Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New brakes time... (Read 3458 times)
Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

New brakes time...
06/10/13 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Hey folks,

After spending the week riding Pisgah ive come to realize that my Avid Elixir 5s are garbage. They stop me(sometimes) but I need some brakes that are more sensitive/controllable and also provide more stopping power. Im a newb to brakes having only run the Avids and some very old Shimano mech. brakes. Im looking for something that stops with ease and can be feathered to increase control on steep descents and cornering. What are ya'll running and and/or would recommend?  Im lookong at XT/XTRs but Hopes and Formula brakes come well reviewed as well. Thanks.  Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Re: New brakes time...
Reply #1 - 06/10/13 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
The new X0 Trails are supposed to be great. I just got some Code Rs for a good deal used on Pinkbike. Any of the 4 piston brakes should have better stopping power.

On my Nomad I was running the Hayes Prime Pros with 185mm rotors and they felt good for an all mountain bike.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

-John Muir

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #2 - 06/10/13 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
My Hayes Stroker Trails have been plenty good to me everywhere I ride. I have 4 sets of them. Never needed more power. They have more of a solid lever feel.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 06/10/13 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Trails are good.  If you want more initial bite, then XT's for sure.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #4 - 06/10/13 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Hayes Stroker Trails for hydraulic, Avid BB7's for mechanical.  I like both.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #5 - 06/10/13 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 06/10/13 at 3:34pm:
My Hayes Stroker Trails have been plenty good to me everywhere I ride. I have 4 sets of them. Never needed more power. They have more of a solid lever feel.

I have them on my trail bike as well.  203mm up front 160mm rear.  They are very consistent, require no maintenance, inexpensive and come in grey or white.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

rotors and adapters sold seperately

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #6 - 06/10/13 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies. I saw that deal on the Hayes. Really nice. Im either going with those or the XTs. Im thinking either would be a significant upgrade from my elixir 5s. How easy are the Hayes to bleed/maintain when the time comes? Is an adapter and new rotors necessary? Wouldnt the hayes mount up the same as the brakes on there now besides hose length? If there is no real difference between the XTs the savings would leave me enough to get the dropper post Ive been eyeing...  Grin
« Last Edit: 06/10/13 at 5:16pm by Banjopickin »  

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 06/10/13 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Stroker Aces

4-piston and Pricepoint had em just recently for $99/caliper (great price!)
They also are one of the best for wet stopping power:

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 06/10/13 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Hayes are absolutely simple to bleed BTW.  I can have both calipers bled in about 10 mins.
Using DOT 4 fluid and a brake bleed gun...

Hayes will not disappoint
« Last Edit: 06/10/13 at 6:10pm by JR »  

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 06/10/13 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I have bikes with both hayes trials and the new XT brakes.  There is a big difference in feel. You are welcome to hook up with me sometime and try both if you want.  I also have a extra set of trails I need to get rid of.   

I think your existing rotors and adapters will work, at least I've been able to mix and match them before.

Bleeding the Hayes brakes are pretty easy.  I use the avid kit and do it the same way.

-MB
IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 06/10/13 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
If you are looking for a long-term brakeset, do some research about whether they are rebuildable. 

My wife has a set of XTR's and an OTB accident shoved the lever forward away from the bars, causing the lever to leak fluid from the lever piston area. I called Shimano about it and they told me the only fix was to buy a new lever and that they were not meant to be rebuilt.

Anyway, being fully rebuildable is now a priority for me.

And my vote is for Hope M4/X2 front and rear combo. They aren't any stronger than shimano's new brakes but they last FOREVER. Ask Btalley how long his brakes have been on his bike...and how many times he's rebuilt them.
« Last Edit: 06/10/13 at 6:45pm by Screaming Knees »  

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #11 - 06/10/13 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Yellowduck wrote on 06/10/13 at 6:16pm:
I have bikes with both hayes trials and the new XT brakes.  There is a big difference in feel.

How so?

It seems like either would work just dont know if spending the extra $$ for the XTs is worth it. Although it would match my other components for style points haha.
« Last Edit: 06/10/13 at 6:45pm by Banjopickin »  

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #12 - 06/10/13 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Shimanos have a big initial bite.  I've have hayes , avids, and the new xt's and when you hit the xt's, they just grab.  You can still modulate them very well once you get used to them but the first couple of times using them I thought they were way to powerful.  Now they are what I prefer.  To me the Hayes fell a lot like the avids I got.

For the money it is hard to beat the hayes.  I like avids but for they cost, I'd take the xt's all day long.  I got a smoking deal on the set of xt's I have.  If I could get the same deal I would have them on all three of my mountain bikes.

-MB
IP Logged

TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Reply #13 - 06/10/13 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
I like my Hope M4/X2 combo a lot.  I really considered the Shimano XT's but decided for the Hopes b/c I wanted something a little different and they had received fairly positive reviews.

Added bonus...the Hope's look really cool.

IP Logged

phattire
Little Ring

Reply #14 - 06/10/13 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
HOPE M4/X2

MY GRASS IS BLUE!

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #15 - 06/10/13 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Hopes are baller brakes, dude.  A bit on the spendy side but won't disappoint. I've had the old M6's, several sets of M4's, a set of Pro2's and currently ride with M4/X2 7" and 6" rotors.

I'm thinking of getting the M4 EVO's as they revised the lever pivot to get a bit more leverage.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #16 - 06/10/13 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Hope's are bada$$ but my pockets aint that deep. Anything is gonna be an upgrade from the Avids.  I think im going with the XTs. They review really high and seem like a good deal for the price. Plus it saves me some funds for a Reverb, Hilo or other dropper. Stay tuned for that post. Pun intended Wink

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #17 - 06/10/13 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
can't go wrong with the new shimano stuff. they have done their homework with these new generation brakes.

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Reply #18 - 06/11/13 at 3:16am
Print Post  
I think you're really splitting hairs when talking about Shimano versus Hope for brakes.  You should be super pleased with either.

IP Logged

xchainer
Small Cog

Reply #19 - 06/11/13 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Shimano SLX's work great and are less expensive than XT's and have adjustable levers. Oh and I have had Hayes Stroker Trails.  Those worked great too at the time I bought them and were a big bang for the buck and i'm sure they will work better than your Avids, (heck, a foot wedged between the tire & fork will work better and make less noise than Avids) but I love the feel of my Shimano SLX's and if you want even more stopping power and a snappier feel then get the XT's for just a little more and you won't be disappointed.
« Last Edit: 06/11/13 at 6:14pm by xchainer »  

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #20 - 06/11/13 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Check it...

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #21 - 06/11/13 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks Slothzilla. Due to my anal retentive deal searching I got a set for a little less than that. I also got the wierd funnel-bleed kit thing and some Shimano mineral oil. Brakes should be on and keeping me two-wheels down by next weekend....if it ever stops raining

And steapandcheap, chainlove and all that gearscan.com stuff is awesome. DepartmentofGoods is sweet too.

IP Logged

Riley

Reply #22 - 06/14/13 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
So when you get new brakes, do you also have to change rotors?

I have Tektro Draco 2's, and I need more power.  Can I use the same rotors? Or?

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #23 - 06/14/13 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
You can use the same rotors.  You have to make sure you have the right adapters with to match the rotor diameters with the new calipers.

-MB
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #24 - 06/15/13 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
xchainer wrote on 06/11/13 at 4:41pm:
Shimano SLX's work great and are less expensive than XT's and have adjustable levers. Oh and I have had Hayes Stroker Trails.  Those worked great too at the time I bought them and were a big bang for the buck and i'm sure they will work better than your Avids, (heck, a foot wedged between the tire & fork will work better and make less noise than Avids) but I love the feel of my Shimano SLX's and if you want even more stopping power and a snappier feel then get the XT's for just a little more and you won't be disappointed.

This....

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #25 - 06/20/13 at 3:09am
Print Post  
Update:

XT's are cut, bled, and braking like a champ. Its night and day compared to my Avid's, and they're not even broken in yet. I was really impressed with how easy it was to cut the line down and bleed the brakes. Just need a razor blade, this weird funnel thing, and some mineral oil and in about 10mins it was done. The levers are lively and easily actuated with one finger. I really like the adjustment screw that controls the lever too. nice touch. We'll see how they handle  Pisgah downhills this weekend.
« Last Edit: 06/20/13 at 3:10am by Banjopickin »  

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Reply #26 - 06/20/13 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
I've got the new style XT's w/ 7" front & 6" rear rotors on my Nomad.  My previous bike was a Stumpjumper with the new style XT's w/ 8" front & 7" rear.  I liked the feel and modulation of the larger brakes better, but the ones I have now are still leaps and bounds better than the Avids that I originally had on the Stumpy.  The XT's are quiet as well which is a big plus for me.  I would have loved to get the Hope's, but I didn't have deep enough pockets for that.  You will definitely not be disappointed with the XT's!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Print