Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Beech Mountain - Emerald Outback - Meh? (Read 1440 times)
Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Beech Mountain - Emerald Outback - Meh?
08/02/21 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Rode the Emerald Outback trails (not Beech downhill) and found a serious lack of flow, likely will not go back given all the other choices in NC.  Great scenery though, and certainly lower temps / humidity.

Thoughts if you've been?

IP Logged

Vudu
Small Cog

Speed is the great equalizer

Re: Beech Mountain - Emerald Outback - Meh?
Reply #1 - 08/02/21 at 7:55am
Print Post  
When did you ride? Was up there yesterday in hopes of some DH but nothing but rain the whole time. Thought about hitting the Emerald trails but grabbed some lunch & a brew instead. Guess I didn’t miss too much.
« Last Edit: 08/02/21 at 7:56am by Vudu »  

Slash 9.8 carbon
Rail 9.8 carbon

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #2 - 08/02/21 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Friday.  Rocky Knob is the better value IMO

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #3 - 08/02/21 at 11:28am
Print Post  
The Emerald Outback trails are some of my favorites in the state.  The high elevation, cool temps, and unique topography really bring out the mountain in mountain biking.

With that said it is not intuitive at all to put together a great route there.  I've been riding those trails since they came back to life in 2009 and they have changed and expanded in major ways numerous times since they were re opened.  The trail maps aren't very good and I don't know of any real good resources that outline the best routes there.  

There is great riding there with a mix of big rock features, smooth jumps, and rooty texture if you know where to go and how to link it up.  There is a cool descent called the west bowl that I typically end my rides up there with that dumps you out below the resort with a 15-20 minute pedal back to the resort.

A couple of quick notes:
  • Ride the whistle pig trail that starts at the bikepark and goes down the oz slope to start an outback ride if you're already at the bike park.  Turn right at the bottom and pedal up Oz rd to either get back to the resort or enter the Emerald Outback trails at multiple location

• Oz forest run has a really fun downhill with unique "turtle rock" types features to roll on and over

• Witches Backbone and Witches Tail is a really fun DH that has multiple jump lines within.  Witches Tail is the best of the jumps and can be looped using a gravel road

• Southern Ridge is a slog in either direction, lol

« Last Edit: 08/02/21 at 11:49am by TrillWill »  

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #4 - 08/02/21 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
TrillWill wrote on 08/02/21 at 11:28am:
The Emerald Outback trails are some of my favorites in the state.  The high elevation, cool temps, and unique topography really bring out the mountain in mountain biking.

With that said it is not intuitive at all to put together a great route there.  I've been riding those trails since they came back to life in 2009 and they have changed and expanded in major ways numerous times since they were re opened.  The trail maps aren't very good and I don't know of any real good resources that outline the best routes there.  

• Southern Ridge is a slog in either direction, lol

Yeah, this.  You nailed it.

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #5 - 08/03/21 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Not sure if the video is any good but just saw it posted.  Oz Forest Run is a really fun piece of the Emerald Outback. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

Vudu
Small Cog

Speed is the great equalizer

Reply #6 - 08/04/21 at 7:51am
Print Post  
I watched the video from the link & several others of EOB trails I found on YouTube - looks like some decent runs to be had. Just don't know where they dump you out at or which options to take when there's a fork in the trail. Or even where you park if you wanna do some shuttle runs since it seems kind of a waste to buy a lift ticket to access those specific trails. But what do I know Roll Eyes

Slash 9.8 carbon
Rail 9.8 carbon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print