Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Practicing Drops (Read 1931 times)
Loz

Practicing Drops
09/20/20 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Is there any place in the area that you would recommend to practice drops for someone new to drops?  From what I've read, BYT exceeds my skill level but I'd love to be able to ride there at some point.  Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Fud

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Practicing Drops
Reply #1 - 09/20/20 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Fisher Farm in Davidson

IP Logged

Loz

Reply #2 - 09/21/20 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Thanks Fud

IP Logged

RaRa

Reply #3 - 09/22/20 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Also would be very helpful to go and watch ask questions! Just started learning to leave the ground and have been to ride Kanuga multiple times and the staff and riders there have helped me every time with any questions as would anyone would do here! The biggest thing that helped me was taking video of riders and when they would come back up to session the stuff again I would introduce myself and start asking questions and it has been so helpful!

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #4 - 09/23/20 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Loz wrote on 09/20/20 at 8:03pm:
Is there any place in the area that you would recommend to practice drops for someone new to drops?  From what I've read, BYT exceeds my skill level but I'd love to be able to ride there at some point.  Thanks in advance.

Hey Loz,  One of the ways I honed my drop technique was to take my mtb "to the streets" so to say.  It is true as you mentioned that there are not many drops in our local trail systems to learn on and build confidence.  There are however a plethora of objects you can drop off of in the urban environment to get some reps under your belt.

If you don't live in a built up area where you can ride out of your front door to a landscape (I live right near a small downtown with features to drop), check out the landscape of a large park near your house or a large shopping center (off peak hours).  Most large parks have some small stair sets or small retaining walls you can drop off of.  You can even drop off the side of a paved path if it has a bank that drops elevation on one side.  Get creative and it can be really fun!
« Last Edit: 09/23/20 at 1:53pm by TrillWill »  

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #5 - 09/24/20 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Bryant Neighborhood Park (just SW of Uptown) has a bunch of stone walls of varying height that are great for building up your skills.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

jdtree

Reply #6 - 10/02/20 at 10:07am
Print Post  
You might check out Rocky Branch in Belmont as well. There are a couple practice drops just behind the pump track. I haven't ridden them lately to comment how well "maintained" they are, but I used to hit these a couple times whenever I rode out there.

IP Logged

Loz

Reply #7 - 10/03/20 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Great ideas, thanks everyone!

IP Logged

mustbeme
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 10/07/20 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Cedar Valley has a nice drop on one of the trails after Sweet Leaf.  You can even go back and session if no one is behind you.
Spencer Mtn has a couple of drops that are a little more advanced and I have seen some dudes send deep with speed but not totally necessary
Below I made a small ramp that I take to some spots as step downs or even just to practice run up speed and how to gap little trail features etc

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 10/07/20 at 12:57pm by mustbeme »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print