Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Kayak Travel Question (Read 1056 times)
Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Kayak Travel Question
03/24/21 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Have 2 new 10' recreational/ flatwater kayaks to transport on my Tahoe and wondering if its necessary to use bow and stern tie downs for highway driving if I have a good rack system and good straps. Will use Malone J-bar mounts. I guess I get "recommended", but has anyone ever seen or know of a situation where they saved the day?

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

Dennis
In The Loop

Re: Kayak Travel Question
Reply #1 - 03/24/21 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
When MJ and I travel with our 12’ boats we only tie down the bow. There are tie downs available that bolt under (to the side) of your hood so you don’t have to go to the bumper. Better to be safe. I go through the physics calcs in my head and this gives me peace of mind.

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #2 - 03/24/21 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
I have 18 an 19’ kayaks. I upgraded the main hull straps to those with internal cables and locks and have used Thule hilla port and now Roll model racks. Going on 15 years of not using the bow straps with no issues. Just ensure you wrap the hull strap around the roof rails too.

I'm glad that this is an environment where you feel free to fail.

IP Logged

49erRider1

Reply #3 - 03/25/21 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
All I can tell you is all of us whitewater kayakers don't use them and our boats make it just fine.  Even my 13' race boat.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #4 - 03/26/21 at 11:37am
Print Post  
What are the thoughts on transporting in the bed of a pickup?  Tailgate down or up?

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #5 - 03/30/21 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies! Have to look into the hull straps with cable and locks. Like the idea of the locks so can leave the boats unattended in some circumstances.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print