Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Advice for first bike (Read 900 times)
Dom

Advice for first bike
11/19/21 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Thanks for the add.  We just moved to the concord area from Fayetteville last year. I've been wanting to get into the sport and what better time than now??? (heavy sarcasm). I've been doing research on the best value budget bikes (under $1000) and seemed to keep being pointed towards the Vitus Nucleus VR. Most of the articles deemed this the best value entry hardtail, however, at that time it was retailing for $650. It now retails for $799 on their website and this is before tax and $130 shipping.

With that being said, I started to search used to save some money. So I found a 2021 Vitus Nucleus VR within driving distance. However, they are asking $875... Their reasoning for this price is after shipping and tax the bike costs more like $999. I know there is a crazy low supply with high demand making used and new bikes now more expensive but IF the bike is in mint condition, do you think this is a decent price in our current market or for that kind of money should I just go new or even fork out a little extra cash for a better bike? Such as the used 2021 Cannondale Trail 4 SE I found on PB for $1050?

TL;DR: Found a used 2021 Vitus Nucleus VR for $875, they retail for $799 pre-tax and shipping. Is this a decent price and starter bike or should I look elsewhere?

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Re: Advice for first bike
Reply #1 - 11/20/21 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Plenty of quality bikes on pinkbike or craigslist under $1000.  If you're new to mtb'ing, get a bike that's cheap and comfortable and ride it. In time, you'll get a better idea of what you want and then spend more money.  You may enjoy jumping, but if you buy something more cross country, its not going to jump well and it probably won't survive a big hit.  You may not either.  Don't spend a lot of money until you know you're going to stay with it.

IP Logged

Dom

Reply #2 - 11/20/21 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the input, it's a bit intimidating looking at used ones that have been upgraded as I have no idea what good parts are and what the cost was. I found this one on FB marketplace: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
Here's the post description:
Selling my Fuji Tahoe 1.1. It’s a 2015 model. Excellent overall condition. 17” frame. 1x10 drivetrain. 27.5” tubeless tires. Very light weight. This bike is a steal at $650. Nearly every component has been upgraded. Upgrades include:

Rock Shox Reba Solo Air 120mm Fork
27.5” Stans Arch EX Wheels
Stans 3.30 Hubs
SLX Rear Derailleur and Shifter
XTR Crankset
XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes
Race Face Atlas Bars
Race Face Atlas Stem
Oury Grips
Ergon Saddle
Carbon Seat Post
Continental Mountain King 2.4 Front Tire
Maxxis Ikon 2.35 Rear Tire
Shimano SPD Pedals 

I know they say geometry has come very far in the last 5 years and this is a 6 year old bike. Not sure if I'd even notice though since this would be my first bike. Thoughts?

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 11/22/21 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
If it's in good shape and not stolen I would say this is a very good deal. 

It's an XC bike. Nothing wrong with the geometry, and will handle almost anything in the area.

The upgrades you want for general trail riding are already done.

After you buy it, or preferably before if possible, take it up to the bike shop and have the mechanic check it out for you. It's called a safety check and shouldn't cost more than a few bucks, well spent.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #4 - 11/22/21 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Agreed.  Solid upgrades.

IP Logged

Dom

Reply #5 - 11/29/21 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Thank you everyone for the advice! Picked up the bike today for $650, he even swapped the SPD pedals for some red OneUp platform pedals so it's ready for me to start riding! I took it for a test ride and nothing seems off but I definitely want to take it to a local bike shop for a safety check before hitting the trails. Does it matter if the bike shop doesn't sell that brand of bike? In this case Fuji. I imagine any shop can do a safety check regardless of brand? 

Any recommendations for a preferred bike shop? I am in Kannapolis so the closest one to me is a Giant dealer called The Right Gear Bike Shop.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 11/29/21 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Dom wrote on 11/29/21 at 4:02pm:
Thank you everyone for the advice! Picked up the bike today for $650, he even swapped the SPD pedals for some red OneUp platform pedals so it's ready for me to start riding! I took it for a test ride and nothing seems off but I definitely want to take it to a local bike shop for a safety check before hitting the trails. Does it matter if the bike shop doesn't sell that brand of bike? In this case Fuji. I imagine any shop can do a safety check regardless of brand? 

Any recommendations for a preferred bike shop? I am in Kannapolis so the closest one to me is a Giant dealer called The Right Gear Bike Shop.

Doesn't matter at all. 

Not familiar with the shops in the Kannapolis area.
But 'the Right Gear' bike shop gets very good reviews and seems to be a locally owned and operated shop.
Just ask for Jim. 
Tell him you picked it up used and ask him to check it out for you..
And tell him a friend referred you.  Wink

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print