Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Help Wanted - Trail Coordinator for Beatty (Read 1872 times)
EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

You know you'll feel better
if you ride today.....

Help Wanted - Trail Coordinator for Beatty
11/15/10 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Our club has a need for someone to volunteer to take over as the trail coordinator for the trail at Colonel Francis J. Beatty Community Park. 

You don't have to be a trail building expert to take on this role. We'll help train anyone that's interested. If someone is interested there's a great opportunity this weekend to learn some of the basics at the IMBA Trail School at Lake Norman State Park. Details of this event are located on our Home page under "Latest News".

We can also provide some one on one training by our more experienced trail coordinators.

The time commitment can vary, but on average requires about 4 to 8 hours a month, and you can recruit helpers that could adopt certain sections of the trail to keep an eye on. 

What the heck would the trail coordinator do? A big part of the role is just keeping an eye on the trail for spots that may hold water and need to worked on, erosion, keeping an eye on any bridges or structures on the trail..i.e., if you feel a bridge getting wobbly when you ride over it, and helping coordinate any trailwork days where you want to have a big push for something.

You don't need to know how to build bridges or structures, although that would be a major plus. If you find a bridge that you think needs some attention as an example, and don't know what to do, we can bring out experienced trail coordinators and trail workers to help out. A lot of the role is just keeping an eye on the trail, and we'll teach you what to look for in regards to things that need to be addressed.

If interested or have questions, please post up a response, or send me a PM. If you've ever wanted to really know how all this stuff works, here's your chance. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

One gear really is enough..but my knees have forced me to go 1x10.

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Re: Help Wanted - Trail Coordinator for Beatty
Reply #1 - 11/16/10 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
While I cannot commit to the time required to be full time trail coordinator, I will be happy to help lead a dedicated [u]team [/u]of individuals to assist in maintaining beatty. I DO have both Trail and Structure building experience and access to a light duty chainsaw.

Come on guys. You know you hammer this trail. Help keep it healthy. I have 3 kids, a wife, a dog and a serious riding habit to support and I'm going to help out.  

Time to step up. Many hands make light work. I look forward to working with you!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

if you ride today.....

Reply #2 - 11/16/10 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks Gravitythief76!!!!

If we can get a good group willing to volunteer, it makes this so much easier for everyone.

For any newbies that want to try this, great opportunity to learn at the Trail School at Lake Norman State Park this Saturday. 

Who's next? 

IP Logged

davidb
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 11/17/10 at 3:19am
Print Post  
Someone ask the sheep dog lady... it's her trail after all. Roll Eyes

The old daveb, who was the old surlydave, who was the old superdave...remember me?

IP Logged

EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

if you ride today.....

Reply #4 - 11/17/10 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
That would be a hoot wouldn't it.....If she'd swing a tool with us it might actually help the relationship....

Even though you were being funny, you kinda bring up an interesting point. If anyone knows any active trail runners in the area that would be interested, we can teach a trail runner just as easily as a trail rider.

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #5 - 11/17/10 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Anybody adjacent to the trail have access to a backpack blower? Just a guess, but I'm thinking the storms that just moved out likely left the trail difficult to find for those of us wanting to get a nightride in. Ill do half if you'll do half!

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

29ftw
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 11/17/10 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Gravitythief76 wrote on 11/16/10 at 5:18pm:
While I cannot commit to the time required to be full time trail coordinator, I will be happy to help lead a dedicated [u]team [/u]of individuals to assist in maintaining beatty. I DO have both Trail and Structure building experience and access to a light duty chainsaw.

Come on guys. You know you hammer this trail. Help keep it healthy. I have 3 kids, a wife, a dog and a serious riding habit to support and I'm going to help out.  

Time to step up. Many hands make light work. I look forward to working with you!

David - I'm in a similar position to you (except 1 less kid and 1 more dog).  I cannot commit to being a full-time lead but would be able to help out a few other individuals.   

Personally, I think the leaves should be left alone..but I realize that is a can of worms.

Matt

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #7 - 11/17/10 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks Matt. I'm not huge on leaf blowing either but want to take some time to walk the trail to prioritize what needs done and its hard to see what's going on under the leaves. Its also night riding "season" and its nice to be able to see where your going in the dark. If you don't mind shoot me a pm with your contact info and ill do the same. Thx

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

29ftw
Small Cog

Reply #8 - 11/17/10 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
David - sent you a PM.  One area that def needs help sooner than later is the protruding drainage pipe (black corrugated plastic) on the main trail just after entering back on from the short blue "half-moon."  Some newb is going to wreck hard on that thing.

I noticed someone blocked off a bunch of cut-arounds last week - but I heard many were already un-blocked by the weekend..

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #9 - 11/17/10 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Yeah, the pipe on the main trail, the one on the enchanted forest and the rootmaze heading toward the tennis courts were already on the short list. Honestly the cutarrounds formed by lazy walkers were one of the reasons I was reluctant to step forward. The walkers seem to have a lot more time on their hands to bypass trail than we have to maintain it! Too bad we cant harness some of that!

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

if you ride today.....

Reply #10 - 11/18/10 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Would you two be interested in co-lead trail coordinators, and split the difference?
I don't know if we've ever had co-lead trail coordinators, but myself and Nuker argue with the newly named Trail Ninja like we're triple leads at Fisher Farm sometimes, and it works just fine. Trail Ninja just gets the final say after we gripe and moan Grin

You could just cage fight or something if you can't agree like we do sometimes Cool

Seriously, thanks to both of you for posting up. Any help is appreciated. 

I think we could make it work with co-leads if you're interested. This could actually be a new concept to help us get more trail coordinators, and help those trail coordinators balance the work/life thing.  You're welcome to PM me to get on the phone if you want to talk, but regardless, thank you both for helping in any way you can.

No worries if you're not interested in the co-lead thing...just a thought

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #11 - 11/19/10 at 2:18am
Print Post  
I  walked the trail today and rode with Matt tonight. Lots of maintenance to do out there, but we identified some priority projects. Many will involve rock armoring and the removal of go-arounds. Some will require a bit of light building to do right which will mean lag screws and bolts as well as nails. Most of the berms and logpiles could also stand to see some fresh dirt. I'm Still on the fence about officially taking over as coordinator, but I will move forward with helping to get the place back in shape. Other interested parties please contact me. Experience is nice, but much of what needs done is very simple and with some direction anyone could do it.

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

29ftw
Small Cog

Reply #12 - 11/19/10 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Gravitythief76 wrote on 11/19/10 at 2:18am:
I'm Still on the fence about officially taking over as coordinator, but I will move forward with helping to get the place back in shape.

Ditto and I will defer to David on what needs to be done first and how it should be done since he's got the know-how..

IP Logged

EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

if you ride today.....

Reply #13 - 11/19/10 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
I understand the need to really think about the committment. Myself and the club really thank you for stepping up to help in any way you can. 

David, since you have some experience, and have worked with at least one of our other trail coordinators, take an assessment of the materials you think you need and contact me, and we'll go from there.

If you post up some times when you're working on our Down and Dirty trail work section of the forum, I'd like to come out some time and meet you two, and help out. I live about an hour away from Beatty, so I can't be a regular, but I'd like to meet you and thank you in person. 

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #14 - 11/22/10 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Beatty's my local trail and I'm available for some work days. Let me know when you want to get started. I'm looking forward to confounding some "corner cutters" and straightening out some "trail wideners".

We ought to notify P&R about the drain pipe. That section is their work. When it was first done, Doug S. pointed out to the park Super some issues with what they did, and he agreed it wasn't done quite right. As expected, further work now needs to be done. In the meantime, perhaps some flagging or a choke to warn riders may be in order?

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #15 - 11/22/10 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Sounds good. Look forward to having you out. I have a pretty easy/durable fix that I was planning to enact this weekend. I was going to frame the dip with some cedar and borrow a bit if the abundant stone over there to armor the washout. Let me know if you would rather me let p&r handle it.

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #16 - 11/22/10 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
I'll leave it up to you. If it's a fairly easy fix, then makes sense to do it. But this will probably be a temporary fix as the design of the storage "ponds" above the pipes is causing the washout and I think the problem will persist.

When you going out there?

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #17 - 11/22/10 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
I was hoping for Saturday morning. I want to get this knocked out so I can tackle rock armoring the nasty rooty ever-widening mess on the climb back to the tennis courts.
« Last Edit: 11/22/10 at 8:19pm by Gravitythief76 »  

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #18 - 11/24/10 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Up to 8 people now that have stepped forward and offered to help. Keep em coming! The more people with have on the Beatty trailwork email list the more likely we are able to get several people out there working at any given time! Thanks to those who have reached out already and for the rest of you..... Whacha waitin for????

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

29ftw
Small Cog

Reply #19 - 11/24/10 at 1:08am
Print Post  
Gravitythief76 wrote on 11/24/10 at 1:02am:
Up to 8 people now that have stepped forward and offered to help. Keep em coming! The more people with have on the Beatty trailwork email list the more likely we are able to get several people out there working at any given time! Thanks to those who have reached out already and for the rest of you..... Whacha waitin for????

Awesome!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print