Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic What’s left of the Harrisburg Half trails? (Read 1275 times)
pearl
Little Ring

What’s left of the Harrisburg Half trails?
12/29/20 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
With all the construction finished, what, if anything, is left to ride in that spot? I see the original half mile loop is still available, but what about the new stuff that was cut?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Re: What’s left of the Harrisburg Half trails?
Reply #1 - 12/30/20 at 10:09am
Print Post  
I walked the property last month.  So as you've seen, the short track is still there, and the Cabarrus County NICA team is maintaining it as our home training facility.

So, we built the west side trails based on the original plan they gave us.  We attempted to route around the features laid out on that master plan.   

Then the master plan changed, about a dozen times.  The new trail between the creek crossings and the soccer fields was wiped out and is now under 20 feet of dirt.  They haven't started construction on the other side of the creek, and the trail is still there as it was the last time we rode it before construction started, but it's grown up and trees are down. 

The issue is that there is no easy access to it because they had blocked off the various pathways to ride a bike across the creek. Culverts and erosion fencing everywhere.  You can kind of get there, but to create a non-hike-a-bike pathway will take a decent amount of work.  Also, rehabbing the existing trail and clearing will take many days of weed whacking and cutting.  A lot of work we had originally put into it has been wiped out, so I have zero confidence that they won't go in and wipe out everything that's left.  With the pandemic and budgetary issues, no one has a clue what the timeline for continuing construction is going to be. There has also been a shakeup with the original P&R leaders, which kind of sets things back to square one.  It's obvious that MTB trails aren't truly part of their plan, and if there are any after construction is completed, it will be built from leftover scraps.

TC Jason Marshall has scoped out possible reroutes to make it rideable again, and I'm sure if someone wanted to volunteer the time to clear it off, he wouldn't say no. You'd have a rideable location that you could trash in the mud while everything else is closed.  For how long, who knows.

I'm directing my time and kid-based manpower in Concord where we have a solid plan and buy-in from the city, and we know our hard work isn't going to fall to a bulldozer any day.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 12/30/20 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Bummer to hear all your man hours went mostly down the drain! I'm temporarily moving 2 miles away as the crow flies and thought it would be a cool place to rip around on the cyclocross bike when its too cold to hit the road. 

I did find a trail that led into that Pepsi Way road, and also not too worried about jumping over train tracks.

If I get really bored during my lunch rides, maybe i'll go out with loppers and make it something to ride!
« Last Edit: 12/30/20 at 11:19am by pearl »  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #3 - 12/30/20 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Definitely a bummer, sorry to hear about this situation.

You can see why advocacy to our local governments is so important.  If Harrisburg considered the mtb trail a true recreational asset (like soccer fields, tennis courts, etc.) the town could have been a partner in allocating resources to make sure the local NICA team still had a place to practice.

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Reply #4 - 12/30/20 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 12/30/20 at 11:16am:

I did find a trail that led into that Pepsi Way road, and also not too worried about jumping over train tracks.

If I get really bored during my lunch rides, maybe i'll go out with loppers and make it something to ride!

The Pepsi side bandit access is still there and existed before we built the trail but I've never been to the final western terminus because it was on private property.  Someone has been using that access and building gap jumps across the creek by the Pepsi facility.   

There are two things you need to do to make a complete loop from the pepsi side, 1) get a weedeater with a brush blade and clear off the flat top of the pipeline, that will give you a connection from the corner to the northern side 2) bushwhack a connector between the two old creek crossings near the soccer fields. This would be at the bottom of the hills after the switch back climbs and descents.  I scoped it out, it's doable, and would make for a nice ride.

It would be an amazing place if someone had the time and inclination to work for funsies, but I feel a little burned, and want to put my efforts towards building for things that will be there for a while.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #5 - 01/01/21 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
TrillWill wrote on 12/30/20 at 12:01pm:
Definitely a bummer, sorry to hear about this situation.

You can see why advocacy to our local governments is so important.  If Harrisburg considered the mtb trail a true recreational asset (like soccer fields, tennis courts, etc.) the town could have been a partner in allocating resources to make sure the local NICA team still had a place to practice.

Sad thing is they were to begin with.  Seems we've been cast to the wayside.  Might be a good project for you and I to schedule a meeting with TOH P&R and see if we can get some better communication from them. Smiley

Mark

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Reply #6 - 01/01/21 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Mark, Get with Jason.  He's been checking in with TOH P&R every once in a while, so he has a better handle on the situation and has been working on ways to reconnect the trail.  I've been told P&R has had leadership changes and there has been friction with City Council.  No details.

Jason has also been trying to get a pump track built, but that plan and location have also changed no fewer than 5 times since it was approved.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print