Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tubeless w/ compressor - what do I need? (Read 1513 times)
Ridefour15
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Tubeless w/ compressor - what do I need?
06/18/13 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I have access to a compressor at work as well as the attachment to pump up car tires, and I own a Schrader to Presta adapter.  Do I just put the adapter on the valve and pump up with the compressor to seat the bead?  I tried yesterday with my floor pump but I couldn't pump fast enough for the bead to seat.

I'm using Specialized 2Bliss tires with Roval rims that came stock on my Stumpy. I also used Gorilla Tape for the rim tape and want to make sure I can get the bead to seat well before I put sealant in it, sort of like in this video: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 06/18/13 at 9:48pm by Ridefour15 »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Re: Tubeless w/ compressor - what do I need?
Reply #1 - 06/18/13 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
My tool for car tires did not work well with the adapter and tire.  If your Valve has a removable valve core, just take that out use the blower nozzle and just blow air in.  Then cover with your thumb and screw it back in.  That worked really well.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 06/18/13 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
+1, the adapter will not push the little dicky thing in the air chuck to let the air out.  A air nozzle with the valve core out will work.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

DZack
Coaster Bike

GO BLUE.

Reply #3 - 06/18/13 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
I had to put the sealant in for the bead to catch..

IMBA member.
IP Logged

Gibbs
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 06/18/13 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
I am a big fan of using simple green vs soap suds.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 06/18/13 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
I'll see if I can take it to work tomorrow and blow it up without sealant just to get the bead to hook.  The valve core comes out super easy with the valves the bike came with.  (Oddly enough it came with the tubeless-ready valve stems, but not tubeless-ready rim tape!)

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/18/13 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
If its not sealing just push around the tire and try to get it to fill the rim. 

Good luck!

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #7 - 06/19/13 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Ridefour15 wrote on 06/18/13 at 11:47pm:
I'll see if I can take it to work tomorrow and blow it up without sealant just to get the bead to hook.  The valve core comes out super easy with the valves the bike came with.  (Oddly enough it came with the tubeless-ready valve stems, but not tubeless-ready rim tape!)

Was the rimstrip brown? If it was, that's. what you use to make it tubeless.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 06/19/13 at 10:49am
Print Post  
It was red, and one shop already told me it wasn't for tubeless. Looked like a pretty standard non-adhesive strip after I pulled it off.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #9 - 06/19/13 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
I used Gorilla tape and doubled up on the layers. Using a compressor with the core out of the valve stem works great but you still have to wrastle the tire around on the rim to get it to seat. Soapy water ln the bead helps. Work the tire bead up onto the rim bead with your hands first. Be careful pressing the compressor nozzle directly onto the valve stem with the core taken out. If its thin metal you can bend it and your valve stem core wont screw in properly and you'll slowly leak down. Or it will rocket outta there and youll blow out.
« Last Edit: 06/19/13 at 12:18pm by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #10 - 06/19/13 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
You may have already tried this, but it helps to take the tire off the rim and inflate a tube in it with a lot of air. This blows out the sidewalls beyond normal. Leave that in the sun a while so that the sidewalls sort of set in that position. Then when you put it on the rim the sidewalls are sprung out toward the rim and they're easier to inflate. It also helps to inflate the tire ON the rim with a tube and let it set a while to push the bead into place. Then try to just break the bead down on one side of the rim to get the tube out. If you can do that without breaking off the bead on the other side, that's 50% that you don't have to worry about. I've never had any issues with Specialized 2 Bliss tires inflating. In fact, except for an S Works 2 Bliss (which has thinner, flimsier sidewalls than the Control series), I've been able to inflate them on tubeless rims with my floor pump. The S Works was more of a challenge and did require the compressor.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/21/13 at 10:14am
Print Post  
So how did it go?

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #12 - 06/21/13 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Had an insane week at work and never got a chance to try it on the compressor.  Hopefully next week I'll be giving it a shot.  I still need to buy some latex anyways so I might just take it to CBC and have them help me out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print