Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Jetton Trail wins National Award (Read 951 times)
Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Jetton Trail wins National Award
06/23/09 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Here is a message received late last week from Greg Jackson at Mecklenburg County Park & Rec!

We are proud to announce that the Jetton accessible mountain bike trail has won a National Association of Counties award for unique program.  Certainly this would not have happened without the Tarheel Trailblazers leadership.  I think Michael Kirschman from our dept. will be attending this awards ceremony and we would certainly extend this invitation to a TT representative.  Unfortunately, we cannot help with any travel expenses, but if someone is interested in going to Nashville for the July 26 awards, let me know. 

Please share this with the appropriate folks, especially Tom Matthews.  I thought I had an email address for Tom, but couldn't find it.  Thanks again for all the great work you and your volunteers do to make mountain biking the great experience it is here in Meck. County. 

Greg Jackson
Gregory.Jackson@MecklenburgCountyNC.Gov
Division Director, Park Operations & Athletic Services
5841 Brookshire Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28216
(O) 704.336.5471
(F) 704.336.5472

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

As many of you know, even though this is only a one mile trail, Tom and his team willingly took on this project and made it a very special and unique one. Responding to a question from a paralyzed rider who attended the community outreach meeting to plan the trail, Tom determined that we could not only design and build a trail suitable for adaptive hand cycle use, but we should also take on the responsibility to raise $10,000 in donated funds for 2 hand cycles.  

This may be the only specially built adaptive use mountain bike trail in the country and Charlotte is likely among very few communities where state of the art hand cycles are available free of charge for disabled area residents to be able to participate in mountain biking. 

Additionally, Tom and his crew designed the trail to include displays of many different trail building techniques so it could be used as an instructive guide to show land managers and others how trail features such as bridging, raised structures, armored and other tread surfaces can be built to create sustainable trail that address many different trail building challenges. We will continue to use this one mile trail as a showpiece for others, and a reminder for ourselves, of just what can be done.

All of the Tarheel Trailblazers can be proud of the club's accomplishment, which is the direct result of the partnerships with our land managers and the vision and hard work of our members.

Jim Grover
President, Tarheel Trailblazers

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

George
Small Cog

Lets Ride.

Re: Jetton Trail wins National Award
Reply #1 - 06/23/09 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
BRAVO.  Even though I am new, it makes me feel good to be a part of such a great group of people

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

cmowery3
Big Ring

I wanna ride!

Reply #2 - 06/23/09 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Very nice!  Congrats to the club & Mecklenburg P&R.

Can I suggest the club send Tom to the ceremony?  I just checked airfares - CLT to BNA (Nashville) - less than $200!!!

Ride & Smile...

IP Logged

LessNew2this
Big Ring

Man, that was NOT a good
line....

Reply #3 - 06/23/09 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
cmowery3 wrote on 06/23/09 at 5:33pm:

Can I suggest the club send Tom to the ceremony?  I just checked airfares - CLT to BNA (Nashville) - less than $200!!! 

2nd   Smiley

....whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government...Declaration of Independence

IP Logged

TheMutt
In The Loop

Reply #4 - 06/23/09 at 8:06pm
Print Post  

3rd!  Smiley We should absolutely send Tom (not against his will, of course.)  Smiley

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #5 - 06/23/09 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
I say we box 'em up and send him UPS  Smiley

Way to go team

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

stonepaver
Small Cog

34 x 18,19,20,21 (depends)

Reply #6 - 06/23/09 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
First Class Effort.  Well done!  Smiley

IP Logged

kawsakimx6
Big Ring

Just cause i can't do
it, don't mean i won't
try.

Reply #7 - 06/24/09 at 2:04am
Print Post  
way to go  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

fattirz
Little Ring
In The Loop

I'm not fat... I'm BIG
BONED!!!

Reply #8 - 06/24/09 at 1:02pm
Print Post  

4th that (If he's interested in going).... Awesome news for our fine club!

Every ride is a good ride... some are just better than others!
YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print