Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Springs running events (Read 876 times)
IntheBush
Big Ring

Springs running events
11/07/20 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Oh, you should have been out at Springs today on Prairie..
There was a running event going on.
Had no idea going in at YMCA, there was absolutely no signage and nobody in the shack.
Must have been 120 runners strung out along Prairie and Mill Pond around 10am and I seemingly had to pass every one of them. Everyone of them must have had two ear buds in.

Most were cool.

But one clown tried to bump my handlebar as I went by.. Another gave me a tongue lashing about the trail being closed to mountain bikes. Of course it wasn't. He was running with a big Siberian Husky, it must have been 70 degrees, poor dog with a DA owner.
It almost got ugly with his name calling and cussing. When I started to get off the bike, he started running a little faster.

Little to no signage of anything, except the normal 10k/5k signs at the start of Mill Pond. Which are often put out a day or two before any event.  Tongue

Apparently from what the front office told me, Springs doesn't close the trail for anybody during these events.. And apparently they don't do a good job of informing participants about the mixed use status of the trail or riders about the event occurring itself..
Rider beware.
« Last Edit: 11/07/20 at 7:57pm by IntheBush »  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Springs running events
Reply #1 - 11/08/20 at 10:08am
Print Post  
So we can assume these 120 runners hadn't read your previous half dozen posts about no ear buds and always staying to the right?   If you get so bothered by this sort of thing you should have bagged it when you realized there was a running event instead of batching about it here.  Bikes yield to runners if l'm not mistaken.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 11/08/20 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Obviously not. 
I don't think some attended or paid attention to the event briefing.. You know the part that says the trails are open during the run. Maybe they shouldn't be. 

Too late to bag it when your halfway around Prairie (one way trail) before you encounter a few disgruntled runners who think they alone, own the trail. And you shouldn't be there at all.

Heck, I had one situation where I came up behind a guy with his wife and daughter, and a giant baby stroller they were pushing down the trail, with 5-10 runners in a pack coming in the opposite direction on a single track trail with trees on either side.. Of course I yielded. It wasn't easy. I almost had to stop and dismount to wait for everybody to clear. One of the runners decided to give my handlebar a bump as he went by. Fortunately I'm not a weak guy, and it could have been inadvertent. But the point is, courtesy and good sense is a two way street. 

Clearly the problem was a lack of communication by Springs, and a few runners that don't think sharing the trail with mountain bikers is kosher. 

30 miles of trails at Springs, and whomever runs the head office seems to think it's a great idea to have a running event on the few miles of open mountain bike trail. Geez. 

I usually ride during the week and not on Saturdays for this reason. But my scheduled got mixed up and I ended up over there.. Maybe it will help some other rider avoid problems with other trail users that at the very least need some medication or an education.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #3 - 11/13/20 at 10:30am
Print Post  
I rode Sunday not during an event and it could have been the good weather, but encountered far more walkers (big groups) than usual and it reminded me that I should go to a different trail next time.  Regardless of how you pass them, when they are clueless it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  Springs is very convenient for me, but perhaps a bit to trendy now that they've ramped up marketing their trail pass.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print