trails can make new trails anywhere across America. You don't necessarily need mountains to make a sick trail system. The more the merrier. 🖖

Lake James trails have serious flow.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #16 - 06/22/20 at 3:14am
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 06/21/20 at 2:15am:

Per Youtube, Dixie River trails have primo flow. 

« Last Edit: 06/22/20 at 5:49pm by Robert C. »  

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #17 - 06/22/20 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
NC Kingsting wrote on 06/20/20 at 2:59pm:

In my personal opinion, you are correct that relative speed through a given section of trail is a large determinant of how difficult a trail is perceived to be. As a rider becomes more confident in their abilities speed tends to increase and those rocks and roots that were shoving you around on the trail are magically rolled over. In a similar fashion those punchy climbs that have you sucking wind become easier as your momentum carries you further up the climb. Prime examples would be North Main at USNWC or Roller Coaster loop at Sherman. Alternatively a relatively “easy” section of trail can become quite technical as speed increases as small bumps turn into kickers and turns and trees come up much more quickly. I think this diversity of experience is what makes our sport so enjoyable. Bottom line, keep having fun when you ride and try as many different sets of trails as possible. I think you will find the skills you gain on other trails will give you a different outlook on your more local rides.

You said this a little better than me. It always amazes me how much difference speed makes in smoothing out rough terrain.

IP Logged

Alien

Reply #18 - 06/22/20 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Where are the Dixie river trails?

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #19 - 06/23/20 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Alien wrote on 06/22/20 at 10:47pm:
Where are the Dixie river trails?

A large trail project in development through Mecklenburg county, Crescent Communities and THTB near the airport on a piece of vacant public land.  Phase I is not complete and not open to the public.  The THTB will share more information on the project once the County (the land manager) has made some decisions on a timeline for opening the park to the public.  The County and City (City owned parcel) do not endorse public access to this property at this time.

Here is some more info I posted in another thread (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).  
« Last Edit: 06/23/20 at 6:21pm by TrillWill »  

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print