Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tubeless Conversion (Read 1929 times)
Cherokee
Little Ring

Tubeless Conversion
06/07/13 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
I'm trying to do a tubeless conversion and have the first tire done and aired up, but have air leaking around the valve stem. Every time I air it up to seat the bead solidly, when I get to about 40 lb it blows off air around the stem down to a little below 30 lb. Of course, I plan to ride it below 30, but like this it will pop off air at every bump. Tonight I plan to break the bead down and try to round out the stem hole better and maybe enlarge it a little to let the stem's shank pull into the hole farther.

The question is whether I even have the right kind of tubeless valve stem for this. This is the one I bought:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'm thinking the shoulder is not pulling into the hole enough, but maybe I'm just not using the correct valve stem. Any thoughts?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Re: Tubeless Conversion
Reply #1 - 06/07/13 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
I use those stems and they work fine for me.  Someone told me that if you screw them down to tight then you can screw up the bottom of the stems so try not to over tighten.  It might have more to do with the rims then the stems.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #2 - 06/07/13 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
You are using the right stems

I put a minimal hole in the liner/tape and shove the stem in and tighten it down enough to smash some of the rubber base. After you air up the tire hold the leaking stem downward and shake the sealant  so it washes over the stem to help seal  any deformaties around the rubber shoulder.
« Last Edit: 06/07/13 at 7:44pm by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 06/07/13 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies. Jerry I did do that to seal around the valve base. I think my error may have been to try cut out the hole and got it irregular rather than punch a hole and push the valve through it.

The main thing is knowing I have the correct valve...I'll work on it more, but it helps to know I'm not spitting into the wind.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

phattire
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #4 - 06/07/13 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 06/07/13 at 7:44pm:
You are using the right stems

I put a minimal hole in the liner/tape and shove the stem in and tighten it down enough to smash some of the rubber base. After you air up the tire hold the leaking stem downward and shake the sealant  so it washes over the stem to help seal  any deformaties around the rubber shoulder.

This worked for me.

MY GRASS IS BLUE!

IP Logged

DZack
Coaster Bike

GO BLUE.

Reply #5 - 06/08/13 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
I'm converting mine to tubeless tomorrow.  Thanks for the tips.

IMBA member.
IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #6 - 06/09/13 at 2:41am
Print Post  
I finally got the first tire to work. The second one never would seal. I was doing this on my back-up bike mainly for the experience. I didn't have trouble with either tire sealing even without using the compressor; the problem was just with the stem. I worked on them off and on all day and finally gave up on the second tire. I think I'm through with tubeless conversions unless I find a stem with a better design. I really don't like the design of the Stans valve stem. I had a couple of unused Mavic tubeless valve stems laying around  that have a thin rubber shank that pulls into the rim hole a little and seals very well. The rubber shank is much thinner than the fairly blunt rubber wedge of the Stan's stem. However, the Mavic stem couldn't be used on my non-tubeless rim because it's designed for a double walled rim and is not threaded far enough to tighten snugly. But even without being tight, it sealed better than the Stans.

My rims were WTB rims...an internet search brings up quite a few people who have had trouble with the valve stems leaking on WTB rims. That might be the issue here.

Good luck, DZack. Let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: 06/09/13 at 11:59am by Cherokee »  

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #7 - 06/09/13 at 11:05am
Print Post  
I did the same conversion with a pair of WTB rims. It was frustrating but finally used two layers of Stans rim tape. Thes tires are a Maxxis and a Specialized Control. Took a good bit of patience (for me anyway) spinning and letting the Stans flow around the stem to get it to seal. Having a compressor helps. 
This is on my secondary bike. Six months later they still hold air.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

stateprez
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 06/09/13 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
While my general opinion is that American Classic parts are crappy, rebranded, outdated Zipp overstock, they do make lower profile tubeless valves.  Their rims won't work with Stan's valves because of the narrow channel in the rim.

Give them a shot.
« Last Edit: 06/09/13 at 8:40pm by stateprez »  

IP Logged

DZack
Coaster Bike

GO BLUE.

Reply #9 - 06/09/13 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
I have dt swiss 485d rims with Maxxis Ikon non tubeless tire and the only way I could get the tire to inflate was to add the sealant first...  Think that's what you have to do if you don't have tubeless ready tires from some youtube videos I was watching.. also I didn't really hear the bead "pop" like I heard In some of the videos but I shook the wheel around bounced it a few times and all seems to be good... ill do the rear wheel tomorrow.   

Also is there a time period I should wait before I go and ride or is it ready to go asap?

IMBA member.
IP Logged

stateprez
Little Ring

Reply #10 - 06/10/13 at 12:46am
Print Post  
DZack wrote on 06/09/13 at 11:12pm:

Also is there a time period I should wait before I go and ride or is it ready to go asap?

Ride them ASAP...a quick ride will usually fix any leaks.

I can get my Ikons to seat without sealant.  Stan's Crest, Stan's strips.

I've been running Stan's Alpha 400's (2 layers of Stan's tape) on the road with Maxxis Padrone tubeless tires, no sealant.  Aired at 100 psi, they'll go down to 90 in a couple of days.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/10/13 at 1:18am
Print Post  
I got my new rear tire pretty high up in the psi and also never heard a ping.  Is the ping mandatory haha??

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #12 - 06/10/13 at 10:45am
Print Post  
The valve stem can be cut out of an old presta tube and put into service. Not idealist works in a pinch. Smiley

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #13 - 06/10/13 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 06/10/13 at 10:45am:
The valve stem can be cut out of an old presta tube and put into service. Not idealist works in a pinch. Smiley

That's kind of what I ended up doing. Except I used the whole tube.

(No problems sealing...why didn't I think of that to start with?)  Wink

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #14 - 06/10/13 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
If you decide to pursue the tubeless conversion again Greg, feel free to bring it over. I bet we can conquer it.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print