Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic 2006 in Review and the Year Ahead (Read 1597 times)
flyinelvis
Forum Administrator
In The Loop
Project Board

Speed is your friend!

2006 in Review and the Year Ahead
01/03/07 at 2:31am
Print Post  
It is hard to believe that yet another year has passed.  2006 was a banner year for the Trailblazers and mountain biking in general in the Metro Charlotte region.  Some of the highlights include:

A new contract with Charlotte Meck Park & Recreation was signed.

We worked to re-establish and construct new connector trails at the re-opened USNWC (Catawba).

We continued to strengthen our relationship with our sister club, The Dirt Divas.  YOU Gals Rock!

We worked to establish a relationship with our Freeride friends at PASA, to assist them in procuring opportunities to excite the Big Hit segment of mountain biking.

We acquired a Bobcat, a $15K donation from our friends at Ingersol Rand.

We negotiated a new club insurance contract. 

We recently agreed to absorb the Crossroads Cycle Club (CCC) that has been instrumental in the construction of the Itusi and ongoing construction of the Monbo Trail system at Lake Norman State Park.

With the incorporation of the CCC we have taken on the responsibility of insurance for their growing wealth of mechanized equipment.

We held the 1st Annual Bike! Summit – during Bike! Charlotte.  A HUGE success!

We oversaw the construction of three new bridges in our trails, built by Eagle Scout candidates.

We were awarded a $60K RTP Grant with $10K in matching funds for construction of a trail system at Mt. Holly.

We realized a significant increase in our bank account due to an increase in membership and donations from caring individuals throughout the riding community.

We constructed a new trail system at Sherman Branch that is proving to be a single speeders paradise.

We are currently working on the construction of mountain bike/mountain trike trails for the physically challenged at Jetton Park in Cornelius.

We increased our tool cache with purchases of McCloud’s (fire rake/hoe combination) and Pulaski’s (pick type of tool).

We continued to market the club by selling over 300 jerseys and other related Trailblazer apparel.

But with the good, comes some bad.  In 2007, we are facing the potential loss of over a mile of trail at Renaissance as the Tyvola Road Coliseum is razed and the grounds prepared for a new community.  We are currently in a bit of a dog fight over the proposed trails at Mt. Holly, as we lock horns with the US Forest Service.  We are in constant need of legal advice as we plod through the legalese of contracts.  We are always looking for individuals to search out and write grant applications.  We are in need of individuals to step forward as trail coordinators, to claim a trail and maintain it as your own.  We need individuals to come forward in a myriad of positions, to grow the club.  How do you fit in?

As we push forward into a new year we would like to offer everyone that uses any of the local trails the opportunity to support the club by renewing their current membership or joining the club for the first time. Chances are if you reading this, you have already seen what the Trailblazers can and have accomplished.  Our mission statement plainly states we are here to provide the area with some the best mountain bike trails around.  Assist us in continuing our momentum by joining or renewing your membership, today.  When you’re riding a $2500 bike, what’s an additional $20 to make certain that your riding opportunities continue to expand or that the current trails that your know and love are properly maintained over the months/years to come.   

Your support is vital and is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Tom Mathews, President
Tarheel Trailblazers
« Last Edit: 01/03/07 at 2:31am by flyinelvis »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

When I was a kid, I prayed for a bicycle.  When I learned it didn't work that way, I stole one and asked God to forgive me...
IP Logged

Paul Bellin
Little Ring

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: 2006 in Review and the Year Ahead
Reply #1 - 01/03/07 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Well said and well written (if I could think of a third "well" I could tell you the old story about the three holes: well, well, well....OK, sorry, but caffeine is a dangerous drug...). I think we should put this in some sort of communication to our local bike shops and other supporters to help get the word out. If we could get some of the shops to put this (or parts of it) in their e-mail newsletters that would help spread the word. If Neal Boyd and others would add it to their e-mail lists, that's even more. I wouldn't even be opposed to having some of the developers or Parks & Rec depts in the area see this (editing out anything that might offend their respetive interests...). Tom, thanks for summing it all up so eloquently and putting all in there so....well.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

hardtales
Coaster Bike

All I smell is boogers

Reply #2 - 01/03/07 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Yes, well done! That's a lot...
Looking forward to getting  more involved in 2007!

WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

JakeK
Small Cog

OutofShape

Reply #3 - 01/04/07 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I am in agreement with the idea of Bike Shops supporting the local trail builders and heading up trail efforts. I know we will be keeping a close watch on the Huntersville area trail system and will be glad to volunteer any extra time to any cause you have; Tom.

I don't know if it has been mentioned before but there are meetings going on in your towns for the planning and development of trails and safe road routes. Usually this is a steering comitee of some sort and is involved with the local governing body or town board. Please inquire or join with them to make sure that the cyclists' voice is heard in your town. 

The reality of the situation is; if you want to be heard and have more of the lifestyle you want to live actually come to pass; you have to be involved with your community. Please voice your opinions and let the cyclists' voice be heard to improve our facilities and routes so we have a way to ride to destinations; not just trails or loops. I see a community that wants to have the option of riding their bikes to the movies or stores. I want to ride my bike every where! Well, enough about me; thanks for the ear and thanks to the Trailblazers!

Here are a few links I thought may help.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Jake Kilgore
iRide CYCLES
704-947-2865

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #4 - 01/04/07 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
You mean like this?   Wink

Quote:
B.I.K.E.S. Board of Directors Monthly Meeting  - Dowd YMCA / Morehead Street - Main Lounge first floor - 6:30- 8:00 - food avail in snack bar
Important meeting to discuss a Strategic Planning Workshop:  * when -where-who will be facilitator - who to invite - what to discuss - how long to take- etc.etc. Should take an hour for this discussion with goal of firming everything up. 

[ * This workshop will chart the short and long-term vision,goals and strategies for BIKES and will be an update of the successful 6-hour workshop held  n 2001 and led by John thingy, a Charlotte bicycle advocate; we should be following roughly the same format this time around ] .....

Other items on the agenda (as time allows) : 
Update on formation of NC statewide BikePed nonprofit 
Update on efforts to put full-service bike facilities at Duke Power, Wachovia and BofA buildings in Uptown 
Formation of (North Mecklenburg ) - S.A.F.E. bicycle advocacy group 
Year-end financial statement 
Cycle Charlotte festival -2007 

MARTIN ZIMMERMAN / Executive Director

I'm planning on going.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Abunai
Little Ring

Japanese for "dangerous",
mostly to myself.

Reply #5 - 01/04/07 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
If you plan on going to the B.I.K.E.S. meeting please RSVP tp Martin Zimmerman (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) to make sure there is enough room. I will be there as well.
« Last Edit: 01/04/07 at 8:31pm by Abunai »  

If you don't want to see it, don't look!

IP Logged

Vasco
Global Moderator
In The Loop
Project Board

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - 01/05/07 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
All was accomplished by having leadership with vision and drive. And a lot of hard work by members who understand we only can ride what we built and are will to give up so ride time for the betterment of the cycling community. Job well done!
Doug S.

Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control it's the way I wired.

IP Logged

cmowery3
Big Ring

I wanna ride!

Reply #7 - 01/05/07 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Vasco wrote on 01/05/07 at 4:39pm:
All was accomplished by having leadership with vision and drive. And a lot of hard work by members...  

Well said!

Ride & Smile...

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #8 - 01/08/07 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks to everyone who helped, whether a little or a lot!!

Thanks Tom for all the hard work and time you committed to making 2006 so successful. Thanks also, perhaps even more, for stepping up again for 2007!  Wow! Cheesy

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print