Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ride Kanuga (Read 3213 times)
808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Ride Kanuga
08/17/20 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Got over to Ride Kanuga yesterday and it is a blast. Mellow 2 mile climb to a kiosk where all 10-12 trails originate. Greens, blues and blacks all made by pros. Literally a group of pro Enduro riders got a wild hair and went and built some perfect trails. I rode the blues and took a black on my way out and all three had rollers, jumps, berms and drops (many of each on the black I rode). It's located in Hendersonville and the people who operate the trails are super laid back. A++ Cheesy

IP Logged

Metalmok
Coaster Bike

I would rather ride than
work

Re: Ride Kanuga
Reply #1 - 08/17/20 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
I have been seeing a ton of stuff about Ride Kanuga on social media. Looks super fun. I need to get up there

Please consider the environment before you...

...play your Bluetooth speaker in the woods.

IP Logged

NC_Pyga
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 08/17/20 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
808golden wrote on 08/17/20 at 11:14am:
Got over to Ride Kanuga yesterday and it is a blast. Mellow 2 mile climb to a kiosk where all 10-12 trails originate. Greens, blues and blacks all made by pros. Literally a group of pro Enduro riders got a wild hair and went and built some perfect trails. I rode the blues and took a black on my way out and all three had rollers, jumps, berms and drops (many of each on the black I rode). It's located in Hendersonville and the people who operate the trails are super laid back. A++ Cheesy

Did you ride an emtb? I was planning to go up last weekend but held off due to the recent rains. Was wondering what the climb is like on a non emtb bike and whether one could do 5 or 6 laps with mediocre fitness.

May head up this weekend if rains aren't forecast.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #3 - 08/17/20 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
I've seen the videos too, looks awesome.  Some will ask, Why pay when Pisgah and DuPont are free?

IP Logged

Mike Overlay

Reply #4 - 08/17/20 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
NC_Pyga wrote on 08/17/20 at 5:12pm:

Did you ride an emtb? I was planning to go up last weekend but held off due to the recent rains. Was wondering what the climb is like on a non emtb bike and whether one could do 5 or 6 laps with mediocre fitness.

May head up this weekend if rains aren't forecast.

I did 5 laps up top and then 6 on the lower blue jump trail. No ebike. 20ish minutes up each lap just taking it easy in no hurry. 

The trails yesterday even after the heavy rains were perfect dirt. A lot of sand in the soil.

IP Logged

strizzout

Reply #5 - 08/19/20 at 3:21am
Print Post  
Mike Overlay wrote on 08/17/20 at 8:40pm:

I did 5 laps up top and then 6 on the lower blue jump trail. No ebike. 20ish minutes up each lap just taking it easy in no hurry. 

The trails yesterday even after the heavy rains were perfect dirt. A lot of sand in the soil.

Must have just missed you, we were there super early. Fun stuff -- the longer green was soft in places as it doesn't drain as well, but overall a blast. Still loose in some spots, and the braking bumps were really bad in a couple of places ... more riding and time will smooth things out and make this a must-do!

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #6 - 08/20/20 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Yes I did ride the ebike. 4 laps in 1:45 taking my time to check things out. The climb through the woods is mellow, kind of designed for groups to be able to cruise without getting all backed up. I'll be bringing my Enduro bike up there at some point. I was surprised by how well my Levo handled the drops and jumps. Definitely skipped the biggest features on the black trail I rode.

IP Logged

Vudu
Small Cog

Speed is the great equalizer

Reply #7 - 08/28/20 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Just got a chance to ride Kanuga this morning. Did 4 laps on my 6” travel AM bike before the rear derailleur blew up on one of the black trails. I don’t like climbing - but I was headed for another run before the mechanical, the climb up really isn’t that bad. Strava says about 2258 elev. for those 4 runs. Was planning on a lunch break after the 5th & then hopefully a few more but now I have a reason to go back.

Curious to see if anyone has hit that nasty rock drop approx. 15 secs into Paint It Black? The drop looks doable, it’s the landing & surviving that have me wondering Huh

Slash 9.8 carbon
Rail 9.8 carbon

IP Logged

Fud

Reply #8 - 08/28/20 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
I rode around that sketch both times I was on it.  The drops on Hemlock are much more approachable.

IP Logged

Scott77

Reply #9 - 08/29/20 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Park is well done.
Just waiting on shuttle service.  After 6 laps, the leg cramps were real.

IP Logged

Vudu
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 08/29/20 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Scott77 wrote on 08/29/20 at 8:20am:

Just waiting on shuttle service.  After 6 laps, the leg cramps were real.

Bring a rope with you & get one of the ebike guys to pull you up. I jokingly mentioned it to one of’m who wasn’t climbing much faster than I was & he said “grab ahold”. Told him I was kidding & kept gettin’ it, he was still at the top when I got there. It’s not too bad with a couple of sections you can rest & coast while gaining speed + a jump or two thrown in for good measure Smiley

Slash 9.8 carbon
Rail 9.8 carbon

IP Logged

nightowl
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 08/29/20 at 11:52am
Print Post  
the ebike's are your shuttle service  Grin
I just realized I've ridden everything there...i just need to get better at it.
And i don't care what anyone says, those climbs suck. By the time you are on your 4-6th run, you just roll your eyes  Roll Eyes hoping the end is near.
...hike a bike. Tongue Shocked Grin Undecided
« Last Edit: 08/29/20 at 11:56am by nightowl »  

IP Logged

chickenwyre
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 09/15/20 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Vudu wrote on 08/28/20 at 4:54pm:
Curious to see if anyone has hit that nasty rock drop approx. 15 secs into Paint It Black? The drop looks doable, it’s the landing & surviving that have me wondering Huh

Stay trail left before the rock, aim to the right as you approach, pop yourself over it kinda slow while turning back to the left for the turn. A little planning but not a big drop.

IP Logged

Vudu
Small Cog

Reply #13 - 09/15/20 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
(Stay trail left before the rock, aim to the right as you approach, pop yourself over it kinda slow while turning back to the left for the turn. A little planning but not a big drop.)

That was kinda my thinking as well when I looked at it, but the roots on the landing were soaking wet & all at a 45 degree angle + the sharp left as soon as your suspension rebounds had me riding around & checking it out from the bottom. As I mentioned earlier, yeah the drop is doable, just riding away is the unknown.
« Last Edit: 09/15/20 at 8:01pm by Vudu »  

Slash 9.8 carbon
Rail 9.8 carbon

IP Logged

29ftw
Small Cog

Reply #14 - 09/16/20 at 11:47am
Print Post  
nightowl wrote on 08/29/20 at 11:52am:
the ebike's are your shuttle service  Grin
I just realized I've ridden everything there...i just need to get better at it.
And i don't care what anyone says, those climbs suck. By the time you are on your 4-6th run, you just roll your eyes  Roll Eyes hoping the end is near.
...hike a bike. Tongue Shocked Grin Undecided

The climbing definitely adds up quickly.  We did 7 runs and my legs were pretty cooked.  I'm not convinced the daily passes are worth it considering no shuttle/lift..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print