Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Floor Pump Recommendations - Tubeless (Read 1569 times)
Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Floor Pump Recommendations - Tubeless
11/02/20 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Looking for a floor pump recommendation.  I run tubeless, so need something that will help seat the bead.   

Also open to an air compressor recommendation I can use in combination with an existing pump to do the above.

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Re: Floor Pump Recommendations - Tubeless
Reply #1 - 11/02/20 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Never attempted to seat tubeless without a compressor.  I know it can be done, but I just don't have the patience and I have a compressor.  Small compressor with some storage capacity would do the trick, especially if you have tubeless ready tires.  Some tires can be stubborn.

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 11/03/20 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Pedro's Super Prestige Floor pump.  After living most of my cycling life with a crappy Joe Blow pump I found out what a real floor pump is like.
But-
Having said that if you just want to make tubeless life easier get most any 4 or 5 gallon sized air compressor if you have room in the garage.  I wouldn't want to play tubeless without one.

IP Logged

joncmack
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 11/03/20 at 9:26am
Print Post  
If you're open to a compressor and aren't planning to use it for any real tools, a small 3 gallon "pancake" style like this from Harbor Freight is all you'll need.  You don't need much capacity, just that quick burst of air for a couple seconds to pop the bead.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

mtn bikes should be dangerous.....deal with it.
AIM  
IP Logged

forkit
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #4 - 11/03/20 at 11:07am
Print Post  
I've always just used the co2 inflator bulbs I've had laying around.  The quick burst seals the bead enough that I can pump it up the rest with my floor pump.  I've had a joe blow pump, it still works after many years.  I'll try the pedro's when this one finally dies.

Has anyone mastered the explosion method?  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #5 - 11/03/20 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
I had a Joe Blow I loved that failed.  When I called them they told me that model was no longer made as it was issue prone.  They did not offer any type of warranty repair or credit toward another pump.  Kinda crappy IMO.  No longer a fan now given much better customer service experiences with competitors

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #6 - 11/03/20 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
I love my compressor to death, but the best thing I own for tubeless setups is a TubiBooster.  You'll still need a pump to fill it (any pump that does high pressure can do it), but it excels at blasting air into the tire like nobody's business.  Since you're putting it directly on the valve with no hose to restrict airflow, it's incredibly effective.

Super bonus is that you can take it on road trips.  It's been a lifesaver four or five times now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print