Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trail Dogs (Read 4522 times)
Suprider

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Trail Dogs
04/16/21 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Anyone have strong opinions here? Took my puppy on the trail for the first time today and she really enjoyed it. Don't want to bother others though.

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Re: Trail Dogs
Reply #1 - 04/16/21 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
I think it's less about opinions and more about leash laws.  Lots of our local trails are in city parks that likely have a leash law.

Once you know a spot well enough there may be room to get out real early in the morning to get a rip in with the pup while the park is empty.

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 04/16/21 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Well, I think puppies off the leash is problematic on a public mountain bike trial.

They don't have enough coordination or experience to avoid getting run over.
They can be hard to spot too.
I wouldn't want to be that guy.

But like TwillWill points out, leash laws are there for a reason.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 04/16/21 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Suprider wrote on 04/16/21 at 1:40pm:
Anyone have strong opinions here? Took my puppy on the trail for the first time today and she really enjoyed it. Don't want to bother others though.

Yes.  Most trails are already overcrowded with legal trail users. Take her to the Bark Park made just for her.   
The laws are for the dogs safety as well as others as she could get by a car in the parking lot off leash.   There was a post on FB not long ago where the traildog was killed when hit by a car in the National Forest sadly.  It was presented as the motorists fault, when actually it was the irresponsible dog owners fault for putting the pet in danger in the road, off leash, illegally.   

I share this since you asked.  Most will do whatever they believe works for THEM.

IP Logged

forkit
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 04/16/21 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Trail dogs are awesome.  I wish my pup could chase me on the bike, but my wife says his hips are a disaster in the making.   I wouldn't trail dog on wwc, beatty, or other heavily walkered trails.

IP Logged

Scott77

Reply #5 - 04/17/21 at 5:44am
Print Post  
Love a good dog.  However, came up on unleashed dog on trail last year, it got scared and tried to take a bite out of my leg.  Got a little scratch from one of his teeth.  Was in a city park (North Meck).

IP Logged

DeVinci
Coaster Bike

Old as time and still
riding

Reply #6 - 04/19/21 at 8:34am
Print Post  
see them all the time out at sherman - mostly well mannered but I almost crashed when one bolted past me at full speed on the trail.  Bottom line the owner must understand they are 100% liable for anything that happens due to their dog being illegaly off leash. (sherman is a nature preserve with a strict leash law)

Life is like riding a bicycle.  To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
A. Einstein 1879-1955

IP Logged

Suprider

Reply #7 - 04/20/21 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback on this. All very helpful to a first-time dog owner.

IP Logged

JeffKill
Small Cog

Reply #8 - 07/03/21 at 6:44pm
Print Post  

Wanted to bump this thread after the confrontation I had out at Rocky River this morning.  I almost ran over a dog that was running full speed the wrong way down the trail.   

Just because Steve allows people to have dogs back there doesn’t mean it’s a good idea when your dog isn’t properly trained to be off leash (especially on a busy morning).  You’re really putting your dog in harms way.   

My concern wasn’t even for myself or other riders, it was for the dog.  I’d feel like royal crap if I hurt or killed someone’s dog.   

If your dog isn’t properly trained to be off leash and stick right with you, a public trail isn’t a good place to let them run free.  If your dog gets injured on a public trail it’s no one’s fault but the owner.  Riders aren’t expecting a dog to come sprinting head on at them. 

I’ve seen plenty of good trail dogs that never leave their owners.  I’m not against trail dogs.  They can be properly trained. 

The dogs owner told me the trail was 20 ft wide and I had plenty of room to go around his dog.  Apparently he thought we were at Sherman.

Without pain, I'd never know what comfort was.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #9 - 07/04/21 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Its obvious the pet owner doesn't care about you or his pet.  Feel free to respond accordingly.
« Last Edit: 07/04/21 at 8:33am by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 07/04/21 at 11:08am
Print Post  
I'd rather you run over the owner.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #11 - 07/12/21 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a bunch of “Karen’s” on bikes. Too bad that “mountain bikers” have become too soft to hang with the occasional pooch on a trail.  There was a time, once, when humans on mechanized transport didn’t fear domesticated pets. Just lawyer up and take your chances out there in “the wild”. HEAVEN FORBID, you may run across an E-biker with a “vicious” Golden Retriever. Or a nasty cat “off leash”. SACK UP LADIES.
« Last Edit: 07/12/21 at 10:51pm by 808golden »  

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #12 - 07/13/21 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
808golden wrote on 07/12/21 at 10:49pm:
Sounds like a bunch of “Karen’s” on bikes. Too bad that “mountain bikers” have become too soft to hang with the occasional pooch on a trail.  There was a time, once, when humans on mechanized transport didn’t fear domesticated pets. Just lawyer up and take your chances out there in “the wild”. HEAVEN FORBID, you may run across an E-biker with a “vicious” Golden Retriever. Or a nasty cat “off leash”. SACK UP LADIES.

Some folks just have a problem with those that can't seem to follow common sense and posted rules in public areas..
You know, before something unfortunate happens.

Speaking of ebikes and dogs.

Hey Enoch, a couple of weeks back I was out at Sherman and there were a couple of guys with ebikes getting ready to ride. They had a trail dog tagging along too. 

This kind of stuff is kosher out at Sherman Branch now?  Huh

IP Logged

JeffKill
Small Cog

Reply #13 - 07/14/21 at 11:07am
Print Post  
808golden wrote on 07/12/21 at 10:49pm:

My main concern was for the dog.  Have any idea what a brake rotor will do to a dogs head in a head on collision?  It won't end well.  Use some common sense.  Or just run your mouth on the internet.  I don't care  Roll Eyes

Without pain, I'd never know what comfort was.

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #14 - 07/21/21 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
There used to be a link to some squirrel vs. rotor vids on here back in the day.  Now that is a realistic scenario. Never have I heard/seen of a dog/trail dog getting diced up in a bikes rotors. Meow.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 07/22/21 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
808golden wrote on 07/21/21 at 3:11pm:
There used to be a link to some squirrel vs. rotor vids on here back in the day.  Now that is a realistic scenario. Never have I heard/seen of a dog/trail dog getting diced up in a bikes rotors. Meow.

This happened at Cane Creek park a few months ago. 
Some clown thought it was a great idea to allow his dog to around off leash to get a little exercise. It attacked the horse that was pulling a carriage with children inside. It won a Darwin award. The horse stomped the dog to death.

Update:

"The dog was put down and the wife who was doing the carriage ride suffered a head injury, broken foot and other injuries. The horse, named "queen Charlotte" had 15 bite marks on her but made a good recovery. The dog owners didn't abide by park rules of all dogs on a leash unless at a dog park. The dog attacked. The carriage ride owner is planning to sue the dog owners for injuries and neglects of following park rules."
« Last Edit: 07/22/21 at 9:37pm by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #16 - 09/21/21 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
I think the text of that would have been enough. Too bad people train pits to be bad dogs. Not at all on topic but sad overall.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #17 - 09/21/21 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
You mean it's off topic because it doesn't match your Goldilocks world view of dogs?
Sure it's on topic..
Since leashes are required on virtually all public trails.

This dog was not trained to be a bad dog..
In fact, he had probably been off the leash many times at Cane Creek where horses are common and had never attacked anything.
I agree the owners are irresponsible, but only for allowing him off the leash.

Most owners don't think it could ever be their dog that would do something like this.

The fact is, all dogs can be unpredictable in certain circumstances. Especially male dogs. And the world they see is different than you or I. That's why there is a leash law. 
And that's why all responsible dog owners comply with it.

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #18 - 09/28/21 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Suck it Bushey

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #19 - 09/28/21 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Chicks only, dude..

What are you, 3 years old?

There's no age limit here?
There should be.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print