Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Couple of questions... (Read 2348 times)
Bennyfranks

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Couple of questions...
09/07/20 at 9:03am
Print Post  
What’s up all? 

Got a couple of questions...

What’s everyone’s post ride maintenance? Is it just rinsing the bike off? Any lubing going on? Chain cleaning? Asking cause I got a new bike and just want to maintain it working as efficiently as possible.   

Bike came with a dropper post. Really like it. Never used one before. But I’m not quite sure I’m using it as effectively as I can. Does the top of the dropper post sit flush inside the bike frame? (I’m probably describing that wrong) right now if I drop the post then raise it back up when needed I find my self readjusting. Is that normal meaning are others doing that too or Is there a way it just comes back to my normal height? 

Sorry for the long newb post. 

Thanks.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

IP Logged

Bennyfranks

Re: Couple of questions...
Reply #1 - 09/07/20 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Answered my own question about the dropper post. Lol. Good old trial and error...

IP Logged

Metalmok
Coaster Bike

I would rather ride than
work

Reply #2 - 09/08/20 at 10:05am
Print Post  
I always spend about 10 minutes washing my bike down after every ride. Gentle spray from a hose, mild biodegradable dish soap in a spray bottle, I have a large Muck-off brush for cleaning most things, even the sidewalls of the tires, I have a smaller Park-tool brush for all of the other places I can't reach with the Large brush. After that I dry it with a clean towel and lube the chain.
All told takes about 10 minutes of TLC for a almost new looking bike all the time. I store it on the floor of my garage with the dropper post up. Every so often I use WPL Fork Boost on the fork and rear shock but not on the dropper! Check with your dropper manufacturer for maintenance or it.

Anyway, my 2 cents and my routine. My wife thinks I am crazy for babying my bike like this but for how much I spent on it, I want it to last as long as possible. I also find most of the problems with the bike during this 10 minutes of TLC...

Please consider the environment before you...

...play your Bluetooth speaker in the woods.

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #3 - 09/08/20 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Metal's doing it right. 

I don't. 

However I do try to clean the chain and the cassette/ rings after a few rides and re-lube the chain (get a good chain cleaning tool - about $25 I think - and use solution of simple green). Sometimes I re-lube after longer rides, or depending on trail conditions without cleaning (lazy). Keeping drivetrain clean keeps it running smooth and is where you can save some $ with regular attention. Check your chain streach regularly and replace chain when recommended to get the most life out of your cassette. If you wait too long, you're looking at a new drivetrain/ cassette.

Generally takes me a considerable amount of time to clean the entire bike cause I get lazy (and thirsty) after every ride.  Roll Eyes

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #4 - 09/08/20 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Advocat wrote on 09/08/20 at 5:06pm:
Metal's doing it right. 

I don't. 

However I do try to clean the chain and the cassette/ rings after a few rides and re-lube the chain (get a good chain cleaning tool - about $25 I think - and use solution of simple green). Sometimes I re-lube after longer rides, or depending on trail conditions without cleaning (lazy). Keeping drivetrain clean keeps it running smooth and is where you can save some $ with regular attention. Check your chain streach regularly and replace chain when recommended to get the most life out of your cassette. If you wait too long, you're looking at a new drivetrain/ cassette.

Generally takes me a considerable amount of time to clean the entire bike cause I get lazy (and thirsty) after every ride.  Roll Eyes

Agreed with advocats technique.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

Bennyfranks

Reply #5 - 09/08/20 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the responses everyone. Great information.

IP Logged

Metalmok
Coaster Bike

I would rather ride than
work

Reply #6 - 09/08/20 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
I use a wax based chain lube so my chain rarely gets very dirty, I just reapply after I wash the bike each time and rarely have to clean the chain. Most of the trails are closed around here if they are really muddy so unless I ride out of town and it's wet I don't usually need a heavy lube that attracts dirt.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 09/11/20 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Light rinse with the water hose after a ride.
No soap here..

Then I lightly wipe it dry with a microfiber cloth sprayed with a couple of sprays of spray wax, and then blow dry it gently to remove the remaining water with an old electric blower.
I also use an old greasy cloth to wipe the remaining water off the chain.
In total, takes me about 10 minutes.

After two or three rides, I clean and lightly lube the chain. 
I use a brush and Rock and Roll gold.

Of course, certain areas require a more thorough cleaning occasionally, if you want that show room look. But the above keeps my bikes looking almost new every time I ride.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #8 - 09/12/20 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Big Rock and Roll lube fan.  Less is more.  Apply to a clean chain and wipe off the excess.  Too much lube = gunk magnet

I do similar to Bush, although do use soap and don't use a blow dryer.

Use Pledge on my carbon frames, less for the shine, more for repelling dirt.  Learned that trick from a similar post a year or so back.

« Last Edit: 09/12/20 at 5:17pm by Robert C. »  

IP Logged

Metalmok
Coaster Bike

I would rather ride than
work

Reply #9 - 09/14/20 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Hmmm, Pledge is a good idea

IP Logged

Bonsai Nut
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 09/19/20 at 7:02am
Print Post  
Metalmok wrote on 09/14/20 at 8:08am:
Hmmm, Pledge is a good idea

Use this and thank me later Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

It is a no water car wash product that people use on really expensive cars in California Smiley  Use it on your bike and water won't stick to it.
« Last Edit: 09/19/20 at 7:08am by Bonsai Nut »  

“...there does seem to be a correlation between how hard people work for something and how much respect they have for it.” - Kioti
IP Logged

dave mac

Reply #11 - 09/19/20 at 9:34am
Print Post  
hit the bearings with lube every ride is the only thing I would add

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print