Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New brakes time... (Read 3498 times)
Slothzilla
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: New brakes time...
Reply #20 - 06/11/13 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Check it...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #21 - 06/11/13 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks Slothzilla. Due to my anal retentive deal searching I got a set for a little less than that. I also got the wierd funnel-bleed kit thing and some Shimano mineral oil. Brakes should be on and keeping me two-wheels down by next weekend....if it ever stops raining

And steapandcheap, chainlove and all that gearscan.com stuff is awesome. DepartmentofGoods is sweet too.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

Riley

Reply #22 - 06/14/13 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
So when you get new brakes, do you also have to change rotors?

I have Tektro Draco 2's, and I need more power.  Can I use the same rotors? Or?

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #23 - 06/14/13 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
You can use the same rotors.  You have to make sure you have the right adapters with to match the rotor diameters with the new calipers.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #24 - 06/15/13 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
xchainer wrote on 06/11/13 at 4:41pm:
Shimano SLX's work great and are less expensive than XT's and have adjustable levers. Oh and I have had Hayes Stroker Trails.  Those worked great too at the time I bought them and were a big bang for the buck and i'm sure they will work better than your Avids, (heck, a foot wedged between the tire & fork will work better and make less noise than Avids) but I love the feel of my Shimano SLX's and if you want even more stopping power and a snappier feel then get the XT's for just a little more and you won't be disappointed.

This....

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #25 - 06/20/13 at 3:09am
Print Post  
Update:

XT's are cut, bled, and braking like a champ. Its night and day compared to my Avid's, and they're not even broken in yet. I was really impressed with how easy it was to cut the line down and bleed the brakes. Just need a razor blade, this weird funnel thing, and some mineral oil and in about 10mins it was done. The levers are lively and easily actuated with one finger. I really like the adjustment screw that controls the lever too. nice touch. We'll see how they handle  Pisgah downhills this weekend.
« Last Edit: 06/20/13 at 3:10am by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Reply #26 - 06/20/13 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
I've got the new style XT's w/ 7" front & 6" rear rotors on my Nomad.  My previous bike was a Stumpjumper with the new style XT's w/ 8" front & 7" rear.  I liked the feel and modulation of the larger brakes better, but the ones I have now are still leaps and bounds better than the Avids that I originally had on the Stumpy.  The XT's are quiet as well which is a big plus for me.  I would have loved to get the Hope's, but I didn't have deep enough pockets for that.  You will definitely not be disappointed with the XT's!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print