Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Someone damaging trails in LKN SP (Read 1858 times)
Bonsai Nut
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Someone damaging trails in LKN SP
10/16/20 at 8:16am
Print Post  
I ride trails in Lake Norman State Park on a regular basis - in some cases I hit the same trails four times in a week.  Therefore I am intimately aware of trail conditions that others might miss.  Someone is pulling down trees and or/large branches and ripping up trail markers on the back loops - Wildlife, Fallstown and Fox.  (Note I am NOT talking about the downed trunks that are there as features of the trail and are designed to be bunny-hopped over).

I first noticed this a couple of weeks ago when I encountered a couple of smaller trees and branches across the trails, but they were small enough to pull off the trail and clear.  The trees were clearly snapped or pulled out of the ground, and they fell unnaturally - in some cases falling in the opposite direction of their lean.  The bark was scraped about 4' off the ground as if someone was pushing or grappling the tree.

I rode the back trails last Tuesday, but last Thursday found me on the opposite end of the park, and the rain this weekend closed the trails.  Back on the trails yesterday (Thursday) I encountered a small tree down on Wildlife that had been snapped above the roots.  It was small enough that other trail users had pulled it to the side of the trail.  As I progressed further, there were two larger trees blocking the trail completely on the back end of Fox loop (limbless dead trunks that were knocked onto the trail, showing the same signs of being purposefully "knocked over").  Moving onto the back half of Wildlife loop, trail marker #49 had been snapped off and left lying in the dirt (that is a 4" post someone busted in half).

In the short term we're going to need someone to clear the downed tree trunks, but at the same time we're going to have to put the word out to be on the watch for anyone messing with trees or trail signs in the back of the park.  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 10/16/20 at 8:38am by Bonsai Nut »  

“...there does seem to be a correlation between how hard people work for something and how much respect they have for it.” - Kioti
IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Re: Someone damaging trails in LKN SP
Reply #1 - 10/16/20 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Did  you report this to the RAngers. You can notify them at the visitor center.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

Bonsai Nut
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 10/16/20 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 10/16/20 at 1:21pm:
Did  you report this to the RAngers. You can notify them at the visitor center.

No I did not.  I ride from home, so most days I don't go into the visitor center lot.

I can send an email to the rangers... I have talked to them about wildlife subjects, but since this was a trail issue I thought I might try here first.

“...there does seem to be a correlation between how hard people work for something and how much respect they have for it.” - Kioti
IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #3 - 10/16/20 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
If a tree need a sawyer the rangers take care of it. The park requires chainsaw certification and there are only a couple in the club. (I am not).

tel:7045286350 is the phone to report.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

Vudu
Small Cog

Speed is the great equalizer

Reply #4 - 10/19/20 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Rode everything there yesterday - all trees cleared. Sign post #49 still down but off trail.
Ride on.

Slash 9.8 carbon
Rail 9.8 carbon

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #5 - 10/19/20 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Bonsai Nut wrote on 10/16/20 at 5:23pm:

No I did not.  I ride from home, so most days I don't go into the visitor center lot.

I can send an email to the rangers... I have talked to them about wildlife subjects, but since this was a trail issue I thought I might try here first.

Please report this to the Rangers!  They are the land managers and can deal with potential trail vandalism.  Our volunteers are generally working on specific projects as we have time.  The Rangers are at the park every day and can track the behavior.

Thanks!

-Will

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

Bonsai Nut
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 10/21/20 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Vudu wrote on 10/19/20 at 7:27am:
Rode everything there yesterday - all trees cleared. Sign post #49 still down but off trail.
Ride on.

Yeah I was about to report the exact same thing - as of yesterday trees cleared, trail sign moved to side of trail as if to be picked up.

Next time I see any trail funkiness, I will make sure to notify the rangers!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print